Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:40 pm

fourdee4d wrote:
jdb wrote:You should all know the drill by now:

Read the blog post announcement here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... 3-on-sale/

Blog comments are likely to have a few of the answers you seek already:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... /#comments

Post otherwise in this thread.
I asked the following question by creating a post on: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale
Does the RPIv3 ETH/WLAN still pass through the USB2 bus on the ARM?
My post got deleted. Yet someone else says "The Odroid C2 is better" and theirs gets allowed. Great moderation.

So here goes, a simple question:
Does the RPIv3 ETH (and the new built in WLAN) still pass through the USB2 bus on the ARM?

Thank you.
I guess it's because you don't bother to read because not only was that question addressed in the blog post comments section you linked, but also earlier in this very thread. (Answer: yes, and that's the only way to do it.)
Last edited by fsck on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R37R0

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Nice to see the addition of wifi and the move to 64 bit...

Any chance of fixing the codec licensing issue in pi4?

lb

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:51 pm

I guess the Pi 3 should be able to decode 1080p30 MPEG-2 or VC-1 in software, so codec licenses aren't really needed anymore?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:14 pm

lb wrote:I guess the Pi 3 should be able to decode 1080p30 MPEG-2 or VC-1 in software, so codec licenses aren't really needed anymore?
1080p MPEG-2 can be decoded in software. Currently you don't get the high quality deinterlace without hardware decode, but that should be solvable.
Unfortunately the VC-1 deocder in ffmpeg is single core only, so that can't be software decoded. (I'm sure it could in theory, but would need someone to make VC-1 decoder multithreaded).

Fran008

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Hello everyone.

I have a Raspbian SD card with lots of programs installed in my Pi 2. I would like to keep this installation. I know you normally recommend to update and upgrade but if I don't do that, will this SD be directly compatible with Pi 3 boot system? Thank you very much.

TheEgo

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 pm

lb wrote:I guess the Pi 3 should be able to decode 1080p30 MPEG-2 or VC-1 in software, so codec licenses aren't really needed anymore?
I never fully understood the Codecs if I'm honest. I've never purchased one, but I've never been unable to play any file (with the exception to the newer x265, but this is unrelated) why is this? is it the lack of this file type? I'd happily buy them if needed, but like I said it all plays. Would it play better on other Pi's with the codecs?

TheEgo

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:18 pm

dom wrote:
1080p MPEG-2 can be decoded in software. Currently you don't get the high quality deinterlace without hardware decode, but that should be solvable.
Unfortunately the VC-1 deocder in ffmpeg is single core only, so that can't be software decoded. (I'm sure it could in theory, but would need someone to make VC-1 decoder multithreaded).
You just nipped in ahead of my last post. So in theory would I see better playback on my current Pi2 and newly purchased Pi3 if I payed the few quid for the 2 codecs in question?

mikronauts

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:20 pm

MUCH appreciated.
jdb wrote:
0xFF wrote:Is it possible to hack with soldering iron to use external Wifi antena?
Yes. There is an option component and a footprint for a u.FL connector on the underside of the board.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

findx

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Does the new WiFi and Bluetooth capability use the GPIO bank 0 IRQ line? Or is it only using alternate pin IRQ functionality? I'm curious because it affects multiplexing of multiple devices on the GPIO bank 0 IRQ.

fourdee4d

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:27 pm

fsck wrote: I guess it's because you don't bother to read because not only was that question addressed in the blog post comments section you linked, but also earlier in this very thread. (Answer: yes, and that's the only way to do it.)
Wish I could spend all day trolling through forum posts and 300+ blog posts a day. But its ok, that appears to be your job :lol:
fourdee4d wrote:So here goes, a simple question:
Does the RPIv3 ETH (and the new built in WLAN) still pass through the USB2 bus on the ARM?
fsck wrote:yes
Gutted.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 pm

tpfkanep wrote:Has the RCA audio been improved for low volume usage (hiss was ever present) ...? The only fix (that worked for me) was on Pi2 to have the volume at max on the output hardware.
There's actually a software fix that makes the audio a LOT better - there is a thread on here asking for beta testers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:34 pm

