Jim JKla

PI Zero

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:49 am

Since the only people who actually know what is happening with the RPi Zero have locked the thread with a status of ask the distributors (who have reportedly nil stock) otherwise no news.

Please Liz all I ask please clarify has the PI Zero:

a) Stopped production never to rise again.

b) Its in production building stock for release somtime (approx month would do).

c) We have ramped up production and we don't know why the distributors are pleading nil stock.

d) The RPi zero has been withdrawn for a redesign.

e) Why should we tell the community anything they just buy the product and they are our slaves HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! ;)

We would love to hear anything other than NO News. PLEASE.

I have two projects screaming for the frontier promised by the RPi Zero but a NO News option when it is absolute fact that you are the only people that actually have any chance of knowing anything.

Please stop torturing me.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

W. H. Heydt

Re: PI Zero

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:23 am

Last week Adafruit had some Pi Zeros in. I missed seeing the bare board, but the kits (at $30 and $60) stayed around for a while. IIRC< Pimoroni did the same. Therefore, those colse enoguh in the US should keep an eye on MicroCenter this coming week and for mail order, PiHut ought to have some at some point.

In other words, the situation is what Liz said it is in the stickied thread. Therefore I expect this thread to get locked and--possibly--deleted.

cjan

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:57 am

as for P-3 out same price, here local dealer sale stock P-2 for 50% off, who need P-0? unless you need small dimension.

TimG

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:59 am

At first we saw stock arriving regularly, although it sold very quickly. But for the past month or so I haven't seen any Zeros at all.
I appreciate that production schedules are a touchy subject. But I wish we could know whether to keep searching for Zeros, or whether we should just do something else for a while and wait for news.

echmain

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:16 am

My local Microcenter has a bunch of the Pi Zero kits in stock.

It's a $25 bag o' stuff. I was in the store twice within a week and it looks like the stock hadn't changed (just eyeballing it).

But the board by itself hasn't been in stock in weeks.

Duhjoker

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:19 am

Try everyone's favorite auction site, that's where I found mine though your gonna pay 5x what they are supposed to sold for.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:28 am

echmain wrote:My local Microcenter has a bunch of the Pi Zero kits in stock.

It's a $25 bag o' stuff. I was in the store twice within a week and it looks like the stock hadn't changed (just eyeballing it).

But the board by itself hasn't been in stock in weeks.
Yeah...that's the problem. The suppliers want to sell "kits" that have enough markup for them to be happy. Those of out here on the of the chain want just the boards because we either have or can get (much cheaper) any additional bits we need. So far as I can tell, some bare boards are being sold, but they go fast. The kits are selling much more slowly, so they hang around now that the "I want a Pi Zero at ANY cost" has mostly been sated. Kind of funny that the one kit I bought, which I groused about at the time (before I found out that the Usual Suspects weren't handling the PI Zere, though I did eventually get it) was a lot cheaper at $13.50 than most of the ones that are being offered now.

CarlRJ

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:06 am

The last I heard, the foundation stated that they were sending new stock to two retailers (out of an authorized handful) each week, cycling through the group. The site http://whereismypizero.com has been quite good at showing who has it in stock when.

Jednorozec

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:40 am

I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny or the Pi Zero because I've never seen any of them. :cry:
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:13 am

Jednorozec wrote:I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny or the Pi Zero because I've never seen any of them. :cry:
I'll grant you the first two, but I have 3 Pi Zeros. I put it down mostly to luck and getting myself on waiting lists...and one that I got by not knowing that the usual suppliers weren't handling them.

Pithagoros

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:16 am

Just follow the distributors on twitter, you don't even have to get a twitter account because the stuff is all public:
This from @thepihut on Saturday.

"Small batch of #pizero? Next week? Oh, go on then!"

So The PiHut are expecting a small batch in next week, from which you can infer many of the answers to your questions. This is the way that Zero is being made available at the moment and until we are told different I don't expect this to change.

I have all the zeros that I need (I have 7 and I've given another 5 away), just from keeping an eye on things.

mikerr

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:59 am

Small batch ? Was hoping for a large batch and lifting of 1-per customer :(

Oh, and the "weekly" schedule hasn't really been kept (no UK stock for the past 4 weeks)
[edit] seems I missed pimoroni last week - graph amended

first bar is the magpi #40, others are pihut/pimoroni stock dates , source data here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... OpkKwCxNk/

When will we see the the 150,000 being made some time ago... ?
eben wrote:I placed another 150,000 POs [production orders] – well, a pair of POs, a 50K and a 100K – in the last couple of days,” Raspberry Pi Foundation co-founder Eben Upton explained during an interview in early February. “It’d be good to get to a point where we’re doing at least 50,000 a month for Zero. I think we could do 50,000 a month on Zero pretty comfortably.”
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... -on-track/
Last edited by mikerr on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

rpdom

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:02 am

mikerr wrote:Small batch ? Was hoping for a large batch and lifting of 1-per customer :(
That would be nice.

