Burngate

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:18 am

On the B rev 2.0 and 2.1, the extra header P5 had GPIOs 28 - 31, set as Alt-2 for I2S (PCM-CLK, PCM-FS, PCM-DIN, PCM-DOUT)

B+ and 2B no longer had those brought out, using them instead for camera / display I2C and the 9514 rst.

However, the I2S signals can be found on GPIOs 18 - 21 when they're set to Alt-0, on header pins 12, 35, 38 & 40

Martin Frezman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 am

fourdee4d wrote: Finally got this working.
Disable any driver entries: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

Code: Select all

interface=wlan0
#driver=rtl871xdrv
ssid=DietPi-HotSpot
hw_mode=g
channel=3
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=dietpihotspot
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
Hi! I was able to get this working, using your hostapd.conf file verbatim, on a Pi Zero W. It works; I am able to connect to it from my Mac and ssh in. According to "ifconfig" on the Zero, the IP address of wlan0 is 169.254.164.66; so I was able to ssh in as: ssh [email protected]

This begs two questions:

1) Is it possible to set the IP addr to something more sensible via the .conf file?

2) Is the conf file documented anywhere? Usually, you can do something like "man hostapd.conf", but that is a no-go. I looked at all the files installed via "apt-get install hostapd" and didn't see any real docu of the conf file options.

----------
Note: I do not need to give the Zero Internet access; I just need to be able to ssh into it locally.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

Martin Frezman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:30 am

Note: It may seem like I accidentally posted the previous response to the wrong thread - since it doesn't seem to belong here - but this is, in fact, the thread where I found the info on setting up an AP. So, this is where I posted it...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:27 am

Martin Frezman wrote:Note: It may seem like I accidentally posted the previous response to the wrong thread - since it doesn't seem to belong here - but this is, in fact, the thread where I found the info on setting up an AP. So, this is where I posted it...
Start a new thread with the question in - more likely to get results (although that IP address is the one allocated when no DHCP server was found IIRC)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Martin Frezman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Start a new thread with the question in - more likely to get results
Yeah, that was my plan anyway. It seemed likely that posting here might not get the attention of Mr. 4D.
(although that IP address is the one allocated when no DHCP server was found IIRC)
Yeah, it is the so-called "link-level" address.

But what is weird is that even when I switch back to "On the network" mode (from "local AP" mode), the IP address (according to "ifconfig") stays at the 169... address (even though the rest of the world can still access it via it's normal 192... address). Odd.

P.S. It sure would be a good thing if we could edit thread titles here. But I suppose starting a new thread is a workaround to that.

The recent thread that started out being about "snarky responses" and then morphed into old timers being old timers, really could have used a thread title change.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm

ifconfig makes the unwarranted assumption that an interface can only have one ipv4 address.

Use "ip addr list" to see what is really going on.

Martin Frezman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm

plugwash wrote:ifconfig makes the unwarranted assumption that an interface can only have one ipv4 address.

Use "ip addr list" to see what is really going on.
Thank you, thank you! A genuinely useful answer! Well done, sir.

As an aside, back in the old days, when we wanted to have more than one IP address on an interface, we used things like "eth0:0". I'm assuming, therefore, that the "unwarranted assumption" was, back then, warranted. I'm assuming that now that you can have multiple IP addresses on an interface, that you don't need to use "eth0:0" anymore. Is that correct?

ab1jx

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Old thread, I know. Go through the official sellers that you can find at https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/, they charge the official (lowest) price. I think I've seen the Pi 3b being resold for as much as $50 when the official price is $35. There are a lot of resellers making profits off unsuspecting customers. The original intention was to provide affordable computers, not for profit. Wonderful little machines.

Return to “General discussion”