GTR2Fan

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Havinit wrote:I mean, don't the Foundation think that maybe a better approach in future would to let the public know that *something* new is incoming, without giving away exactly what it's going to consist of?
I don't think that helps. As soon as the merest sniff of anything leaks out, the forums are awash with people spouting utter cobblers about what it may or may not be. That sets the rumour mill going and it instantly leaks out across the rest of the Interwebs infesting the entire planet with complete nonsense that bears no relationship to reality. I'd rather hear nothing than a million wildly inaccurate rumours.
Last edited by GTR2Fan on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Havinit wrote:I mean, don't the Foundation think that maybe a better approach in future would to let the public know that *something* new is incoming, without giving away exactly what it's going to consist of? (There, a question finally lol.) Imagine how much fun you could have teasing all us slavering fanboysngirls...
OK but did not EU state there will be a CM and 3A this year (2016) in the audio blog, or did you miss that:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=137958
Retired disgracefully.....

Dexter88

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Is there finally hd-audio pass through possible?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 pm

Dexter88 wrote:Is there finally hd-audio pass through possible?
Afraid VideoCore is unchanged, so behaviour remains the same.

Havinit

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:44 pm

fsck wrote:
Havinit wrote:
gregeric wrote:I see from the pin-mapping that PCM audio is wired up to the BT part of the 43438, so that means audio out to BT headsets is possible :)
This is my primary interest in the Bluetooth capability. Software support will be the clincher though: I used to be able to use a USB BT dongle on my laptop to play music to my headphones, but that capability got farmed out to PulseAudio as of the BlueZ 5 stack and didn't work for me since (no longer possible to create a simple ALSA device to play to). HSP/HFP don't work any more either. I'd love to see usable Bluetooth support for audio transmission and 2-way telephony applications return, but it's a hot mess last I looked.
Can't one simply encode/decode the audio in the software A2DP implementation? That's what you normally do if you want to f.ex. connect a BT headset using a USB BT dongle. Why is the PCM line even necessary?
I'm not too sure about that part myself and would like to know more about it. IIRC the bluetooth-alsa software provided a kernel module snd-btusb which provided the ALSA device. (But it's been quite a while now so take with a grain of salt.)

If by the "software A2DP implementation" you mean PulseAudio, I never made it work; hateful bit of software in my experience. Maybe it's better now but I've all but blocked out all memory of it for the sake of my continuing mental well-being. Perhaps once the Pi Community are all over these Pi3s, some user-friendly tuition in this dark art will emerge....!

GTR2Fan

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:48 pm

I'm confused. Is the RAM really running at 900MHz, or is it meant to say DDR2-900, ie, 450MHz?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... enchmarks/
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

dom

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:I'm confused. Is the RAM really running at 900MHz, or is it meant to say DDR2-900, ie, 450MHz?
Same as Pi2.
A 450MHz clock with double data rate (data transferred on both edges of clock).

MarkZ

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:52 pm

The only change I care about is I2s audio support. Prior pi's can't do multichannel because there's no TDM support. Does the pi3?

Thank you.

Mark

GTR2Fan

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm

dom wrote:Same as Pi2. A 450MHz clock with double data rate (data transferred on both edges of clock).
Thank you. It just looks a little odd to see the Pi2 specced at 450MHz and the Pi3 specced at 900MHz. :D

Tyrael_Archangel

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:58 pm

jdb wrote:
ric96 wrote: ... So it doesn't share the usb bus with the 4 ports and Ethernet?
Also i am guessing the uart pins on the gpio header are untouched and can be used normally.
WiFi / BT are both connected via bank 1 GPIOs. The UART on the GPIO header is now the mini-uart - a slight downside is that variations in core frequency change your baudrate. Forcing a fixed core clock works around this issue.
Is the GPIO UART accessed in the same way? (using ttyAMA0?) and how do you force a fixed core clock?

fsck

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:19 pm

Havinit wrote:
fsck wrote:
Havinit wrote:Can't one simply encode/decode the audio in the software A2DP implementation? That's what you normally do if you want to f.ex. connect a BT headset using a USB BT dongle. Why is the PCM line even necessary?
I'm not too sure about that part myself and would like to know more about it. IIRC the bluetooth-alsa software provided a kernel module snd-btusb which provided the ALSA device. (But it's been quite a while now so take with a grain of salt.)

If by the "software A2DP implementation" you mean PulseAudio, I never made it work; hateful bit of software in my experience. Maybe it's better now but I've all but blocked out all memory of it for the sake of my continuing mental well-being. Perhaps once the Pi Community are all over these Pi3s, some user-friendly tuition in this dark art will emerge....!
Let me clarify my question with an example. Say you have a Windows box with an USB BT dongle. You pair it with a BT headset. You start playing some music. The Windows BT stack encodes the audio stream in real time with SBC encoding (or something better, if supported) as mandated by the A2DP profile and sends it over the USB bus, as part of the serial stream, to the BT radio which then transmits it. There are no secondary data lines that are dedicated to transmitting PCM audio involved. Why do they exist in this case? Shouldn't all data to and from the BT transceiver go over UART?

bennettp123

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:31 pm

TheEgo wrote:Does anyone know if there is a graphics upgrade and support for HEVEC x265 playback as this article suggests there is?

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... l-just-35/
The VideoCore IV chip is identical, so no hardware HEVC/x265.

