Rive

Re: RPi 3 SoC at nearly 100 °C, reporting 80 °C

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:28 pm

loadbang wrote:For all those running stress tests and measuring CPU speed, make sure you are running to get your speed:

# vcgencmd measure_clock arm | sed -e "s/frequency(45)=//g"

rather than;

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

First one shows the actual CPU frequency, the other is what the governor sets.
These are better:

Code: Select all

while true; do vcgencmd measure_temp && vcgencmd measure_clock arm; sleep 10; done

Code: Select all

watch '(vcgencmd measure_temp; vcgencmd measure_clock arm)'
DNPNWO

loadbang

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Cheers Rive.

I have also forked RPi Monitor with a slight modification. Main page shows actual CPU frequency as well. https://github.com/simonhowes/RPi-Monitor

Change: https://github.com/simonhowes/RPi-Monit ... e/cpu.conf

Here is my 3 live: http://simonhowes.suroot.com:8888/

Rive

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:32 pm

loadbang wrote:Cheers Rive.

I have also forked RPi Monitor with a slight modification. Main page shows actual CPU frequency as well. https://github.com/simonhowes/RPi-Monitor

Change: https://github.com/simonhowes/RPi-Monit ... e/cpu.conf

Here is my 3 live: http://simonhowes.suroot.com:8888/
I use the built in monitors to keep an eye on everything during normal usage.

thermals...cpu freq...cpu usage

right click to enlarge (open image), see taskbar bottom right hand corner near clock:
DNPNWO

loadbang

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:00 pm

I run everything headless. :)

Rive

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:59 pm

loadbang wrote:https://simonhowes.files.wordpress.com/ ... g_1409.jpg

A 17mm fan in Maplins in the UK.

Better?
DNPNWO

loadbang

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:27 pm

I'm thinking one that will fit in a case.

Rive

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:49 pm

loadbang wrote:I'm thinking one that will fit in a case.
On a case works for me too. That fan shown above can easily be fit into the "white' top" part of the official pi3 case (after you use a hole saw on it anyways). I was tempted to do just that that, (but decided on a velcro'd 70mm x10mm fan on top instead). And we already know that black aluminum heatsink fits the SoC quite nicely. 8-)

These are my "spare' parts, that I will probably never do anything with, and they will just sit in a drawer until I decide to play with them. The more I think about it, the more i think I may try the hole saw idea, and fit that fan into the top of the official case.
DNPNWO

JohnSmith41

Fri May 06, 2016 5:05 am

I'm probably doing something really wrong, but my Pi 3 is running the PiRate Box distro, and every so often while it is sitting on my desk, I will notice the WiFi network is gone, and when I go to check the Pi, it is burning to the touch. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to solve the problem, but it has two heatsinks on it, so it shouldn't be getting that hot, right? Am I doing something wrong here?
My former home is at http://www.smwcentral.net/ and that is where you can PM me if you need to

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri May 06, 2016 4:15 pm

JohnSmith41 wrote:I'm probably doing something really wrong, but my Pi 3 is running the PiRate Box distro, and every so often while it is sitting on my desk, I will notice the WiFi network is gone, and when I go to check the Pi, it is burning to the touch. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to solve the problem, but it has two heatsinks on it, so it shouldn't be getting that hot, right? Am I doing something wrong here?
Touch isn't a good way to check the temperature. What does vcgencmd measure_temp report?

JohnSmith41

Fri May 06, 2016 7:54 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
JohnSmith41 wrote:I'm probably doing something really wrong, but my Pi 3 is running the PiRate Box distro, and every so often while it is sitting on my desk, I will notice the WiFi network is gone, and when I go to check the Pi, it is burning to the touch. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to solve the problem, but it has two heatsinks on it, so it shouldn't be getting that hot, right? Am I doing something wrong here?
Touch isn't a good way to check the temperature. What does vcgencmd measure_temp report?
The problem is, I have no way to check what vcgencmd measure_temp says, as the Pi 3 shuts off at this point. When it happens again, I will restart the Pi and run the command as quick as I can
My former home is at http://www.smwcentral.net/ and that is where you can PM me if you need to

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 06, 2016 10:11 pm

JohnSmith41 wrote:The problem is, I have no way to check what vcgencmd measure_temp says, as the Pi 3 shuts off at this point. When it happens again, I will restart the Pi and run the command as quick as I can
Just have a background task append the current temperature to a text file every 15 seconds. About 100 bytes per minute, 6k per hour,150k per day; plenty of room to grow for years. And when it goes wrong you'll have a record of how the temperature was behaving up until it crashed.

JohnSmith41

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:50 am

rurwin wrote:
JohnSmith41 wrote:The problem is, I have no way to check what vcgencmd measure_temp says, as the Pi 3 shuts off at this point. When it happens again, I will restart the Pi and run the command as quick as I can
Just have a background task append the current temperature to a text file every 15 seconds. About 100 bytes per minute, 6k per hour,150k per day; plenty of room to grow for years. And when it goes wrong you'll have a record of how the temperature was behaving up until it crashed.
I don't mean to dig up a thread, but my Pi 3 is resting at 83.8C, with a heatsink, while under heavy load. My Pi 2 is resting at 67.0C with a heatsink, while under heavy load, and it is running FASTER than the Pi 3. Is my Pi 3 defective?

gkreidl

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 am

JohnSmith41 wrote: I don't mean to dig up a thread, but my Pi 3 is resting at 83.8C, with a heatsink, while under heavy load. My Pi 2 is resting at 67.0C with a heatsink, while under heavy load, and it is running FASTER than the Pi 3. Is my Pi 3 defective?
No, it's throttling down (check the CPU frequency).
A heat sink without a good airflow is rather useless, especially in these almost completely closed cheap plastic boxes.
Take the lid off or get a Flirc case or a case with open sides or add a fan.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

JohnSmith41

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:50 am

I have both my Pi 2 and 3 sitting out without a case (I am aware of the dangers of that, including shorting and static) behind my TV. I will be putting a fan on my Pi 3. Also, thanks for letting me know about the throttling, I almost forgot that it did that!

