nautilus27

Pi 3 first impressions

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:47 pm

So I jumped on the hype wagon and got me the new Pi 3. Been testing it the whole day, not sure if it did impress me.

First, pros:
-Wi-fi performance is satisfactory, replaces my wi-fi adapter well.
-Bluetooth is a good bonus though I couldn't send pics from my phone.
-Fits my old case.

then, cons:
- Poor performance. I been a Pi 2 user. IT was slow both in LXDE and web browsing. Pi 3 improved things a bit, it feels snappier in Raspbian but web browsing still feels laggy on Raspberry Pi. I tested it on highly overclocked Pi 3. 1300Mhz cpu, 500Mhz core_freq, 600mhz ram, 100mhz sd card overclock. My SD card is the fastest available= Samsung Pro Plus 32GB (95MB read/90mb write) I have both heatsink and fan. Tested on both Epiphany and Ice weasel web browser.

-Doesn't replace desktop. Choppy youtube playback. 5 browser tabs fill the ram. If you are looking for a desktop replacement, Pi 3 is still not there yet. But it is blazingly fast as a media center (OpenELEC, RetroPie)

Not related to Pi 3 but I also don't like the fact that we still can't play videos using VLC. Sure I can enjoy fully H/W accelerated video on OpenELEC but in terms of desktop replacement, VLC-like GUI based video applications are essential. (Plz don't bring GUI wrappers for OMX player. It feels like Windows 3.1)

I think Pi makers can make a beefier Pi 3 and sell it at a higher price point. I don't mean it like Raspberry Pi replacement. It could be another product line just like low power focused Pi Zero:

1) Low power model line ( like model A, Pi Zero)
2) Current Raspberry Pi models (Pi2, Pi3)
3) Enthusiast level, high performance model line (A lot faster CPU, fast 2GB DDR3 dual channel memory, much faster eMMC, HDMI 2.0 and 4K support, gigabit ethernet, 2xUSB 3.0 ports etc...) I'd happily pay $125 for such a Pi model and stop using my ridiculously powerful and power hungry laptop (i7 4940MX at 4.0Ghz, GTX 880M 8GB, 32GB 2133Mhz ram, 3x SSD Raid0) for silly tasks such as web browsing, torrent download, word processing and reserve it only for Dota 2 and video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro & After Effects. I have a handy switch button on my monitor that switches from HDMI sources. I cloud switch between Pi and my laptop with a press of a button.

Banana Pi and Orange Pi both are filling the gaps with models that you guys leave empty. I don't wanna buy their models because their software support is horrible and community is not good as Raspberry Pi.

kusti8

Re: Pi 3 first impressions

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:25 pm

It all depends on the software. I find it plenty fast. Chromium is speedy on the Pi. For youtube videos you can use youtube-dl.

Also remember what the Pi was meant for. Teaching kids to code. $125 is not suitable for teaching kids to code. If you don't like it, get another but they will never be perfect.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Heater

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:45 pm

nautilus27,
I jumped on the hype wagon and got me the new Pi 3...
I almost had to stop reading there. I am not aware of any "hype" regarding the Pi 3. Or any other Pi for that matter.
...web browsing. ... youtube playback ... videos ...
Ah, so you don't actually want a Pi for what it was designed for. I understand.

Feel free to buy ""<random fruit name> Pi" if that suits you better.