However, there has been a fair amount of work on GPU decoding, and with the faster CPU/GPU/NEON, the RPi3 should be able to decode h265 at 720p, with the hope of improving it to 1080p in future.

Source: http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast- ... ben-upton/

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:46 am

VitaliyKharechko wrote:Will the Raspberry PI 7 [inch screen] work on PI 3? I recently bought one, And i'm wondering if can I upgrade my PI to 3, but i've no idea if will it work with that screen
The 7" screen should be 100% compatible with a RPi3. If my RPi3 arrives tomorrow I'll be able to confirm that (as my 2B will go back to being headless).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:51 am

Havinit wrote: I have to agree that this approach is always going to cause problems to some extent. (I speak as one who bought a B+ a week before the Pi2 was unveiled!) On the one hand it's good marketing because people like (nice) surprises, but I'd hate to be a bulk-purchaser who'd just bought a truckload of Pi2s right now.
It's the way it works in the rest of the software and hardware industry. It's better to announce late than to announce something that isn't ready on the general availability date.
Havinit wrote: I mean, don't the Foundation think that maybe a better approach in future would to let the public know that *something* new is incoming, without giving away exactly what it's going to consist of? (There, a question finally lol.) Imagine how much fun you could have teasing all us slavering fanboysngirls...
Look at the complete foul up with the RPF 7" touch screen which was announced nearly two years before it was available. That made a massive dent in the Raspberry Pi Foundation's reputation and frankly made them look like a bunch of amateurs.

They can't win either way, but announcing closer to availability has better results for most folks. Their only problem now is stopping The Register doing their annoucements for them (a couple of days before the official announcement).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

solar3000

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:23 am

Why can't we get a microphone input or an on board mic?
Antikythera

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:25 am

solar3000 wrote:Why can't we get a microphone input or an on board mic?
Because I don't need that (and don't want to pay for hardware I don't need and won't use) and it's easy to get audio in running with a USB adapter.

ric96

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:30 am

solar3000 wrote:Why can't we get a microphone input or an on board mic?
Routing traces for an additional component can cost lot more than it's worth and if that wasn't the case, a simple pin could have been provided for FM(hardware already on the wifi chip) but wasn't.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Kratos

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:43 am

I have some questions about the Raspberry Pi 3:

1. How would I use the boot from a USB drive option? And, would this require an SD card to be plugged into the Pi?
2. Is it possible to receive FM radio with the new WiFi/Bluetooth chip? Never mind, I figured that out
3. Does the 64-bit processor need programs to be recompiled to use the full capabilities?
4. How fast is the on board WiFi?
5. How fast is web browsing?
6. How is YouTube performance?

Thanks for the help.
Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

fsr

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:53 am

when someone gets hold of one could you post the revision?

Code: Select all

grep Revision /proc/cpuinfo
thanks!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:07 am

DougieLawson wrote:
VitaliyKharechko wrote:Will the Raspberry PI 7 [inch screen] work on PI 3? I recently bought one, And i'm wondering if can I upgrade my PI to 3, but i've no idea if will it work with that screen
The 7" screen should be 100% compatible with a RPi3. If my RPi3 arrives tomorrow I'll be able to confirm that (as my 2B will go back to being headless).
it is. been using the official 7" display with a Pi3 for a couple of weeks and as expected it works fine

gregeric

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:32 am

Kratos wrote:I have some questions about the Raspberry Pi 3:

1. How would I use the boot from a USB drive option? And, would this require an SD card to be plugged into the Pi?
2. Is it possible to receive FM radio with the new WiFi/Bluetooth chip? Never mind, I figured that out
3. Does the 64-bit processor need programs to be recompiled to use the full capabilities?
4. How fast is the on board WiFi?
5. How fast is web browsing?
6. How is YouTube performance?

Thanks for the help.
Kratos
1. AFAICT, the same as it does now, boot from SD, root on USB drive. The USB Mass Storage thing now provided just makes life simpler for imaging the CM3 (& similarly for the A3 I suppose), no need to squirt usbbootcode.bin to it to get into this mode.
3. Yes
4. ~40Mbps quoted from several sources.
5 & 6. unrestricted by onboard WiFi, & noticably snappier due to CPU according to Eben's interview. People will report as Pi 3Bs land in their hands I suppose...

Greg Erskine

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:34 am

fsr wrote:when someone gets hold of one could you post the revision?

grep Revision /proc/cpuinfo
thanks!

[email protected]:/boot $ grep Revision /proc/cpuinfo
Revision        : a22082
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

fsr

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:12 am

Greg Erskine wrote:

Revision        : a22082
Thank-you

RZX

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:13 am

Hi guys,

My question is simple i would like to know if the PI3 can play 60 fps 720p videos on YouTube ?

Thx for the answer!

mosespi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:36 am

Anyone have actual power usage stats? With WIFI and without? I would assume about the same power as a Pi 2 with a similar powered wifi module. Possibly slightly more on account of the increase in clock speed.

Reading the wording on the release:
"This time round, we’re recommending a 2.5A adapter if you want to connect power-hungry USB devices to the Raspberry Pi."

Sounds like the the 2.5A supply is recommended more heavily on what is hanging off the USB then anything else. Maybe make the pages a bit more clear on this? I encounter a fair bit of people that think they need a hefty power supply for an older release Pi with just a small load.. small wifi and keyboard for example.

Maybe raspi.tv will update their page soon. I find it pretty accurate. As found here: http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi2-powe ... easurement

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

Return to “General discussion”