Slackware

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Maybe the excess heat is from the 32bits just sitting there. Once it goes 64bit they will flow instead of sitting there getting hot.

Slackware

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:12 pm

loadbang wrote:I run everything headless. :)
sounds like the perfect setup for a HEADS UP display then.

Cavecraft

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:01 am

allfox wrote:Agreed~ But maybe with Pi 3, everyone would need a colding solution.It would be ready to boil coffee in 5 min. Edited: This joke is bad, as it makes people think something would go wrong at 100 C. I did think so, however follow threads from moderators explained that there is nothing hazard. It's hot, but that's all of it.

I don't like colding fans, they are noisy.
They don't have true, the SoC contains silicum and that melts/breaks at around 85 degrees Celcius!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:23 pm

Cavecraft wrote:
allfox wrote:Agreed~ But maybe with Pi 3, everyone would need a colding solution.It would be ready to boil coffee in 5 min. Edited: This joke is bad, as it makes people think something would go wrong at 100 C. I did think so, however follow threads from moderators explained that there is nothing hazard. It's hot, but that's all of it.

They don't have true, the SoC contains silicum and that melts/breaks at around 85 degrees Celcius!
bullpoop! the melting point of silicon is actually 1414 °C :lol:
as for "going wrong", I assume you mean the FET's in the SoC stop working at the speed needed, 85 °C is far from the temperature that would happen too, the SoC was tested in an oven at far higher temperatures than that.

ejolson

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:43 pm

mahjongg wrote:as for "going wrong", I assume you mean the FET's in the SoC stop working at the speed needed
Given the $35 price, the most significant thing that could go wrong is starting a fire and burning down the house. Maybe don't place a Pi 3 on the table under a bunch of newspapers and everything will be fine.

Cavecraft

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:43 am

mahjongg wrote:
Cavecraft wrote:

bullshit! the melting point of silicon is actually 1414 °C :lol:
as for "going wrong", I assume you mean the FET's in the SoC stop working at the speed needed, 85 °C is far from the temperature that would happen too, the SoC was tested in an oven at far higher temperatures than that.
Lol the temperature will decrease in less then 1 minute when you put a cup of coffee on it.

dom

Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:31 am

ejolson wrote:Given the $35 price, the most significant thing that could go wrong is starting a fire and burning down the house. Maybe don't place a Pi 3 on the table under a bunch of newspapers and everything will be fine.
The auto ignition point of paper is somewhere near 451'F (233'C), so you are not going to ignite newspaper from a Pi.

dpotop

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Small contribution to this thread: I also noticed a discrepancy between actual and measured temperature, but only after installing a heat sink on the SoC. Here's how it worked:
- At first, I used my RPi3 without a heat sink. During heavy loads (e.g. compilation) temperature went to 80C and then stabilized with +/-1 degree variations (the expected behavior). When temperature increased, frequency would go down, and the reverse.
- Once I installed the heat sink (aluminium, taken from the chipset of an old PC motherboard) the temperature stabilized around 70 degrees, and there was some throttling.

So I'm guessing that there are 2 temperature sensors:
- One is used by the CPU to detect overheating and to throttle. I would be curious to know the cut-off temperature.
- The second is somewhere else in the SoC casing, and it can be read in software.
When adding a heat sink, the temperature gradient changes.

Let me know if you have more info on this.

Best,
Dumitru
dpotop

ejolson

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:12 pm

dpotop wrote:Small contribution to this thread: I also noticed a discrepancy between actual and measured temperature, but only after installing a heat sink on the SoC. Here's how it worked:
- At first, I used my RPi3 without a heat sink. During heavy loads (e.g. compilation) temperature went to 80C and then stabilized with +/-1 degree variations (the expected behavior). When temperature increased, frequency would go down, and the reverse.
- Once I installed the heat sink (aluminium, taken from the chipset of an old PC motherboard) the temperature stabilized around 70 degrees, and there was some throttling.

So I'm guessing that there are 2 temperature sensors:
- One is used by the CPU to detect overheating and to throttle. I would be curious to know the cut-off temperature.
- The second is somewhere else in the SoC casing, and it can be read in software.
When adding a heat sink, the temperature gradient changes.

Let me know if you have more info on this.

Best,
Dumitru
Are you measuring temperature with an external sensor or probe of some sort?

DavidS

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:31 pm

This seems to negate one of the major advantages of using an ARM. That is the fact that the ARM always runs cool.

If it is really getting over 50 degrees C, then it should be rated to run at what ever clock it keeps down under 50 degrees C with a 100% load for an extended time on all 4 ARM cores.

running an RPi 2B at 1100MHz (1.1GHz) for a long time, and often doing things that push all of the ARM cores at 100% for hours at a time, I have never had the tempurature exceed 49 degrees C.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”