CaptSunset

Western Digital jumps onto the Pi BandWagon

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 am

Don't know how many of you ever registered a new drive with Western Digital, but they'll then send you email more often than your best friend... ;)

I got an unusual one today and thought it's something of a benchmark in Pi popularity/recognition, here's a part of it:

WD PiDrive 314GB* (Native USB 7mm HDD – slim drive)

WD 314GB PiDrive
Give yourself a slice of Pi with the custom-engineered WD PiDrive 314GB! Built to be uniquely Pi, the WD PiDrive 314GB works more efficiently with Raspberry Pi than a standard WD hard drive, and is compatible with WD PiDrive accessories available at the WD Store. With 314GB of instant capacity, you can create your own DIY projects without breaking the bank.

*Sold in US, UK, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cypress, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia,Slovenia, Sweden.

*As used for storage capacity, one terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes, and one gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment.

Orders will ship by March 30th
Model: WD3140LMCW
Regular Price: $45.81
$31.42

Maximum order quantity: 5
-----
Lower power consumption

Customized HDD power management for use with Raspberry Pi.
The WD PiDrive 314GB has been engineered to draw less power from your Raspberry Pi.

Fully customizable

Customize your projects to your desired needs. The WD PiDrive 314GB is as unique as your Raspberry Pi to give you mass storage, while staying compatible with our enclosures and the WD PiDrive cable kit.

Reliability

Leveraging very mature HDD technology, based off of the WD Blue slim drive.

A unique software solution for new users

As a free download on the WDLabs website, a special WDLabs Berryboot* version will be available that includes additional Raspberry Pi applications specific for HDD storage usage.

*Berryboot is a simple operating system installer (open-source software) and boot selection screen for ARM devices, like Raspberry Pi, to create a cleaner plug and play experience. It allows you to install multiple

It actually cuts off there on its webpage, but for the record, here's the link:

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/D ... d.70262300

solar3000

Re: Western Digital jumps onto the Pi BandWagon

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:42 am

Interesting. I wonder how low the power consumption is.
Antikythera

mochito441

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 am

First post..
I was surprise to open my email at WD and to see that it mentioned Raspberry PI day. Just started testing my Raspberry PI last week what a perfect timing.

gregeric

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:12 am

Are you sure it's not a little bigger than that, like 314.15926...GB? And $31.42 lol.

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:19 am

yeah I posted that yesterday viewtopic.php?f=93&t=140122
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:47 am

CaptSunset wrote:Don't know how many of you ever registered a new drive with Western Digital, but they'll then send you email more often than your best friend... ;)

I got an unusual one today and thought it's something of a benchmark in Pi popularity/recognition, here's a part of it:

WD PiDrive 314GB* (Native USB 7mm HDD – slim drive)

WD 314GB PiDrive
Give yourself a slice of Pi with the custom-engineered WD PiDrive 314GB! Built to be uniquely Pi, the WD PiDrive 314GB works more efficiently with Raspberry Pi than a standard WD hard drive, and is compatible with WD PiDrive accessories available at the WD Store. With 314GB of instant capacity, you can create your own DIY projects without breaking the bank.

*Sold in US, UK, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cypress, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia,Slovenia, Sweden.

*As used for storage capacity, one terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes, and one gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment.

Orders will ship by March 30th
Model: WD3140LMCW
Regular Price: $45.81
$31.42

Maximum order quantity: 5
-----
Lower power consumption

Customized HDD power management for use with Raspberry Pi.
The WD PiDrive 314GB has been engineered to draw less power from your Raspberry Pi.

Fully customizable

Customize your projects to your desired needs. The WD PiDrive 314GB is as unique as your Raspberry Pi to give you mass storage, while staying compatible with our enclosures and the WD PiDrive cable kit.

Reliability

Leveraging very mature HDD technology, based off of the WD Blue slim drive.

A unique software solution for new users

As a free download on the WDLabs website, a special WDLabs Berryboot* version will be available that includes additional Raspberry Pi applications specific for HDD storage usage.

