hippy

Re: PI Zero

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:14 pm

mikerr wrote:first bar is the magpi #40, others are pihut/pimoroni stock dates
It was widely reported Eben had said 20,000 were sold in the first few days, 10,000 with Mag Pi ... so where did the other 10,000 go ?

lpsw

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:33 pm

I've gotten 3 Pi zeros from Adafruit without much hassle. I say on their notification list, and order promptly when I get the in stock notification. Also helps to have the other odds and ends already in your shopping cart: you will need them, lessens the shipping cost shock, and gets the order in before stock falls to ... wait for it... zero.

Edit: all bare boards, no pre-compiled kits.
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:17 pm

hippy wrote:
It was widely reported Eben had said 20,000 were sold in the first few days, 10,000 with Mag Pi ... so where did the other 10,000 go ?
To people like you! At least 10k have gone out for general sale, probably a lot more. I thought 100k had been made up front, but I might have misheard.

Eben and Liz are on holiday at the moment, so an update on supply won't be in till next week at the earliest.

But really is is simply down to demand outstriping supply, SoC lead times, and the Pi3 using up production capacity. Not sure why people are still wondering about it. Just be patient. Equilibrium will be arrived at sometime!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Jednorozec

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:44 pm

jamesh wrote:Just be patient. Equilibrium will be arrived at sometime!
Hopefully before the heat death of the universe. :?
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

hippy

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:51 pm

jamesh wrote:
hippy wrote:
To people like you! At least 10k have gone out for general sale, probably a lot more.
It was directed more at mikerr; where are those misiing 10,000 on the graph ?

mattmiller

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:40 pm

If Liz is away - you mods better get back to deleting/locking PiZero threads or YOU'LL be the ones feeling the wrath!

mattmiller

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 pm

And is their holiday plans not a breach of data protection/privacy laws?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:29 am

jamesh wrote: Eben and Liz are on holiday at the moment, so an update on supply won't be in till next week at the earliest.
I'm glad they're getting one. Completely incommunicado, I hope.
But really is is simply down to demand outstriping supply, SoC lead times, and the Pi3 using up production capacity. Not sure why people are still wondering about it. Just be patient.
Yeah...those are points I've been making, and I'm not even a moderator. I just consider those issues to be dead obvious.
Equilibrium will be arrived at sometime!
Promise? (After all...are you *sure* you'll see equilibrium conditions in your lifetime?)

Jim JKla

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:21 am

Jednorozec wrote:
jamesh wrote:Just be patient. Equilibrium will be arrived at sometime!
Hopefully before the heat death of the universe. :?
I was hoping to build a super computer with a bunch or RPi Zero's and maybe use them to calculate the heat death of the universe and the contribution millions of RPi's make to that end. :D

Its good to know that the hiatus in RPi Zeros is a function of a pipeline restriction and demand for the RPi3 rather than some design to kill it's availability.

Seems my RPi Zero project drops to monthly check status. 8-)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

mattmiller

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 am

rather than some design to kill it's availability.
What made you say that?

Why would a charitable organisation want to kill a device that makes them no money because it was priced too low and they don't feel able to own up to making a little mistake - oh wait .........

jamesh

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:39 am

mattmiller wrote:
What made you say that?

Why would a charitable organisation want to kill a device that makes them no money because it was priced too low and they don't feel able to own up to making a little mistake - oh wait .........
Mistake? What mistake? As long as Pi3 is selling well (so far so good!), they can afford to make Zeros. After all, it serves the educational aims of the Foundation. They gave 10k away on the front of a magazine remember.

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:49 am

mattmiller wrote:
What made you say that?

poppycock and balderdash
they priced it to be as close to 0 as possible
it's priced in dollars
the factory is probably spending 99% of it's time producing PI3
PI0 can only be done in small spurts
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:09 am

We've had complaints that this thread is just regurgitating the same thing over and over again. I'm inclined to agree, so unless you have something new to say, please avoid posting. I'll leave it open for the moment, in the perhaps vain hope that something useful will be posted.

Jim JKla

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:13 am

mattmiller wrote:
What made you say that?

I said that (Note I am the originator of that quote) because there was an extremely low posibility that the Foundation had decided to place its efforts elsewhere like discontinuing the Zero and concentrating on the RPi3.

