RogtheDodge

Raspberry Pi 3 and Motorola Lapdock

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi all
Just fitted my new RPI 3 to the Motorola LapDock. It works perfectly.
( Anyone not familiar with this combination see: http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... a-Lapdock/ )
There are still a few Lapdocks available - search Ebay. I got mine from Israel, as it has a qwerty layout.
I downloaded the latest 'Jessie' fitted the Pi to the dock, powered up, just fine. There didn't seem to be a problem with the Pi 3's extended power requirements, though not used it for extended length of time. Just entered my Wireless password and connected to internet. My it's fast!
Great stuff

zeitalex

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 and Motorola Lapdock

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:16 am

Hi,
How did you manage audio? Just got my RPi3 yesterday, plugged in into Lapdock, and no audio. I have uncommented hdmi_drive=2 in config.txt and did modprobe snd_bcm2835, but still no audio. Audio works well with RPi2.
Thanks a lot in advance
Alex

RogtheDodge

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:37 am

Hi
Must admit not got round to trying the audio! Will experiment to see what the problem is.

TheEditor

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Can I ask what connector/cable you used for the HDMI? The Lapdock requires DCC/CEC to ground and none of the connectors/cables I have found work. The ones that I can find link for that people claim work are no longer available.

Thanks,
T.E

skspurling

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:56 am

Noticed that the pi3 acts like it is a bit underpowered when I tried the opengl driver. The system boots to a point and then reboots. Same issue happens when i turn high usb current on for the pi 2, and run it off the lapdock.

douglaslara

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:23 pm

for me it did not work, the keyboard and trackpad give no signal in raspberry, to connect to my computer works normally someone with this problem too?

ddurdle

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:43 am

Ya, with opengl enabled, it flashes in-and-out of the multi-coloured screen (indicating undervoltage). It is sporadic. Usable but can get annoying. I am also powering a SSD.

Simply too little power by the dock. I witness sporadic built-in wifi on the pi 3 as well when powered by the dock & and using a SSD, with opengl disabled.

When I power the pi 3 using a ipad brick and use the dock, everything works well (SSD, reliable wifi, opengl enabled). No undervolting flashscreen after hours of tests.

ddurdle

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:52 pm

My issues with powering SSD + using built in wifi (without packet loss/latency) + opengl enable was resolved by replacing the regular length USB micro power cable with a 2 inch one.

RogtheDodge

Tue May 17, 2016 10:00 am

Hi all
Sorry for delay in posting.
Ref: the HDMI connection - I use a special HDMI plug: mini socket on one side (connect to LapDock), normal HDMI plug on the other (connect to Pi). Then use a Female USB to Female micro USB cable. Could only get these from the far east. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UTBUhf4Wec for instructions as to the set-up
A previous posted asked about HDMI audio. It worked fine through the my LapDock

Return to “General discussion”