My Zero died (no idea why) and I want to replace it. Just two more would be great.

gregeric

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:06 am

mikerr wrote:Oh, and the "weekly" schedule hasn't really been kept (no UK stock for the past 4 weeks)
Pimoroni had some on sale last week, now all gone - sorry can't help with quantities.

chrisoh

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 am

mikerr wrote:Oh, and the "weekly" schedule hasn't really been kept (no UK stock for the past 4 weeks)
Zero boards were in at Pimoroni a few days ago, kits lasted a couple of days IIRC
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

Ongelma

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:42 am

modmypi has them at the moment in a kit form also. 13£ a piece aint too much imho.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 pm

mikerr wrote:Small batch ? Was hoping for a large batch and lifting of 1-per customer :(

Oh, and the "weekly" schedule hasn't really been kept (no UK stock for the past 4 weeks)
[edit] seems I missed pimoroni last week - graph amended

first bar is the magpi #40, others are pihut/pimoroni stock dates , source data here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... OpkKwCxNk/

When will we see the the 150,000 being made some time ago... ?
eben wrote:I placed another 150,000 POs [production orders] – well, a pair of POs, a 50K and a 100K – in the last couple of days,” Raspberry Pi Foundation co-founder Eben Upton explained during an interview in early February. “It’d be good to get to a point where we’re doing at least 50,000 a month for Zero. I think we could do 50,000 a month on Zero pretty comfortably.”
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... -on-track/
I suspect that order depends on the fab making the 2835, and the leadtime for those is measured in months, simply because it takes that long to fit them in the schedule (cannot pay for quick manufacture, too expensive) and make them. I wouldn't expect those to hit the market for another month at least.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

mattmiller

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:50 pm

How on earth have ModMyPi got some PiZero?

Has the retailer distributor market opened up?

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:49 pm

mattmiller wrote:How on earth have ModMyPi got some PiZero?

Has the retailer distributor market opened up?
They haven't! They have had it listed since it came out, but they do not have any. If you click the item, it will say they are sold out. It's purely speculative on their part.

mattmiller

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Well in that case #LOL

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:45 pm

mattmiller wrote:How on earth have ModMyPi got some PiZero?
Short selling? I think PiSupply may have been doing that too in the hopes of acquiring some stock. Sometimes you roll the dice and get 6 :D , sometimes you get 1. :oops:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

liudr

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:58 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Last week Adafruit had some Pi Zeros in. I missed seeing the bare board, but the kits (at $30 and $60) stayed around for a while. IIRC< Pimoroni did the same. Therefore, those colse enoguh in the US should keep an eye on MicroCenter this coming week and for mail order, PiHut ought to have some at some point.

In other words, the situation is what Liz said it is in the stickied thread. Therefore I expect this thread to get locked and--possibly--deleted.
I doubt that you missed it. I have subscribed to notification for $5 pi zero and never got a notification. But I saw the kits in stock last week. They must be selling exclusively the kits, possibly to get more profit out. I usually recommend people to adafruit for rpi or arduino stuff. I'm a bit disappointed with what they appear to be doing with pi zeros.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

liudr

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Jednorozec wrote:I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny or the Pi Zero because I've never seen any of them. :cry:
That reminds me. Got to stuff some plastic eggs with gifts. Will zero fit or can you use it as tooth fairy cash?
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:15 pm

liudr wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Last week Adafruit had some Pi Zeros in. I missed seeing the bare board, but the kits (at $30 and $60) stayed around for a while. IIRC< Pimoroni did the same. Therefore, those colse enoguh in the US should keep an eye on MicroCenter this coming week and for mail order, PiHut ought to have some at some point.

I doubt that you missed it. I have subscribed to notification for $5 pi zero and never got a notification. But I saw the kits in stock last week. They must be selling exclusively the kits, possibly to get more profit out. I usually recommend people to adafruit for rpi or arduino stuff. I'm a bit disappointed with what they appear to be doing with pi zeros.
I'm on the notification list. So far as I can tell, they only send out notifications to the top N people when they N of the item in, thus if they get (plucking an arbitrary number out of the air) 50 to be sold as just the board, they notify the first 50 people on the bare board waiting list.

stderr

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm going to agree with you on this one. Other than for concept type testing, it will only be when one can just go and buy a brick of ten of these pi before they will really be useful. Buying one after waiting two months isn't going to change anything. What makes them useful is that you have a lot of them and they are very low cost. And this is attractive to people who want to use them for a lot of small projects and for people who fear they might damage the device learning how to build their projects. If both apply to you, all the better!

Return to “General discussion”