na1pir

Re: Cotton Candy prototype

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:32 am

I\'we just stumble upon a website http://www.fxitech.com/products/ and their Cotton Candy prototype looks awful like one of early USB stick alike R-Pi prototypes showed in May.

It would be interesting to know who was first to thought of such design.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:37 am

Interesting. The USB stick Raspi, although only shown in May, was actually a year old at the time so older than that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

meltwater

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 am

Looks like a nice product. The form-factor is very much like the original proto, not half as flexible as R-pi is now. Still should be an interesting alternative to apple tv.

There are two key aspects which aren\'t mentioned on their site...price and availability.
The spec looks rather high, so the price I\'d guess would be over $100, but who knows.

ok...found this [slashgear]:
\"FXI Tech reckon the Cotton Candy should be on sale by the 2012 holidays, with pricing expected to settle at around the $200 point.\"
That\'s a lot to lose down the back of the sofa.

\"When hooked up to a Windows, Mac or Linux computer, meanwhile, Cotton Candy can borrow their peripherals and present its own UI either full-screen or windowed.\"
Now that is a neat trick. Is that basically VNC over usb?

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

jamesh

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:21 am

That\'s a lot of dosh!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

matt_heys

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 am

Nice idea though.

It would be great as a corporate device, portable, roll your own Linux on it so it can be secure, takes a lot of the worry about using an internet cafe and leaving behind cookies or temporary internet files.

We have a web based external access to our document management system, this is a worry when people use it on a public PC, plug one of these in and they will could have open office and all they need, plus any temporary files will go with them.

However with only a USB Device port and HDMI connector if I plug it in the TV does that mean I need to use Bluetooth peripherals.

I don\'t think RPi need to worry though, serves a different need and is 8 times the price.

On a last note what is HDMI 2.1 I thought the latest was 1.4.

meltwater

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am

Might be an idea to provide a secure tether to the user\'s wrist or you\'ll be distributing them all over the place.

I think they may have a little issue if mobile phone manufacturers implement hdmi output more frequently (or even wireless display links) or pico projectors...their market will shrink quickly.

They don\'t mention USB OTG and could be a bit of an issue hot-swapping devices on the same connector as your power.

Memo to self...
1. Install VNC server for android on my phone.
2. Install VNC on pc.
3. Install VNC on R-Pi, connect to TV.
4. Look smug (or at least if I had a R-Pi - but that is a small detail).

I wonder what kind of lag you\'d get when connected through the thin client though.

Burngate

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:54 am

Of note is it\'s only a prototype!

meltwater

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:00 am

Yep but it is a prototype that mentions Android, so all the news sites will feature it.

I\'m sure if you created a prototype wheelie bin which runs Android and they\'d write a post for it. Edit: In fact if you glued an iPad to it you\'d probably get even more interest.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

I just found out about that last night and posted about it from the RP Twitter account - it\'s fantastic to see other stuff in this space, and it looks like a really neat little toy. But I hadn\'t seen that they were planning on retailing for $200 last night, which is a bit disappointing.

People said \"It\'s only a prototype\" about our prototype, which got annoying after a bit...
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lakes

Nice, but not $200 nice!
You`d need one of those retractable key-chain thingys so you did`nt leave one behind. :)

Lakes

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:03 am

[quote]Quote from meltwater on November 18, 2011, 11:00
Yep but it is a prototype that mentions Android, so all the news sites will feature it.

I\'m sure if you created a prototype wheelie bin which runs Android and they\'d write a post for it. Edit: In fact if you glued an iPad to it you\'d probably get even more interest.[/quote]Your wheelie bin dials the council if the lid is`nt shut... :)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:07 am

[quote]Quote from Lakes on November 18, 2011, 11:03
[quote]Quote from meltwater on November 18, 2011, 11:00

I\'m sure if you created a prototype wheelie bin which runs Android and they\'d write a post for it. Edit: In fact if you glued an iPad to it you\'d probably get even more interest.[/quote]Your wheelie bin dials the council if the lid is`nt shut... :)[/quote]

Or phones you if a cat has been thrown into it?
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

meltwater

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:50 am

Careful now, or you know where all our council tax will be going to.