fourdee4d wrote:
fsck wrote: I guess it's because you don't bother to read because not only was that question addressed in the blog post comments section you linked, but also earlier in this very thread. (Answer: yes, and that's the only way to do it.)
Wish I could spend all day trolling through forum posts and 300+ blog posts a day. But its ok, that appears to be your job :lol:
fourdee4d wrote:So here goes, a simple question:
fsck wrote:yes
Gutted.
I was getting 600KBytes/s on our network at work with a Pi3, cloning from github. Not too bad. Not tried it completely internally. I would expect speeds similar to Pi2. Will try wireles tomorrow as that goes over SDIO, so will be different.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Paul Webster

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 pm

jdb wrote:
0xFF wrote:Is PXE boot confirmed ?
TFTP, and yes. Plus USB mass-storage.
Looking forward to someone verifying this SD cardless operation.

fourdee4d

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:42 pm

jamesh wrote:I was getting 600KBytes/s on our network at work with a Pi3, cloning from github. Not too bad. Not tried it completely internally. I would expect speeds similar to Pi2. Will try wireles tomorrow as that goes over SDIO, so will be different.
Intresting. I know the RPiv1 and v2 can both reach 9-11mb/s over eth with proftpd server on the RPi. Should have my RPiv3 tomorrow, will run some tests also.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:47 pm

There has been mention of "WoL" support has that been enabled on the LAN9514 ??

Almost mentioned in a couple of blogs was USB Boot ??

So any further information readily available ????
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:49 pm

fourdee4d wrote:
jamesh wrote:I was getting 600KBytes/s on our network at work with a Pi3, cloning from github. Not too bad. Not tried it completely internally. I would expect speeds similar to Pi2. Will try wireles tomorrow as that goes over SDIO, so will be different.
Intresting. I know the RPiv1 and v2 can both reach 9-11mb/s over eth with proftpd server on the RPi. Should have my RPiv3 tomorrow, will run some tests also.
I suspect I was bandwidth limited on the ADSL connection at work. Will try on an internal network as well.

VitaliyKharechko

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Will the Raspberry PI 7 work on PI 3? I recently bought one, And i'm wondering if can I upgrade my PI to 3, but i've no idea if will it work with that screen

gregeric

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Any wireless speed tests you make will reflect the performance of the bcm43438, not the sdio.

At the (Pi) standard overclock_50 setting of 41.7MHz, 4-bit SDIO is ~160Mbps. With overclock_50 at 62.5MHz it's nudging 250Mbps. The SDIO could be run in 1-bit mode & still keep up with the ~40Mbps reported WiFi speed.

saper_2

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:02 pm

mikronauts wrote:MUCH appreciated.
jdb wrote:
0xFF wrote:Is it possible to hack with soldering iron to use external Wifi antena?
Yes. There is an option component and a footprint for a u.FL connector on the underside of the board.
1. I would be happy to have one soldered already. Because when I solder one myself and in worst case I had to return my Pi seller say "modified - warranty void"...

2. Where I can find retail PCB hi-res photos (PI3 ofc :) )?

3. When there will be a GPIO description - I know it should be that same but there are changes in signals because of wif+bt chip. So I would like to see it on some ascii-art graphic :) or in some image/table because I really bad at "deciphering" ;) dtb files..

Wish: I would really be happy to see a sata interface - why: no problems with sata-usb bridges, no need to replace sd card every 6 months (I have db server running and new record is added every 5min - last card survived about 6 months (first one worked for 8month)) - I lost with first card 8months of data, after this I learned (the hard way) to backup data from DB to my NAS every week...

It is possible to get some space by changing hdmi to mini-hdmi (cables are cheap - I paid about 5USD for 1m mini to full sized hdmi...) or just get rid of this audio+composite and put there 4 golpins (not soldered ]:-> ) - so we got space for FM :] and/or SATA (^u^)

gregeric

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 pm

1. I've not had a Pi die on me yet, apart from the one I killed.
2. Click on the picture in the blog post for a decent picture of the top side. Clearly seen for example is the date code on the 2837: 2015 Week 50.
3. The dts is on github: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... pi-3-b.dts - no changes on the 40pin header to worry about.

