dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:55 pm

jamesh wrote:I believe it possible with device tree to rearrange the uart allocation - there is a thread on the Pi github about this.
See: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... ays/README

Code: Select all

Name:   pi3-disable-bt
Info:   Disable Pi3 Bluetooth and restore UART0/ttyAMA0 over GPIOs 14 & 15
        N.B. To disable the systemd service that initialises the modem so it
        doesn't use the UART, use 'sudo systemctl disable hciuart'.
Load:   dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
Params: <None>
You can also add core_freq=250 to config.txt which will stop the uart baud rate changing (with a very small reduction in performance).

rotwang

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Looks as though pi3-miniuart-bt is the one I need, since that sets things up the way they used to be. Why wasn't this the default behaviour in the first place? Also do I need to force the clock as well as setting this overlay, or is that taken care of?
Finally, could this information be presented in a Howto, since I (and I suspect many others) don't go trawling through github as a matter of routine.
While I'm about it, could someone also think about posting a COMPLETE list of config.txt parameters, broken down by firmware version, and keeping it up to date, since I don't think random mentions in replies to post are a good way to document things.

The support structure for the whole family of pi's is far better than any of the other wannabe boards, but it's getting a bit out of step, and relying on random blog entries, which are notorious for a) getting it wrong, and b) not getting updated, is a recipe for wasted hours of debugging time.
Roger

dom

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm

rotwang wrote:While I'm about it, could someone also think about posting a COMPLETE list of config.txt parameters, broken down by firmware version, and keeping it up to date, since I don't think random mentions in replies to post are a good way to document things.
There is pretty good list here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md

And for device tree specific settings:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ce-tree.md

It doesn't necessarily make sense to document every config.txt setting.
Many are debug settings and would only make sense to be tried when I suggest it when troubleshooting a specific problem.

Some have been added and have never been used. For example a change is made to how the edid is interpreted.
The new scheme means we handle the HDMI specs better, but there is always a danger of regression.
So I add a config.txt setting to allow the change to be reverted, under my guidance if there is a reported bug.
But, it turns out no regressions emerge. The config.txt setting will eventually be dropped.

There are some settings that will almost certainly make the Pi work less well for almost everyone.
A danger of documenting these is users may try it, not spot the problem it causes immediately and forget about it. Weeks later they complain that something doesn't work.
It also means finding the genuinely useful settings gets more difficult (needle in a haystack).

Superkikim

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:37 pm

I need help troubleshooting RPI3 with HiFiBerry. My setup is a headless RPI3 with WiFi preconfigured. As soon as I add the dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus in the config.txt file, the Wifi is not able to associate with the access point. Without that overlay, it works fine.

Syslog is just showing that the wifi cannot assiociate with the access point, nothing else.

Tried with two RPI3, and in two different locations and access points / wireless networks. Same result.

I have been able to connect the RPI3 to a monitor today to see what is happening, and it boots up correctly. Just the wifi stays disconnected.

Now, I have taken a network cable so I will be able to connect with LAN.

Can any one tell me how I can help troubleshooting this bug for dev to fix it ?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Superkikim wrote:I need help troubleshooting RPI3 with HiFiBerry. My setup is a headless RPI3 with WiFi preconfigured. As soon as I add the dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus in the config.txt file, the Wifi is not able to associate with the access point. Without that overlay, it works fine.

Syslog is just showing that the wifi cannot assiociate with the access point, nothing else.

Tried with two RPI3, and in two different locations and access points / wireless networks. Same result.

I have been able to connect the RPI3 to a monitor today to see what is happening, and it boots up correctly. Just the wifi stays disconnected.

Now, I have taken a network cable so I will be able to connect with LAN.

Can any one tell me how I can help troubleshooting this bug for dev to fix it ?
This is not the thread to ask, and in any case you already have a separate thread on this question - please keep to that one.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=140237&p=929417#p929417
thank you
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Superkikim

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:44 pm

Sorry, Texy, didn't know.

