obarthelemy

Re: Publicity stunt...

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I think the best publicity stunt would be to seed 500-1,000 of those to tech journalists, tech bloggers, general media, and educators. With a nice pre-installed SD with some WOW stuff, Quake obviously, a sample BR movie (or a topical HD trailer, and a visually impressive one), and a good looking graphical dev environment.
Then we all get popcorn and watch Eben on Colbert. He kinda likes British guys. \"So you\'re socializing IT ?\" \"no: we\'re making about 50 margin per unit\" \"... like my buddy Steve was doing !\" \"well it\'s more 50 cents than 50%, but the principle is the same !\".

Wooloomooloo

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:13 am

I couldn\'t resist spoofing a certain well-known \"ad\" - I think the cheekiness of it alone (riding on the back of its counterpart) would make it a viral video, but the pure awesomeness of RasPi will definitely help...:

Front seat of a car, laptop connected to the dashboard ODB connector, running a busy CLI on the passenger\'s seat, driver trying to start the car in vain. Stern voice / tagline: \"You wouldn\'t reprogram your car...\"

Guy poking in vain at a mobile phone, screen is frozen into a classic \"corrupted LCD\" mish-mash of coloured lines and random image tiles. Stern voice / tagline: \"You wouldn\'t mess with your phone...\"

Desktop PC case with various dangling cables / wires from its open side, thick smoke billowing out, monitor with \"No signal\" OSD, guy holding a soldering iron trying to wave away the smoke. Stern voice / tagline: \"You wouldn\'t mod your computer...\"

Guy removing a DVD-ROM from the tray of a DVD player (with a flashing 12:00 perhaps?), next to which a TV with a blue screen and a single center \"Error: boot image corrupted\" message. Stern voice / tagline: \"You wouldn\'t hack your DVD player...\"

Young kid typing at a desk with soldering station, random parts, and a RasPi with a monitor showing the source code window, a running video window, etc. Cheered up voice / tagline: \"But you COULD let your kid freely tinker and learn on a $25 computer...!\" then possibly stats of RasPi, webpage, etc.

C\'mon, you have to at least admit it would be hilarious... ;)

Desmon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 am

giving rasberry pies (as in eatable) with a small led light show on them -> cheap, and it will make a lot of people curious and happy <-eats pie

meltwater

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:32 am

@Wooloomooloo do we get a badge if we\'ve done all of that?

I think they should open up and each of those things and show little gremlins doing all the work, and then tag line like...
\"Send the gremlins home, and take control...R-Pi\"

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Steven

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Whatever is used as the publicity stunt, It could use this song, or a reworked version to grab attention too. Raspberry_Pi_Edited
http://www.zshare.net/audio/96593577be06e3a7/
(Couldn\'t find a better audio host - sorry)

matthewtb

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:20 pm

good one

lahdekorpi

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Montekuri said:

Quote from abishur on November 18, 2011, 18:06
If I were to do a publicity stunt, I think I would do something along the lines of demonstrating how much pollution is produced powering a typical laptop

My laptop takes 120V @3.5A which comes out to 450 W...

...The r-pi on the other hands uses 5V at .7A which equals 3.5 watts using this 24 hours a day for 365 days a year equals a mere 30.66 kWh used for the entire year.

And a label: Intel is HOT, but R-Pi is Sooooo Cooooolllll

The weirdest thing this year: seeing my Celeron video from 2006 on the Raspberry Pi forum

Return to “General discussion”