*Berryboot is a simple operating system installer (open-source software) and boot selection screen for ARM devices, like Raspberry Pi, to create a cleaner plug and play experience. It allows you to install multiple

It actually cuts off there on its webpage, but for the record, here's the link:

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/D ... d.70262300

Better late than never posting about WD Products :?

http://store.wdc.com/store?Action=Displ ... .y=7&Go=Go
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

hippy

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:58 pm

WD have been riding the Pi bandwagon for a while now. There is some suggestion that this will utilise the Pi 3B's ability to boot direct from USB device ( no SD card needed ). I am not sure how correct that is but the possibility of USB ( and PXE ) booting for the SoC has been publicly announced.

beta-tester

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:03 pm

a HDD specially for the RPi... is that a joke... do we have the 1'st of april already?!
instead of making the world to fit to RPi, isn't it better to make the RPi to fit to the world?
IMO, slowly but surely it starts to get a bit silly.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

CaptSunset

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:48 pm

"Sold in US, UK, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cypress, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia,Slovenia, Sweden."

Barely On Topic: This list seems kinda odd to me; like analyst Robert Redford muttering in 3 Days of the Condor :
'UK but not Ukraine, Finland but not France, Greece but not Germany, Portugal but not Poland'.
Mebbe there'll be secret messages for Pi spies on these drives? 8-)

solar3000

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:06 pm

hippy wrote:WD have been riding the Pi bandwagon for a while now. There is some suggestion that this will utilise the Pi 3B's ability to boot direct from USB device ( no SD card needed ). I am not sure how correct that is but the possibility of USB ( and PXE ) booting for the SoC has been publicly announced.
What? Come again?
Boot directly off the USB? You mean no SD card inserted? Or SD then USB?
Antikythera

Aydan

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:07 pm

beta-tester wrote:a HDD specially for the RPi... is that a joke... do we have the 1'st of april already?!
instead of making the world to fit to RPi, isn't it better to make the RPi to fit to the world?
In the end it's "just" a USB harddrive, usable with anything that supports USB mass storage.
I think it's a long overdue idea, because with USB3 the USB bus is fast enough for proper HDD access and you don't need the usual SATA-USB adapter any more.
The Pi-ness is just a marketing gag.

gkreidl

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:15 pm

CaptSunset wrote:"Sold in US, UK, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cypress, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia,Slovenia, Sweden."

Barely On Topic: This list seems kinda odd to me; like analyst Robert Redford muttering in 3 Days of the Condor :
'UK but not Ukraine, Finland but not France, Greece but not Germany, Portugal but not Poland'.
Mebbe there'll be secret messages for Pi spies on these drives? 8-)
In Germany a special charge has to be added on all mass memory devices to support copy right owners, which makes it almost impossible to sell at a very low price (currently 27.09 incl. VAT in the UK) and it's also a bureaucratic burden.

BTW and AFAIK, Farnell and RS never sold RPis to end users in Germany. Luckily we have a lot of good resellers.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Aydan wrote:
beta-tester wrote:a HDD specially for the RPi... is that a joke... do we have the 1'st of april already?!
In the end it's "just" a USB harddrive, usable with anything that supports USB mass storage.
I think it's a long overdue idea, because with USB3 the USB bus is fast enough for proper HDD access and you don't need the usual SATA-USB adapter any more.
The Pi-ness is just a marketing gag.
Western Digital started marketing products aimed at RPi nearly a year ago, with the 1TB PiDrive

http://store.wdc.com/store?Action=Displ ... .y=7&Go=Go

Where does USB3 speed come from? the RPi only supports USB2 :?

gregeric

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:21 pm

More like 6 months since the original 1TB PiDrive, also native USB3.0. Future proof ;)

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:29 pm

gregeric wrote:More like 6 months since the original 1TB PiDrive, also native USB3.0. Future proof ;)
OK 7 moths is that better and stop you nitpicking ?

http://liliputing.com/2015/09/wd-pidriv ... ry-pi.html

CaptSunset

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:55 pm

Do you guys think that USB 3 will be on the next Pi upgrade?

How hard is that to impliment? Could it happen this year? :o

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here; this is the War Room!

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:01 pm

CaptSunset wrote:Do you guys think that USB 3 will be on the next Pi upgrade?

How hard is that to impliment? Could it happen this year? :o

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here; this is the War Room!
The SoC does not support USB3, which by searching you would of discovered, many many many posts.......

RPT never have produce a Roadmap of future upgrade / products :D
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hippy

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:03 pm

solar3000 wrote:
hippy wrote:WD have been riding the Pi bandwagon for a while now. There is some suggestion that this will utilise the Pi 3B's ability to boot direct from USB device ( no SD card needed ). I am not sure how correct that is but the possibility of USB ( and PXE ) booting for the SoC has been publicly announced.
What? Come again?
Boot directly off the USB? You mean no SD card inserted? Or SD then USB?
It's not clear what we may be getting or exactly how it will work, but the possibility was stated in MagPi and has been mentioned on the forum -

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=138071#p921635

Pithagoros

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:14 pm

It's a low power, low cost single platter HDD with the BerryTerminal BerryBoot bundled.

