gregeric

Re: PI Zero

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:39 pm

mattmiller wrote:
SDIO WiFi
What's SDIO WiFi?
WiFi module connected to the Pi's SDIO interface exposed on GPIO header.

Recipe: 1 x ESP-12E or F module @ £2 off ebay, solder 6 wires, build kernel module, add line to config.txt -> 40Mbps WiFi, with the single USB port left free to host arm mbed board (or whatever else). £6 BOM inc Zero.

echmain

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:44 pm

Adafruit had some in this morning.

They went from "In stock" to "45 in stock" to "Sold Out" in about 30 minutes.

The Zero must be the Cabbage Patch doll of SBCs.

Jednorozec

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:30 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Jim JKla wrote: Unfortunately the wi-fi radio is adding to the heat death to quote Larry Niven "TANSTAFL". :shock:
That was Robert A. Heinlein in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
That's what I thought but it predates Heinlein: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain ... free_lunch
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

mattmiller

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Recipe: 1 x ESP-12E or F module @ £2 off ebay, solder 6 wires, build kernel module, add line to config.txt -> 40Mbps WiFi, with the single USB port left free to host arm mbed board (or whatever else). £6 BOM inc Zero.
Love the idea - is there a thread/instructable on the subject so we don't derail the complaints on this one :)

gregeric

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:25 pm

The full version of my tl:dr summary above is here: https://hackaday.io/project/8678/instructions

The 33 Ohm resistors aren't needed (tested here OK & I note the Zero itself skips these series-termination resistors on its uSD slot).

If you prefer a (slightly) less hackish approach than flying bodge wires then I have a few spare builds of my own twist on this: https://hackaday.io/project/10097-shabp ... or-pi-zero

Jim JKla

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:06 pm

And Niven was the first place I read TANSTAFL.

Not shure who said it first Hinelen is credited with poularizing it.

TANJ. ;)
mattmiller wrote:
they do seem to be staying in the shops a few hours longer than before
Nope = PiHut lasted 1 hours before selling out yesterday - Pimoroni just lasted a bit longer this time as no-one was expecting any and had give up checking the website!
One per costomer will be slowing things as well
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Jim JKla wrote: Unfortunately the wi-fi radio is adding to the heat death to quote Larry Niven "TANSTAFL". :shock:
That was Robert A. Heinlein in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
That's what I thought but it predates Heinlein: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain ... free_lunch
Fair enough, but modern popularity traces to Heinlein, and definitely NOT Niven. If it had been in a Niven work, it would probably be a Niven-Pounelle collaboration and would have been put there by Pournelle at a guess, as it's rather more a Pournelle sort of line than Niven.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Jim JKla wrote:And Niven was the first place I read TANSTAFL.
What book? TMiaHM was published in 1966. Niven didn't even start getting published until 1964, so he almost certainly got it from Heinlein.

Jim JKla

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:34 pm

I was just saying I read Niven before I read Heinilen, Sheeesh!

Plus Niven may have got it from popular culture you could go ask Larry Niven he is still around. To go ask Heinilen could be an issue he died 1988 so I gues we cannot realy ask him unless Ouija Board anyone?

Its a pointless argument I am begining to wish I hadn't bothered with the citation, but thats a spin-off from a University Education for you you have to cite someone or its plagiarism. 8-)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

W. H. Heydt

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:43 am

Jim JKla wrote:I was just saying I read Niven before I read Heinilen, Sheeesh!

Plus Niven may have got it from popular culture you could go ask Larry Niven he is still around. To go ask Heinilen could be an issue he died 1988 so I gues we cannot realy ask him unless Ouija Board anyone?

Its a pointless argument I am begining to wish I hadn't bothered with the citation, but thats a spin-off from a University Education for you you have to cite someone or its plagiarism. 8-)
Okay... Niven may have used it. I don't recall seeing the phrase in any of Niven's works. That's why I wanted a citation. I haven't read all that much Niven. I have, however, met him on a number of occasions (I only met Heinlein once, at Mid-Americon, the 1976 worldcon in St. Louis, where he was GoH). The last time I saw Niven was at a memorial for Poul Anderson.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:47 am

Can't be bothered to split this in to Off topic, so either start a new thread of stop posting. Everyone knows that Number of the Beast was the worst book ever by anyone, so that brings this discussion to an end.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “General discussion”