Burngate

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:48 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on November 18, 2011, 11:00
People said \"It\'s only a prototype\" about our prototype, which got annoying after a bit...[/quote]
Yeah ... sorry.
How about \"It\'s only a prototype: I wonder how big it\'ll be when it\'s in production? Credit-card size?\"
I\'ve suddenly realized I\'m feeling quite protective of the Pi, don\'t want any competition. But you\'ve already said you\'d like competition!

carlosfm

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:53 pm

USB male on one side and HDMI on the other.
What does it serve for?
If you connect it directly to the HDMI plug on the TV or monitor, the male USB will be standing, waiting for... huh... a female/female adapter?
Reversing the connection will get to the same situation, on the HDMI.
Do you Pi?

Svartalf

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:13 pm

You\'re shelling out $200-ish because of the small form factor combined with it being a small company. I\'m pretty sure they\'re not getting the volume discounts on some aspects that the Raspberry Pi Foundation\'s getting right at the moment. @liz: I\'d believe I\'d be a bit annoyed if it were myself in the same position- I can\'t say I blame you.

Jongoleur

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Its just been posted on a certain \"technology website\" and the CC website appears to have been slashdotted (oops). Of course, it says it will be running android and it can run \"apps\"; they\'re loving it at the moment....

Jongoleur

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:06 pm

[quote]Quote from Burngate on November 18, 2011, 15:48
[quote]Quote from liz on November 18, 2011, 11:00
People said \"It\'s only a prototype\" about our prototype, which got annoying after a bit...[/quote]
Yeah ... sorry.
How about \"It\'s only a prototype: I wonder how big it\'ll be when it\'s in production? Credit-card size?\"
I\'ve suddenly realized I\'m feeling quite protective of the Pi, don\'t want any competition. But you\'ve already said you\'d like competition![/quote]

Its not really competition, is it, apart from in the most generalised sense that its a small form factor and can be plugged into a TV. To compete, it\'d have to be a tenth of the price (going on the current estimate on its own website) and it\'s have to run something rather better than a locked down cell-phone :-) operating system thats mainly a platform for \"apps\" and media content.

Never mind, remember that dodgy patent thingy a while back? Cotton Candy would walk right into it.

matt_heys

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:04 pm

[quote]Quote from carlosfm on November 18, 2011, 15:53
USB male on one side and HDMI on the other.
What does it serve for?
If you connect it directly to the HDMI plug on the TV or monitor, the male USB will be standing, waiting for... huh... a female/female adapter?
Reversing the connection will get to the same situation, on the HDMI.[/quote]

I think when it\'s plugged in to a tv the USB will probably be needed for the power. When it\'s plugged in the pc it looks like some sort of VNC over USB and displays on the PC in a window.

carlosfm

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Nah, I\'ll pass.
Do you Pi?

cnxsoft

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:54 am

If you think 200 USD is expensive, you\'re probably spending too much time on the Raspberry Pi forum.:)

The Cotton Candy is like a small version of the OMAP4 Pandaboard development board that costs 174 USD.
Smartphones based on OMAP4 (like the Galaxy S2) now cost over 500 USD.

The Raspberry Pi and that device would be used for different things.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:10 am

cnxsoft: Well, more like a small version of the Samsung Origen board (it uses the Exynos SoC).

na1pir

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 am

Well 200 USD is almost fifth of my monthly wage. Until it gets under 75 US$ it is way too steep for me, just look into cost of materials of such device...

barnaby

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:06 am

To me, their marketing copy stinks of corporate BS.

What the hell is \'consumer friendly access to the cloud\'? How does it drive down the cost of computing, if you have to buy a monitor and Bluetooth keyboard+mouse? And why on earth would any mac user want to run the android Smartphone OS on their laptop?! Even if they did use it on a smartphone, it\'s hardly optimised for a trackpad and keyboard. I dread to think what any of these vague \'apps\' they talk about would look like. I also fail to see how it \'extends the life of consumer hardware\' apart from old tvs (old tvs… that have hdmi?), because I\'m pretty sure this isn\'t aimed at the market of people unable to upgrade their OS, and so needing this to access the \'latest OS and apps\'.

I can see the benefits of plugging it into a tv (same benefits as raspi, only more expensive), and it has one advantage over the raspi in that it comes with wifi built in. But apart from that I cannot see any huge benefit for the projected cost — and their website puts me right off.

Cheers,
Barnaby

tufty

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:48 am

[quote]Quote from barnaby on November 21, 2011, 08:06
What the hell is \'consumer friendly access to the cloud\'?[/quote]
\"You can buy shit with it\".

Return to “General discussion”