GTR2Fan

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:06 pm

nautilus27 wrote:Poor performance. I been a Pi 2 user. IT was slow both in LXDE and web browsing. Pi 3 improved things a bit, it feels snappier in Raspbian but web browsing still feels laggy on Raspberry Pi. I tested it on highly overclocked Pi 3. 1300Mhz cpu, 500Mhz core_freq, 600mhz ram, 100mhz sd card overclock.
Overclocking a Pi2B has a very similar effect, except that the desktop and browsing are reasonably slick. I've no idea what you've done to make your desktop slow, and I can only assume that you were using a lousy browser for web browsing for it to be 'laggy'.
My SD card is the fastest available= Samsung Pro Plus 32GB (95MB read/90mb write)...
Your SD card is not the fastest available. Anything much over 45MB/s reads/writes is totally wasted as it can't be used by a Pi so serves no purpose (feel free to prove me wrong by posting test results to the contrary if you have some), but there are a few cards around roughly half the rated speed of yours that have faster small file read/write speeds, so you could gain some useful performance there.
-Doesn't replace desktop. Choppy youtube playback. 5 browser tabs fill the ram. If you are looking for a desktop replacement, Pi 3 is still not there yet. But it is blazingly fast as a media center (OpenELEC, RetroPie)
Used within sensible limits as dictated by the hardware, even a Pi2B can be used as a desktop PC replacement of sorts. I'm using one now with no major issues. What else were you expecting and why?
Not related to Pi 3 but I also don't like the fact that we still can't play videos using VLC. Sure I can enjoy fully H/W accelerated video on OpenELEC but in terms of desktop replacement, VLC-like GUI based video applications are essential. (Plz don't bring GUI wrappers for OMX player. It feels like Windows 3.1)
Then install KODI on top of Raspbian and have the best of both worlds without having to either reboot NOOBS or change cards to go from one to the other. A Pi2B or Pi3B are more than capable enough of pulling this off with complete slickness.
I think Pi makers can make a beefier Pi 3 and sell it at a higher price point...
I won't quote the rest as all it shows is that you've clearly missed the whole reason for the Pi and the Raspberry Pi Foundation existing in the first place.
Last edited by GTR2Fan on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

morphy_richards

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:25 pm

I'm still wondering what to do with mine.
I suppose it will make an excellent replacement for the rev2 pi B that powers kodi in the living room... Hmm, to heat sink or not to heat sink... :?

Heater

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Get the heat sink. They are all the rage today. If you don't have a heat sink you are not "in". The bigger the better.

For extra street cred get a fan. A big noisy fan. Then your friends will know you are serious.

Pithagoros

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:41 pm

Heater wrote:Get the heat sink. They are all the rage today. If you don't have a heat sink you are not "in". The bigger the better.

For extra street cred get a fan. A big noisy fan. Then your friends will know you are serious.
I'm considering getting some thermal insulation for my Raspberry Pi, or I may even get a heated case for it, possibly even mount it over a lit bunsen burner. I'm feeling a bit left out by all these people with the solder dripping off their Pis.

GTR2Fan

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:44 pm

I do worry about people who go the heatsink and fan route without giving any indication as to whether or not they've actually checked to see if they need one. :?
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

MikeDunn

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:28 am

GTR2Fan wrote:I do worry about people who go the heatsink and fan route without giving any indication as to whether or not they've actually checked to see if they need one. :?
Awww, you worry about me ? That's nice.

Yup, I bought one without checking to see if I need one. Well, at the massive cost of £1 onto my order, I thought it rude not to ;) Will I ever use it ? Maybe, maybe not - it depends on whether I see any issues. If I don't - well, it's only a quid :lol: But if I do - well, I would have one around I could use immediately; call it a low-cost insurance policy. Picked it up through those nice chaps @ Pimoroni when I bought the new case from them.

GTR2Fan

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:46 am

MikeDunn wrote:Yup, I bought one without checking to see if I need one.
A heatsink is not a heatsink and fan.

Mandrewpi

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm just going to get the Dremel and an extra bios chip heat sink if I ever need a heatsink. I think I can make about 4 pi sized sinks out of one. For a fan I have a pi case with a 30 mm fan superglued to the top ;) .
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

nautilus27

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:03 am

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... &tab_idx=2

Now this is a Raspberry Pi 3 kiler. Why can't Pi foundation can come up with something like this? Pi 3 officially asks for 5.1v 2.5A power adapter for peak load yet this board can work perfectly fine with just 2.0 amps at peak load, despite being much much faster. It has 2.0Ghz quad core A53 cores with Arm v8 instruction set, 2gb ddr3 memory, gigabit ethernet, infra red receiver, hdmi 2.0 @4k 60p support. It is only 40 dollars and yet the performance difference is like day and night. It feels like using a x86 Intel i3 laptop.