The arm peripherals appear to be unchanged so no way to add SATA save by USB bridge.

Dutch_Master

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Fran008 wrote:Hello everyone.

I have a Raspbian SD card with lots of programs installed in my Pi 2. I would like to keep this installation. I know you normally recommend to update and upgrade but if I don't do that, will this SD be directly compatible with Pi 3 boot system? Thank you very much.
Yes, Eben said the RPi3 is 100% backwards compatible with the Model 2 you have. Do mind you need a better power brick (2Amps is no longer sufficient, get a 2.5 Amps one)

Havinit

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:37 pm

gregeric wrote:I see from the pin-mapping that PCM audio is wired up to the BT part of the 43438, so that means audio out to BT headsets is possible :)
This is my primary interest in the Bluetooth capability. Software support will be the clincher though: I used to be able to use a USB BT dongle on my laptop to play music to my headphones, but that capability got farmed out to PulseAudio as of the BlueZ 5 stack and didn't work for me since (no longer possible to create a simple ALSA device to play to). HSP/HFP don't work any more either. I'd love to see usable Bluetooth support for audio transmission and 2-way telephony applications return, but it's a hot mess last I looked.

fsck

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Havinit wrote:
gregeric wrote:I see from the pin-mapping that PCM audio is wired up to the BT part of the 43438, so that means audio out to BT headsets is possible :)
This is my primary interest in the Bluetooth capability. Software support will be the clincher though: I used to be able to use a USB BT dongle on my laptop to play music to my headphones, but that capability got farmed out to PulseAudio as of the BlueZ 5 stack and didn't work for me since (no longer possible to create a simple ALSA device to play to). HSP/HFP don't work any more either. I'd love to see usable Bluetooth support for audio transmission and 2-way telephony applications return, but it's a hot mess last I looked.
Can't one simply encode/decode the audio in the software A2DP implementation? That's what you normally do if you want to f.ex. connect a BT headset using a USB BT dongle. Why is the PCM line even necessary?

saper_2

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:55 pm

gregeric wrote:1. I've not had a Pi die on me yet, apart from the one I killed.
2. Click on the picture in the blog post for a decent picture of the top side. Clearly seen for example is the date code on the 2837: 2015 Week 50.
The arm peripherals appear to be unchanged so no way to add SATA save by USB bridge.
1. All my Pi are fine too (so far - I have few B and 2, now waiting for for 0), I'm just careful :)
2. Top side is normal/classic/very similar to Pi2 so I'm more interested in bottom side

I know wishing for sata is pipe dream but there is always a tiny hope :) ...

Havinit

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:56 pm

timboler wrote:Regarding the RasPi3

Why were we kept in the dark regarding the new model release?

Why did the management allow misleading information regarding the development to remain on the FAQ?

7. WHEN WILL THE NEXT MODEL OF THE RASPBERRY PI BE RELEASED?

As of February 2015, the second generation of the Raspberry Pi has been released, initially in a Model B version. Beyond this revision, which upgraded the main processor on the board to a quad core and doubled the RAM while maintaining full backwards compatibility with the original Raspberry Pi, there are no immediate plans to release any more new models. A further new model may be released in 2-3 years, but this is not a firm schedule. We concentrate our engineering effort on making the software that runs on the Raspberry Pi faster and better all the time, which is why you should always ensure that you are running the most recent firmware. -General -Top
I have to agree that this approach is always going to cause problems to some extent. (I speak as one who bought a B+ a week before the Pi2 was unveiled!) On the one hand it's good marketing because people like (nice) surprises, but I'd hate to be a bulk-purchaser who'd just bought a truckload of Pi2s right now.

Also there was a growing backlash over the scarcity of the Zero in recent months; a small constituency perhaps, but if those folks had known that the production line was otherwise engaged, there would have been a lot less vitriol flying around the blogosphere these last couple of months.

I mean, don't the Foundation think that maybe a better approach in future would to let the public know that *something* new is incoming, without giving away exactly what it's going to consist of? (There, a question finally lol.) Imagine how much fun you could have teasing all us slavering fanboysngirls...

Return to “General discussion”