AndyStubbs

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:36 pm

I did think of doing that but with my luck the tape would either jam it firmly inside the case or just come away the second I 'really really' need to get the card out (that's just my kind of luck).

PhillyFromNL

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:34 pm

fourdee4d wrote:bcm43438 18.7x the strength of a FM radio transmitter (80 dBm)? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=1496 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
Does bcm43438 currently support hard/soft AP?
I seem to have it working in AP mode now. I had a working AP mode setup on wlan0 and when i updated my raspian i got a wlan1, then i removed my WIFI dongle and rebooted and it started working with the internal WIFI.
I do have some problems with some of my WIFI devices that had to reconnect and stuff. But it seems to work.

Code: Select all

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Master  Tx-Power=1496 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

mob-i-l

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 pm

jdb wrote:
Paul Webster wrote: Looks like BCM43438 also has FM radio capability. Is there a chance of accessing it? If yes, is there a way to connect an external antenna?
Nope and nope. PCB technology limits mean that we couldn't route out the FM antenna pin. It's left disconnected underneath the chip, unfortunately.
Maybe one could insert a thin gold foil and reach the FM radio antenna pin under the chip. Is the data sheet for BCM43438 available? because I couldn't find it. I have many mobile phones with FM radio and their PCB technology could handle routing out an FM antenna pin (or they have their antennas under the chip).
Have Pi0&1A&1B&1B+&2B&3B&4B w/ Raspbian. Started w/ BASIC on ABC80&ZX81 then Forth, Z80… https://scratch.mit.edu/users/mobluse/ https://github.com/mobluse/ https://twitter.com/mobluse/ https://YouTube.com/MOBiL4u/

rpdom

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:52 pm

paulhothersall wrote:CSI lanes?

Is there anyway to expose the extra lanes.... or have these already been on in the Pi3?
Not enough pins on the connectors? The CM, for example, has a different connector and needs an adaptor board to use the camera.

Bavilo

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase the RPi 3, but before I do I have a few questions.
The RPi is supposed to be my new HTPC and needs to meet these requirements:

24p Playback
DTS-HD, DTS-HD Master, TrueHD Audio
Optional: UHD

Thanks!

GTR2Fan

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:22 pm

jdb wrote:
Paul Webster wrote: Looks like BCM43438 also has FM radio capability. Is there a chance of accessing it? If yes, is there a way to connect an external antenna?
Nope and nope. PCB technology limits mean that we couldn't route out the FM antenna pin. It's left disconnected underneath the chip, unfortunately.
Hmm. I wonder if there'd be enough capacitive coupling through the top of the SOC package for a large heatsink to act as an antenna. ;)
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Havinit

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:06 pm

AndyStubbs wrote:Not so much a question but more of a tip for Pi 3 owners that use a case..

I use the Flirc case and with the new non latching Micro SD card reader implemented on the Pi 3 it's almost impossible to get the SD Card back out without taking the case apart or poking at the SD card with a pin and needle nosed pliers (pretty sure that's not going to be great for the health of the SD card) so you may want to think about buying a micro SD card extension cable.
That's bothersome. I was just looking at the Flirc containing the Pi2 I'm writing this on, and thinking: OK, so the LEDs have moved from right to left, no biggie since the aperture in the case is symmetric. Now it turns out the case is basically useless for Pi3. "Oh, just make a tab with sticky-tape..." Bollocks. How long does sticky-tape adhesive last? Not long at all unless it's duct-tape, which I think may be a tad chunky for the aperture.

Most practical solution for long-term installations looks to be sawing out a portion of the bottom casing so you can get a finger under the card's lip. SEXY.

mattrix

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:24 pm

Using latest Noobs 1.8 on Raspberry Pi 3 - WiFi option grayed out?
I assumed it would support the Pi3 wifi chip??
www.matthuisman.nz

asandford

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:20 am

Not a showstopper, but poweroff command leaves the green LED on.