Then where can I get help ? Because on the other thread, there is no reaction until now, and as this is a very active thread here, I expected someone might be able to help. I'm kinda lost here. I really would appreciate some community support on this.

zacharias

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:12 pm

GPIO assignments: am I going crazy or is the RPi GPIO pinout not posted anywhere?

I just want to know how many GPIO pins are available to me, and everywhere I look, both on raspberrypi.org, in the repo on Github, and at third party sites, I find RPi 2 but not 3 schematics.

(Also the forum search wouldn't let me search for "gpio" because it's too common of a word, apparently.)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:33 pm

zacharias wrote:GPIO assignments: am I going crazy or is the RPi GPIO pinout not posted anywhere?

I just want to know how many GPIO pins are available to me, and everywhere I look, both on raspberrypi.org, in the repo on Github, and at third party sites, I find RPi 2 but not 3 schematics.

(Also the forum search wouldn't let me search for "gpio" because it's too common of a word, apparently.)
The GPIO pins of the PI2 and PI3 are identical.
use google to search this site, just append

site:raspberry.org/forums/
after your search term.

zacharias

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Aha!

Ok. I don't know if the exact-sameness of the GPIO pins in the 2 and 3 is explicitly stated anywhere, but if it is, I missed it.

In any event, that tells me everything I need to know. Thanks for the reply.

davidcoton

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:51 am

mahjongg wrote: use google to search this site, just append

site:raspberrypi.org/forums/
after your search term.
FTFY (incorrect URL)
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

stanleyella

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:25 am

Why does Kodi not work as well on Jessie and Openelec on RPi 3 as on RPi 2. Osmc won't even boot.
I preferred the SD slot on the RPi2. Any known software problems with Rpi 3? Cheers.

gkreidl

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:42 am

stanleyella wrote:Why does Kodi not work as well on Jessie ... on RPi 3 ?
But it does ...
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Hoenderdos

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:24 pm

I just bought the PI3 and i am a simple beginner. I installed Noobs on the mini SD card. connecting all cables conform instructions. Connect HDMI cable to my TV. Then connect the power: red ligh keeps on, white light is flickering 1 second only, nothing happens, nothing on screen. What to do?

DirkS

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:15 am

Hoenderdos wrote:I just bought the PI3 and i am a simple beginner. I installed Noobs on the mini SD card. connecting all cables conform instructions. Connect HDMI cable to my TV. Then connect the power: red ligh keeps on, white light is flickering 1 second only, nothing happens, nothing on screen. What to do?
Create a new topic in 'troubleshooting.
BTW: never seen a white light (led?) on any of the Pis...

Hibridinoisy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm thinking on buying RPi 3 B for a project that I have in mind, the main function of it would be to open a browser and play 3 videos at the same time. Would that be possible without many laggs? I'm doing this with some PCs already and some of those get stuck while playing.

EDIT: I don't need the videos to be displayed. I just need to get loaded.

fabio70mi

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi,

i'm looking at wifi supported interface modes with "iw list";
monitor and mesh (802.11s) modes are missing.

Do you think they will be implemented in the future ?

thank you
Fabio

jamesh

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Hibridinoisy wrote:I'm thinking on buying RPi 3 B for a project that I have in mind, the main function of it would be to open a browser and play 3 videos at the same time. Would that be possible without many laggs? I'm doing this with some PCs already and some of those get stuck while playing.

Not sure what you mean - if you are not playing them, what are you doing with them?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Hibridinoisy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:03 pm

jamesh wrote:
Hibridinoisy wrote:I'm thinking on buying RPi 3 B for a project that I have in mind, the main function of it would be to open a browser and play 3 videos at the same time. Would that be possible without many laggs? I'm doing this with some PCs already and some of those get stuck while playing.