That extracted quote was a throwaway example speculation (Not a prediction) Another example could be "Some random employee in a fit of jilted love rage decided to burn down the factory" :D I have and don't want to sugest that the Foundation wants to kill of any product line however if they do it is their perogative.

My original post was a request for feedback on the percieved hiatus in RPi Zero availability which has kindly been provided in another therad (Osbourne Effect) by jamesh.

Please I implore you not to make it look like I am suggesting Foundation policy by taking selected sections of my posts and twisting them to your own interpretation. ;)

For what its worth I now know that the reason is as RaTTuS says.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

mikerr

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:28 am

hippy wrote:
jamesh wrote:
hippy wrote:It was widely reported Eben had said 20,000 were sold in the first few days, 10,000 with Mag Pi ... so where did the other 10,000 go ?
To people like you! At least 10k have gone out for general sale, probably a lot more.
It was directed more at mikerr; where are those misiing 10,000 on the graph ?
WJDK ;)
The first bar represents the 10k magpi - I've not seen specifically where the other 10k went so can't put it on the graph without a weblink

Presumably they went to suppliers in the first batch - farnell did actually sell them initially too.
but how many UK/US split ? - remember that graph is UK only
- let me know if you have stock dates for US shipments - then I could do a worldwide graph
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Pithagoros

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 am

1PM today, Pihut. Small batch of Zeros will be available in stock.

Source: @thepihut - twitter.

(I've no connection with Pihut, just trying to help)

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Pithagoros wrote:1PM today, Pihut. Small batch of Zeros will be available in stock.

Thanks. I think I just got one. At least it let me pay for it :lol:

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

BMS Doug

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:25 pm

texy wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:1PM today, Pihut. Small batch of Zeros will be available in stock.

Thanks. I think I just got one. At least it let me pay for it :lol:

Texy

I think you got one, they are still listed as being in stock now.
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... 4062715972

I got an e-mail from the Pi-Hut at 12:40 mentioning that they had a nice range of Pi-Zero cases (but not that they would shortly have Pi-Zero's in stock), I like that marketing strategy, customers who are interested in peripherals for the zero might accidently discover that the Zero's are in stock.

I'm not buying any Zero's this time around, once the limit is lifted I'll buy 10 but I don't need a single one that desperately.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:24 pm

I did get a shipping email, so it's on its way, however the Pi Hut has now sold out......
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

rpdom

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:00 pm

I got one too, but won't be able to check my email until I get home later.

Jim JKla

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm

I got one but I need at least another four real drip feed stuff :(

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:27 pm

Jim JKla wrote: I was hoping to build a super computer with a bunch or RPi Zero's and maybe use them to calculate the heat death of the universe and the contribution millions of RPi's make to that end. :D
Are you going to call it "Universal AC" and ask it if entropy can be reversed?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:30 pm

jamesh wrote:We've had complaints that this thread is just regurgitating the same thing over and over again. I'm inclined to agree, so unless you have something new to say, please avoid posting. I'll leave it open for the moment, in the perhaps vain hope that something useful will be posted.
I've been mildly surprised that it has lasted this long.

mikronauts

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:43 pm

By carefully watching PiMoroni I've been able to get enough Zero's for my prototyping needs - and they were very helpful when I had some shipping issues. To make the per unit shipping less painful, I got some nice books for my nephews :)

Right now, I am in a holding pattern, waiting for the time I can order in 50 unit blocks per shipment, for embedded use.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mattmiller

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:01 pm

We've had complaints that this thread is just regurgitating the same thing over and over again
Well you yourself provided the new info on SOC lead times that no-one else had mentioned so its not the same old stuff

Its a new real and understandable reason for low production - maybe it would have been good for Foundation to have mentioned it early on as its hardly something that needed to be kept secret - no interaction with Pi3 on that front - I wonder why they didn't?

Dare I suggest it's because they don't want to admit that they completely missed the market demand for the #PiZero and have some deep aversion to admitting errors?

And who are these people that are complaining - are they incapable of ignoring a thread that they are not interested in?

I think lots of other threads are full of useless stuff but I respect that the people involved in it don't do I leave them to it

Return to “General discussion”