Pi 3 performance is like a pathetic pentium 3 processor from a century ago. This has been a major letdown for me, I guess I set my expectations too high. I will sell my Pi 3 and move on to Odroid.

I will keep using 1 of my 2 Pi3's for retropie&openelec dual boot. For my media center. But for programming, daily usage, dekstop replacement Odroid C2 is going to be my choice.

Kratos

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:32 am

Pithagoros wrote:
Heater wrote:Get the heat sink. They are all the rage today. If you don't have a heat sink you are not "in". The bigger the better.

I'm considering getting some thermal insulation for my Raspberry Pi, or I may even get a heated case for it, possibly even mount it over a lit bunsen burner. I'm feeling a bit left out by all these people with the solder dripping off their Pis.
Don't forget the liquid nitrogen. I usually pump it in tubes over the main CPU. It helps keep things cool.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

HankB

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 am

nautilus27 wrote:http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... &tab_idx=2

Now this is a Raspberry Pi 3 kiler. Why can't Pi foundation can come up with something like this? ...
Definitely a nice looking board. And at nearly double the price of a Pi. Gigabit Ethernet looks great but why no USB 3.0? I suppose they had to meet a price point as well. I think it is great to have other choices for when a Raspberry Pi is not a good fit.

As to why the foundation does not do this, I am not involved in their decision process but I suppose it boils down to focusing on a particular price point or level of capability. They do have a stated goal of education and GigE is not required for that.

Another aspect of this is the community. I wonder how the community surrounding the ODROID compares to what RPF have cultivated here. I guess you will find out if you go that way and perhaps can let us know.

Edit: I may be wrong about price, having seen it on Amazon for ~$60 US which is about what a Pi3 is going for there. :shock: The ODROID-C2 lists for $40 on their site.

stderr

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:18 am

nautilus27 wrote: the performance difference is like day and night. It feels like using a x86 Intel i3 laptop.
Do you even have one?

stderr

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:24 am

HankB wrote::shock: The ODROID-C2 lists for $40 on their site.
I think that they want right about $42 plus whatever shipping is on the Amerdroid or whatever it is site. You are looking at the South Korean site which supposedly ships all over although they appear to have more local sellers in various countries.

Oldbitcollector

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:17 am

Just ran the unit for the last couple hours...

Iceweasel (Firefox) reasonably well.. Once I loaded a decent ad blocker, surfing the internet was comfortable enough without feeling like I was having teeth drilled. Definitely could replace my workstation for internet surfing in a pinch.

Wireless wasn't fast enough, but given that I could easily switch to my Ethernet connection, it doesn't really present an issue for me.

First impressions, this borders on workstation speeds, perhaps not a speedy workstation, but certainly amazing for $35.00
My Ongoing Raspberry Pi Reference: http://www.ledgerlabs.us/raspberrypi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:56 am

nautilus27 wrote:http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... &tab_idx=2

Now this is a Raspberry Pi 3 kiler. Why can't Pi foundation can come up with something like this? Pi 3 officially asks for 5.1v 2.5A power adapter for peak load yet this board can work perfectly fine with just 2.0 amps at peak load, despite being much much faster. It has 2.0Ghz quad core A53 cores with Arm v8 instruction set, 2gb ddr3 memory, gigabit ethernet, infra red receiver, hdmi 2.0 @4k 60p support. It is only 40 dollars and yet the performance difference is like day and night. It feels like using a x86 Intel i3 laptop.

Pi 3 performance is like a pathetic pentium 3 processor from a century ago. This has been a major letdown for me, I guess I set my expectations too high. I will sell my Pi 3 and move on to Odroid.

I will keep using 1 of my 2 Pi3's for retropie&openelec dual boot. For my media center. But for programming, daily usage, dekstop replacement Odroid C2 is going to be my choice.
Good luck.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”