nicksoph

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:31 am

knarfboy wrote:Is it possible, in a new board Revision, to connect FM antenna port of BCM 43438 +3.3 volts?
Not possible. The pin out for the antenna is in the center of the CPU and has not been routed out to the PCB because no method could be found without increasing the number of PCB layers required.

ju2raisin

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Hello,

Congratulations, Raspberry's Team. The family is growing!

What about i2c clock streching issue ont the pi3?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:56 pm

ju2raisin wrote:What about i2c clock streching issue ont the pi3?
VideoCore is unchanged on Pi3 and that is where the I2C peripheral is, so no change in behaviour.

mikronauts

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:43 pm

You will NEVER be able to use 3v3/5v/GND pins for I/O.
maughanorama wrote:GPIOS.

can i use ANY ( 1,2,4 14,15,17) gpios as an input now ? or is there only 26 usable inputs (a basic push to make switch is going to be used )
basically can we now re-assign all gpios in RP3 ?

Thanks
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

maughanorama

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:07 pm

so can i remapp the below for direct push to make ( button) inputs ?
14,15 UART
27, 28 I2C
thanks

mikronauts

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Uart yes, but disable serial console

I2C probably not a good idea

Do yourself a favour: just wire an MCP23017 I2C I/O expander to the I2C bus, it will let you add 16 push buttons trivially.
maughanorama wrote:so can i remapp the below for direct push to make ( button) inputs ?
14,15 UART
27, 28 I2C
thanks
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

maughanorama

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:48 pm

ahh see so i could do that and have 26+16 ?

davidcoton

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:45 pm

maughanorama wrote:would something like this work for me https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/product ... IO-Pi-Plus
Yes that looks good.
Signature retired

mhelin

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:22 pm

dom wrote:
VideoCore is unchanged on Pi3 and that is where the I2C peripheral is, so no change in behaviour.
Are the peripherals in VideoCore defined by software? If so then please consider implementing the TDM multichannel format for the PCM/I2S block as well.

jamesh

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:41 pm

mhelin wrote:
dom wrote:
Are the peripherals in VideoCore defined by software? If so then please consider implementing the TDM multichannel format for the PCM/I2S block as well.
Parts are set up by software certainly, but you cannot always get round a lack of HW support with software.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

raspfr33k

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Micro SDCard Slot on Pi 3 different from Pi 2. On Pi2 the card pushes/clicks in spring action same with removal but the Pi 3 it just slides in no spring action??

dom

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:09 pm

raspfr33k wrote:Micro SDCard Slot on Pi 3 different from Pi 2. On Pi2 the card pushes/clicks in spring action same with removal but the Pi 3 it just slides in no spring action??
Correct. sdcards accidentally popping out when attaching cables/USB devices was one reason this was changed.

raspfr33k

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:23 pm

dom wrote:
raspfr33k wrote:Micro SDCard Slot on Pi 3 different from Pi 2. On Pi2 the card pushes/clicks in spring action same with removal but the Pi 3 it just slides in no spring action??
Correct. sdcards accidentally popping out when attaching cables/USB devices was one reason this was changed.
Which makes perfect sense. I am just uncomfortable about the fact that you could slam/push it too hard and either damage the card or slot, because your thinking its a push button feel and waiting for it to click in and you find out a few seconds later you need to stop before doing any damage.

hhoanganh

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:58 am

Does anyone know any barcode or rfid reader module that work with Pi 3 bluetooth ? Want to build a card reader machine to record staff attendance. Thanks.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:19 am

hhoanganh wrote:Does anyone know any barcode or rfid reader module that work with Pi 3 bluetooth ? Want to build a card reader machine to record staff attendance. Thanks.
That is a general Pi question, not Pi3 specific - please start a separate thread for that.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am

hhoanganh wrote:Does anyone know any barcode or rfid reader module that work with Pi 3 bluetooth ? Want to build a card reader machine to record staff attendance. Thanks.
Try tweeting https://twitter.com/mruktechreviews
He had an RFID reader project at the Pi Party.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

gregeric

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:51 pm

If you're interested to add the u.FL connector for an external WiFi /BT antenna, see https://hackaday.io/project/10091-raspb ... al-antenna

Rather than flicking off the tiny zero-ohm resistors, I'd planned on de-soldering the chip antenna (I'd figured that was easier to re-solder).

FumblePi

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:29 pm

jdb wrote:Due to the higher clockspeeds, Pi 3 will run hotter than Pi 2. The oft-repeated line that "Raspberry Pi doesn't need a heatsink" is now "you will need a heatsink if you run into thermal throttling".

The existing 2A Pi power supply will be sufficient for the vast majority of users. The 2.5A option is there for people wanting to use high-current USB peripherals (or e.g. a Pi 3 and a DSI display).
Just got my RPI3 but no luck with the 2Amp Original RPI PSU. It just seems to hang on the colored square. There is nothing connected except the HDMI Cable... Please advise...

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Write a new SDCard with a fresh copy of plain Raspbian 2016-02-26 or NOOBS 1.8.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

FumblePi

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:08 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Write a new SDCard with a fresh copy of plain Raspbian 2016-02-26 or NOOBS 1.8.
Cheers Dougie! That worked like a charm!

jacksonliam

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm

As a non-EE I'm really curious in what the components at play for the WiFi chip are here!
We have a 37.4kHz crystal.
The orange / white passives are I'm guessing all capacitors with the black ones being resistors. Is the larger passive above the chip a resistor too or perhaps a power supply filter?

The blue passive on the chips antenna output I'm not sure. I see two DC blocking capacitors. Its got a dot so I'm guessing its directional but I don't think its a diode. And I thought Baluns have more pins.
The large white component with the grey square on the waveguide, again not sure. I don't think its a balun, some kind of PI network?
The two green passives on the waveguide, forming part of the matching network I presume, 0-ohm links?

lb

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:03 pm

The bigger white part is probably a balun or something like that for impedance matching the antenna.

rotwang

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:44 am

I suspect I'm not the only one who would appreciate a statement about the current and future status of the Pi3 uarts.
I would like to upgrade an existing setup to use a Pi3 instead of a Pi2. However the prospect of the baud rate changing if the cpu decides to throttle (for whatever reason) makes this unworkable. Could you at least have considered using the secondary uart for bluetooth and changing the baud rate registers in line with cpu throttling, since that would (or could be) transparent to the user, rather than a situation where my external unit will crash without warning if the baud rate gets changed beyond the usual small percentage tolerance.
Roger

jamesh

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:32 pm

rotwang wrote:I suspect I'm not the only one who would appreciate a statement about the current and future status of the Pi3 uarts.
I would like to upgrade an existing setup to use a Pi3 instead of a Pi2. However the prospect of the baud rate changing if the cpu decides to throttle (for whatever reason) makes this unworkable. Could you at least have considered using the secondary uart for bluetooth and changing the baud rate registers in line with cpu throttling, since that would (or could be) transparent to the user, rather than a situation where my external unit will crash without warning if the baud rate gets changed beyond the usual small percentage tolerance.
Roger
I believe it possible with device tree to rearrange the uart allocation - there is a thread on the Pi github about this.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”