I think BerryBoot needs to go on the SD card but OS or several OSes can go on the HDD.
I would go for an SSD, even at a higher price.

gregeric

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:32 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
gregeric wrote:More like 6 months since the original 1TB PiDrive, also native USB3.0. Future proof ;)
OK 7 moths is that better and stop you nitpicking ?

http://liliputing.com/2015/09/wd-pidriv ... ry-pi.html
You're counting insects, I'm counting months: mid-March is 6 months from mid-September, surely. :roll: :!: :?: :lol:

Repartition the drive GPT/EFI & maybe it'll be ready for 2837 boot?

GTR2Fan

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Aydan wrote:I think it's a long overdue idea...
It's hardly something they've just started doing this minute. ;)

The phrase "jumping on the bandwagon" infers a degree of underhandedness to me, but I don't see that when the original 1TB PiDrive worked out much cheaper than buying all the parts separately from anywhere else, plus you're guaranteed that they'll all work together nicely. I'd call that "third-party support". :)
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Aydan

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:45 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Where does USB3 speed come from? the RPi only supports USB2 :?
This
Aydan wrote:I think it's a long overdue idea, because with USB3 the USB bus is fast enough for proper HDD access and you don't need the usual SATA-USB adapter any more.
was not aimed at the Pi but generally, of course the Pi can't take advantage of that.

Regards
Aydan

BMS Doug

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:22 pm

The Pi has enough popularity now that it's worth their time marketing the product for Pi users (and they can still aim for other markets, making the product compatible with the Pi doesn't make it incompatible with other computers).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

PMI

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:58 pm

This does not look like a new product at all. Western Digital hard drives with native USB 3.0 ports can be found in the WD Passport, which is an external HD with native USB and a nice case, $59 for a 1TB drive on amazon or bestbuy.com.

There is also a single-platter 500GB version, so the 314GB bare drive looks like a crippled 500GB drive, albeit at a decent discount (for now). There is not much demand for the 500GB drive elsewhere, since the WD Passport 1TB version is only about $10 more than the 500GB.

Intellipower, and/or RPS (Reduced Power Spinup) can already be found in some WD laptop and small NAS drives. RPS is pretty old hat at that (1)

All anyone needs to do is search for which WD products have "native USB", and which ones have reduced power on start or intellipower (many like the WD5000LPVT and WD5000LPVX are reasonably priced). There is plenty of information on the web already.

This to me looks like a marketing exercise, not a new product at all, and definitely no need for a complicated cable harness or a special power supply. The last thing anyone needs is more cables and another wall-wart... :roll:

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:12 am

PMI wrote:This does not look like a new product at all. Western Digital hard drives with native USB 3.0 ports can be found in the WD Passport, which is an external HD with native USB and a nice case, $59 for a 1TB drive on amazon or bestbuy.com.

There is also a single-platter 500GB version, so the 314GB bare drive looks like a crippled 500GB drive, albeit at a decent discount (for now). There is not much demand for the 500GB drive elsewhere, since the WD Passport 1TB version is only about $10 more than the 500GB.

Intellipower, and/or RPS (Reduced Power Spinup) can already be found in some WD laptop and small NAS drives. RPS is pretty old hat at that (1)

All anyone needs to do is search for which WD products have "native USB", and which ones have reduced power on start or intellipower (many like the WD5000LPVT and WD5000LPVX are reasonably priced). There is plenty of information on the web already.

This to me looks like a marketing exercise, not a new product at all, and definitely no need for a complicated cable harness or a special power supply. The last thing anyone needs is more cables and another wall-wart... :roll:
I got a look at one yesterday. While the Pi-related features may not be worth it to you, somebody did a nice job on it, physically. The case has a slightly recessed area in the top that neatly fits a Pi in a case (that way the cased Pi won't slide around). There is a single cable that starts with a female micro USB connector and connects to the drive, the power connector for the Pi and a USB port on the Pi, so a single (rather complex) cable and a single PSU will do.

Since the drive USB is USB3, there's a bit of "future proofing" there. Even no Pi has USB 3 (yet!), there are other boards that do.

I was going to order one, just to experiment with, but after seeing the unit, I've ordered two.

Next up, I'd like to see them bring out a similar, say about 60GB, SSD and/or a 1.8" (or less) drive.

Return to “General discussion”