Not sure what you mean - if you are not playing them, what are you doing with them?
I'm just experimenting with a self-made Traffic Exchange bot. I just need the view count to increase.
I'm quiet a newbie at this, so I don't know much about this, but I've been told that you can visit sites with a non-gui mode and having the videos in autoplay mode. Not sure if that works. If it does not work I would need the videos to be displayed then.

rpdom

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:22 am

hippy wrote:
gregeric wrote:The LEDs (and others) seem now to hang off a GPIO expander - the WiFi/BT combo chip gobbled up so many there weren't enough left. No idea about the details yet.
I don't know the details either but was surprised to read of a GPIO expander, and apparent loss of other previously used control lines, when the LAN9514 has a number of GPIO lines which could be used for LED and other purposes. Though obviously one would not want to hang frequently updated LED's or signals off the LAN914 as that would impact on the USB bus.
Just re-reading this thread and had a thought about this.

When the Pi 3A comes out, presumably it won't have a LAN9514, so those GPIOs wouldn't be available. Whether it will have BT and WiFi, I won't speculate.

gregeric

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 am

jdb wrote:BCM43438 supports FM reception, can I hack my Pi to attach an antenna?
No. The FMRX ball on BCM43438 is underneath the chip and surrounded by more important ones that needed to be routed out. PCB technology limits (no micro-vias, no via-in-pad) meant that we couldn't route this pin out at all.
If you don't run tracks to SDIO_D2 & SDIO_D3 (ie use 1-bit SDIO - you'll still get adequate throughput) can the FMRX ball be routed out for Rev1.3?

albatross

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi, I played around with a Pi a few years ago when they first came out with the idea of turning one into a remote cat cam using motion and a PS3 camera. It worked ok but with very poor frame rate and also kept freezing due to CPU load I suspect. I never really took it any further as my boy was too young to be interested in the project and once I had a Wifi adapter, 4 port hub etc it all got a bit unwieldy.

Now that my boy is 9 and showing an interest in this stuff I thinking of having another go with a Pi 3. I am thinking that with the power issues sorted out (no need for hub?) upgraded cpu and onboard wifi, it will make this a much more viable project? Is my thinking correct?

tvjon

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:02 pm

You should be fine.

I have several old usb cameras which I use for testing purposes, one of which is a Namtai camera - the EyeToy PS 2? or 1, I forget which. I've had it working for days sometimes with no problems. It outputs jpeg frames which are easy to work with. I suspect your ps3 camera is similar. You can post the info from it by looking at its label, & from a console window:

lsusb

HTH

albatross

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks I will give it a go.

FreddieG

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Just got my rpi3 and got wifi setup with some hassle.
- internal wifi doesn't connect to older routers (without n standard)
so had to use edimax-usb tongle.
- use desktop with BT rapoo kb&mouse - which initally worked fine but now keeps to freeze after some minutes.
could it be that some conflicts with internal BT develope?

... and now a question: would like to connect my BT speakers and am still struggling with the bluetoothctl. pairing ok, trusted ok but connecting doesnt work. would like to set it up, so that on rightmouseclick on volumn icon there will be options 1 analog, 2 HDMI and 3 BT. Can anyone point me in the right direction (has it already been done?)

Thanks for help.

NedTheNerd

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 pm

Have tried searching for an answer to this one, but haven't found anything.

With an RPi2 I boot from a USB hard drive without any issues.

I prepared a new SD card and new USB hard drive using the process I have used for years for both RPi1 and RPi2 but the RPi3 refuses to boot from the USB hard drive.

I have tried adding rootdelay to cmdline.txt with no success, as I find that the RPi3 boots faster than the RPi2.

Putting the same SD card and USB hard drive in a RPi2 it boots fine.

Anybody had the same issue? Can anybody advise?

Regards
Hardware: 1xRPi B 256Mb running Musicbox, 2 x RPi2's running Rasplex, RPi B+ running mail and web services, RPi2 running Plex Media Server

Return to “General discussion”