RPi3

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:43 am

asandford wrote:Not a showstopper, but poweroff command leaves the green LED on.
Also noticed this and was going to post a comment. Both the red and green LEDs stay on when using the sudo shutdown command.

rpdom

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:33 am

GTR2Fan wrote:
jdb wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if there'd be enough capacitive coupling through the top of the SOC package for a large heatsink to act as an antenna. ;)
Perhaps if you mount a small fan on top to suck the radio waves in? :lol:

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:15 am

mattrix wrote:Using latest Noobs 1.8 on Raspberry Pi 3 - WiFi option grayed out?
I assumed it would support the Pi3 wifi chip??
NOOBS builds the kernel from github and we couldn't upload the files early. It will have to be added in 1.9.

Try copying the pi 3 dtb across to the noobs partition, that should enable it.

Pithagoros

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:24 am

Raspbian: It appears that changing the boot options so that the Pi starts to desktop terminal (not gui) doesn't start up the on board Wifi, even is supplicant is configured and previously working etc. Running startx from the command line will not recognise the presence of a wlan0 interface, in order to get the Pi to use its WiFi from boot, it has to boot straight to the gui desktop.

PeterO

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:16 am

RPi3 wrote:
asandford wrote:Not a showstopper, but poweroff command leaves the green LED on.
Also noticed this and was going to post a comment. Both the red and green LEDs stay on when using the sudo shutdown command.
What is the official line on when it is safe to "pull the plug" on a PI3 ? I miss the reassurance of the old 10 green led flashes :(

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

gregeric

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:35 am

You do get the reassuring, recognisable pulse of flashes, it's just that it ends up lit, not off.

Djinny

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:05 am

Will the pi3 be remaining at the $35 price tag (not including inflation from resellers)
Or will it be shooting up in price after the "sale" is over?
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.
I would very much so like to see a Pi2/Pi3 Zero, power and size.

tvjon

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:07 am

Pithagoros wrote:Raspbian: It appears that changing the boot options so that the Pi starts to desktop terminal (not gui) doesn't start up the on board Wifi, even is supplicant is configured and previously working etc. Running startx from the command line will not recognise the presence of a wlan0 interface, in order to get the Pi to use its WiFi from boot, it has to boot straight to the gui desktop.
Not in my experience.

Boot to cli, & this rpi3 has an IP address. I can ping anywhere.

startx

also brings up wifi fine, so it looks like another problem?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:07 am

Djinny wrote:Will the pi3 be remaining at the $35 price tag (not including inflation from resellers)
What "Sale" ?? Where did you read that ??
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Djinny

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:19 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: What "Sale" ?? Where did you read that ??
hence the quotes. A friend and i are debating the future price of the pi3, because of the words "RASPBERRY PI 3 ON SALE NOW AT $35"

I'm confident it will stay at $35, but she insists it'll go way up. So i'm trying to get some confirmation.
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.

GTR2Fan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 am

Djinny wrote:I'm confident it will stay at $35, but she insists it'll go way up. So i'm trying to get some confirmation.
Has the official price of any previous model of Pi ever gone up?
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jamesh

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 am

Djinny wrote:Will the pi3 be remaining at the $35 price tag (not including inflation from resellers)
$35 is the price. This is not a sale, this is simply selling. Why do you think it's a sale?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Djinny

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 am

jamesh wrote: $35 is the price. This is not a sale, this is simply selling. Why do you think it's a sale?
I don't, was just getting confirmation, so i can "in your face" a friend, who insisted it'll be going up after an introductory sale period.

PeterO

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 am

gregeric wrote:You do get the reassuring, recognisable pulse of flashes, it's just that it ends up lit, not off.
So you do :oops: My PI3 is hidden behind its monitor so I never looked round there soon enough to see the flashes, :roll: so I only saw that it had ended up on.
I suppose the thing to do is assume that if by the time I look it is solidly on then I was too slow to see the flashes !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 am

Pithagoros wrote:Raspbian: It appears that changing the boot options so that the Pi starts to desktop terminal (not gui) doesn't start up the on board Wifi, even is supplicant is configured and previously working etc. Running startx from the command line will not recognise the presence of a wlan0 interface, in order to get the Pi to use its WiFi from boot, it has to boot straight to the gui desktop.
Seems to work for me.
http://paste.debian.net/411323

I installed raspbian, booted to CLI, configured wifi using the provided gui, set it to 'boot to cli' and rebooted.

What does 'sudo journalctl -u dhcpcd' say?

joan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 am

Does the wireless support channels 12 and 13?

(I have tried update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, rpi-update and BRANCH=next rpi-update).

Return to “General discussion”