meltwater

Re: Cotton Candy prototype

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:59 am

Well the spec is very high, so I guess you can forgive the price (although it\'s a high end tablet without a screen or battery)...

Overall, I think it has a limited market, but then it may well suit some peoples needs ideally, but there are too many overlaps of other ways you can do similar things (if indeed it does what it claims) without spending that money or paying a little more for something more suited.

If you DO want to run android on your laptop, then try the x86 Android project and you too can fight the urge to prod your monitor over and over.

I guess they mean you can use any old laptop to run it, but then would you spend $200 in that instead. My try using VNC on android was far too slow to be usable, fingers crossed the R-pi will be ok doing that.

It has some interesting ideas, and concepts (real or not) so you never know.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

na1pir

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:59 am

I see benefits of such device in portability. If you own old slow laptop this could make it a bit faster.

You can have all applications and data you need on a stick without need of rebooting target device (if device is computer in internet cafe). Or if you would like to show your pictures or videos on big tv at your friends house or just surf the web...

Or you can use it at work for all personal stuff so your corporate network stays clean of personal data. All your data stays inside and there is no need to run power hungry vnc server at home ...

kiaas

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Computer-on-a-usb-device isn\'t that new of a concept, though I think most used MIPS or PowerPC(such as the blackdog from \'05) and weren\'t targeted at media playback. Such as the blackdog was about security. They didn\'t quite have USB-stick form factors, but somehow I imagine that formfactor for a PPC machine at least would have been asking for a lot 6-7 years ago.

Pirx-Danford

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm

I think we are having a glimpse on what the future of devices will be all about.
Modularized and broken down to fit to a certain purpose, but with an own OS to be completely self-contained and usable without any additional tech.

Even screens might soon be old tech, why not connect such a device into VR-goggles?
(I already plan to do this with the raspi!)

Oh you want to play the latest superduper 3D game?
Just plug in a nvidia accelerator and you are ready to go.
Plug in where? Well into your thunderbolt line you already have your bed room wall screen attached to (no not a screen on the wall, the wall is the screen, printed out oled tapestry it is), also on that line is some smart phone (irrelevant if iphone or android or whatever is to come yet), a receiver from your wireless controller (if you use one and not use kinect or such).
So your smart phone is too weak to scale the output of lets say, the elder scrolls VIII - return to morrowind - to a 120 inch frame to your wall?
Put one, two or three accelerators on your thunderbolt line, well or just buy the game in something like onlive and let the output stream via your smart phone.

Eeeeh I am getting carried away ^^

billium

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 am

May be they do not want to risk ordering 10k at a time, but if they did in the future the price may come down. I\'ll assume android will be easily ported to the Rasperry Pi.

Svartalf

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:58 am

[quote]Quote from billium on November 22, 2011, 00:24
May be they do not want to risk ordering 10k at a time, but if they did in the future the price may come down. I\'ll assume android will be easily ported to the Rasperry Pi.[/quote]

Heh... Here\'s a hint...

The Pandaboard is getting a similar deal from TI to the one that the R-Pi is getting from Broadcomm. I can\'t see how they\'re getting the price down to the $200 price-point in the first place.

As for Android...well, yes and no. You will probably be able to get Froyo to run on a model B and sort of get Gingerbread to run on it. There will be no way to get anything \"modern\" from Android to run on a model A board- and Froyo\'s probably going to be the only thing that\'ll work \"well\" on the R-Pi. Part of the problem is the ARM on the SoC. Part of it is the total RAM profile. CM7 sort-of runs decently on my Droid 1. It occasionally goes off into the weeds and becomes non-responsive in a GC loop because it doesn\'t have enough RAM and needs to have a house-clean or a hard reset done at that point. I mention this because there\'s one thing in common between a model B board and my Droid- 256Mb of RAM.

Chris

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:53 pm

I honestly hope they get this item on the market but nearer the $100 price point. Would be another one of those items just \"good to have\" knocking around for that simple task. Might be more powerfull than the R-PI but the R-Pi would have pride of place on my desk always, its the whole aspect of then R-Pi which catches my attention, where as with Cotton Candy it would just be the form factor.

Wooloomooloo

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Actually, there is nothing new under the sun. The whole \"computer/linux-on-a-stick\" concept is old as dirt, up to and including the \"sneak back upstream over the USB and seize the host\'s peripherals\" schtick - see Black Dog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackDog), which - quite entertainigly exactly as has been suggested above - seems to have morphed into some sort of corporate-secure-mcguffin thingy.

None of that takes away of course from how absolutely awesome RasPi is - I\'m just saying the idea is older that you might think.

kiaas

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:57 pm

[quote]Quote from Wooloomooloo on November 25, 2011, 13:46
Actually, there is nothing new under the sun. The whole \"computer/linux-on-a-stick\" concept is old as dirt, up to and including the \"sneak back upstream over the USB and seize the host\'s peripherals\" schtick - see Black Dog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackDog), which - quite entertainigly exactly as has been suggested above - seems to have morphed into some sort of corporate-secure-mcguffin thingy.

None of that takes away of course from how absolutely awesome RasPi is - I\'m just saying the idea is older that you might think.[/quote]
So I\'m not the only one who remembers the blackdog :D (I made a post about it on the last page.)

Wooloomooloo

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:24 pm

[quote]Quote from kiaas on November 25, 2011, 13:57
So I\'m not the only one who remembers the blackdog :D (I made a post about it on the last page.)[/quote]
Heh, just noticed it... :D I tried to skim all the posts in the thread, but somehow I missed that you mentioned it already...

Return to “General discussion”