DaHai8

Wishing for a Raspberry Pi Zero Christmas

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:02 am

I watched the video interview of Eben Upton covering the new Raspberry Pi 3 and greatly appreciate how quickly the new RPi has been distributed and stocked around the world - including here in Shanghai where it is already for sale and in stock are very reasonable prices (around 250-280¥, or ~$40USD). I appreciate that his company is producing 100,000 of these units every week.

I just wish he would free up a little more production bandwidth for the Pi Zero, instead of just fringe production. At almost 4 months after its announcement, its still very hard to find in the States and only available in single quantities here in China at outrageous prices of over 1700¥!!

I have projects that I produce and sell based on the Pi boards and its just not possible to develop/test on the Pi Zero because none are available.

Because very few are being produced, very few are sold and even less is being developed for that board because there are none to buy, hence even less demand and sales. Resulting in lost revenue all around. Is this perhaps because the profit margin for the Pi Zero is 'zero' or negative (a loss-leader product), so there is no profit incentive to ramp up production in the first place?

Duhjoker

Re: Wishing for a Raspberry Pi Zero Christmas

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:19 am

Can we hope to see a 64-bit Zero 2 any time soon.

I would like to have a pi3 but they all come in model B's which means i would have to hack the USB's and the ethernet off to use it.

Also why ethernet? With the built in wifi and bluetooth it kinda makes it redundant?

That space could better be used by three single USB's instead of doubles and the ethernet.

davidcoton

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:20 am

Duhjoker wrote:Can we hope to see a 64-bit Zero 2 any time soon.

I would like to have a pi3 but they all come in model B's which means i would have to hack the USB's and the ethernet off to use it.

Also why ethernet? With the built in wifi and bluetooth it kinda makes it redundant?

That space could better be used by three single USB's instead of doubles and the ethernet.
Talk to Farnell, they will design and build them for you.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:23 am

Duhjoker wrote:Can we hope to see a 64-bit Zero 2 any time soon.

There is a RPi 3A and CM a coming, so no requirement for yet another I want a special RPi whinge and whine :shock:

The ZERO can not be sold at the entry level price point if had to go the expense of 64bit ARM CPU.
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 am

DaHai8 wrote:I watched the video interview of Eben Upton covering the new Raspberry Pi 3 and greatly appreciate how quickly the new RPi has been distributed and stocked around the world - including here in Shanghai where it is already for sale and in stock are very reasonable prices (around 250-280¥, or ~$40USD). I appreciate that his company is producing 100,000 of these units every week.

I just wish he would free up a little more production bandwidth for the Pi Zero, instead of just fringe production. At almost 4 months after its announcement, its still very hard to find in the States and only available in single quantities here in China at outrageous prices of over 1700¥!!

I have projects that I produce and sell based on the Pi boards and its just not possible to develop/test on the Pi Zero because none are available.

Because very few are being produced, very few are sold and even less is being developed for that board because there are none to buy, hence even less demand and sales. Resulting in lost revenue all around. Is this perhaps because the profit margin for the Pi Zero is 'zero' or negative (a loss-leader product), so there is no profit incentive to ramp up production in the first place?
If you have products you sell commercially you should be utilising the CM and creating your own carrier board as the product is supported by the RPT Trading partners.

https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... dule-learn

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... ts/8134164

The ZERO is developed and sold by RPT ;)
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duhjoker

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 am

Sorry whats a cm?

Which can farnell build for me? The dream pi model A or the 64 bit zero.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 am

Duhjoker wrote:Sorry whats a cm?

Which can farnell build for me? The dream pi model A or the 64 bit zero.
https://www.element14.com/community/com ... ute-module

https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... on-service

You are obviously prepared to buy 3,000 because you are positive you can sell them :?: :?:

Duhjoker

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:42 am

Ahhh really? Nevermind, i just need a couple.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:44 am

Production of Zero should ramp up once the demand for Pi3 dies down a bit. It's inserted in to gaps in production. Eben says should be able to make 50k a month in a few months. Over 200k have already been made and sold (IIRC), so no, it's not really being made in small quantities!

All this is covered in the Zero availability thread, so locking.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”