fruit-uk

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am

PeterO wrote:Having just put a PI3 into a Pibow case I find that the decision to replace the sdcard holder with a friction fit means it is now actually impossible (with my big fingers) to remove the card without using long-nose pliers to grab the card.
I have a pair of tweezers handy for exactly that purpose - especially useful for the official display.

adun

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:14 am

gregeric wrote:
adun wrote:Even the act led has moved to a virtgpio. I assume they needed GPIO 47 again for sd-card detect. As the pi can now boot directly from usb / pxe.
I started a new thread on RPi3B schematics for us to tease this all out: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=138280
Good idea ;)

flag26838

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Am i the only one experiencing garbage on the serial port? (i mean the gpio rx/tx pins) - cable is good since it works fine on my raspi2.

I am testing with the latest jessie image, and after logging via ssh the board seems fine.

Another question: is there a way to disable _forever_ the wifi / bluetooth? I noticed that, upon boot, wlan0 is always up (as is bluetooth) and removing these lines from /etc/netwowrk/interfaces:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

didn't make any difference.

dickon

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:21 pm

jamesh wrote: There is a config.txt option to boot the cores in 64 mode, so if you have a 64 bit kernel it might work.
Out of interest, what is that option? I can't see it documented anywhere (at least, nowhere that Google has spotted yet) and I'd like to play with a 64-bit Debian.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:10 pm

dickon wrote: Out of interest, what is that option? I can't see it documented anywhere (at least, nowhere that Google has spotted yet) and I'd like to play with a 64-bit Debian.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=137963

You'll still need a a Pi compatible kernel, built for 64-bit (which doesn't currently exist), but if a kernel dev wanted to work on this, it is possible.

OldBoggy

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:45 pm

Is anyone using the Pi 3 with a wireless keyboard ?
I would like to use the onboard wifi for a network connection and use a wireless keyboard & touchpad as well but I was worried about possible conflicts or interference.
If anyone knows of a keyboard that works (or knows that I am worrying about nothing) please let me know which

fourdee4d

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:48 pm

gregeric wrote:What is it you are running, DietPi, not the latest Raspbian Jessie image?
I'am trying to add support for the WiFi/Bluetooth in DietPi for the RPiv3. Unlike OSMC/OpenElec/UbuntuMate who most likely had this information prior to the RPiv3 release, i'am having to play catchup :)

From what I can tell, there is a new .deb package that isnt available on the Jessie repo, yet exists on the Raspbian image:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# apt-get install pi-bluetooth
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pi-bluetooth
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

rpdom

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:57 pm

fourdee4d wrote:From what I can tell, there is a new .deb package that isnt available on the Jessie repo, yet exists on the Raspbian image:

[email protected]:~# apt-get install pi-bluetooth
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pi-bluetooth
The package is in the archive.raspberrypi.org jessie repository as it's a Raspberry Pi specific package

[email protected] ~ $ apt-cache policy pi-bluetooth
pi-bluetooth:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.1.0
  Version table:
     0.1.0 0
        500 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie/main armhf Packages
Run "sudo apt-get update" to update your lists and you should find it.

leol

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:22 pm

OldBoggy wrote:Is anyone using the Pi 3 with a wireless keyboard ?
I would like to use the onboard wifi for a network connection and use a wireless keyboard & touchpad as well but I was worried about possible conflicts or interference.
If anyone knows of a keyboard that works (or knows that I am worrying about nothing) please let me know which
I'm having no problems with two different makes. (Novatech & Rii)

Leo

joan

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 pm

flag26838 wrote:Am i the only one experiencing garbage on the serial port? (i mean the gpio rx/tx pins) - cable is good since it works fine on my raspi2.
No. It's probably not complete garbage. It seems to be login prompts cycling through different baud rates (as if it's trying to auto sense).

webm video http://abyz.co.uk/videos/random-uart.webm

fourdee4d

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:53 pm

rpdom wrote:The package is in the archive.raspberrypi.org jessie repository as it's a Raspberry Pi specific package

[email protected] ~ $ apt-cache policy pi-bluetooth
pi-bluetooth:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.1.0
  Version table:
     0.1.0 0
        500 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie/main armhf Packages
Nice one, found it: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... bluetooth/. Seems some outdated apt sources.d lists was causing the issue: http://raspberrypi.collabora.com/
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone

PeterO

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:19 pm

noggin wrote: The guys at Pimoroni reported that the most common failure on uSD Pis with springy slots was the springy slot failing. Also a lot of people found the uSD card flying out when they were holding the board to change connectors really annoying. They've redesigned the Pibow to provide a larger slot around the uSD card to get your fingers in to remove it.
They do not appear to have made it bigger, well at least not big enough for anyone with adult sized fingers to actually be able to grab it. I have to use long nosed pliers to get mine out and I have to be very careful not to crush the card while doing so.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:35 pm

PeterO wrote:
noggin wrote: The guys at Pimoroni reported that the most common failure on uSD Pis with springy slots was the springy slot failing. Also a lot of people found the uSD card flying out when they were holding the board to change connectors really annoying. They've redesigned the Pibow to provide a larger slot around the uSD card to get your fingers in to remove it.
They do not appear to have made it bigger, well at least not big enough for anyone with adult sized fingers to actually be able to grab it. I have to use long nosed pliers to get mine out and I have to be very careful not to crush the card while doing so.

PeterO
Drill a hole in the card and put a bit of string through it so you can pull it out.

I'm sure that will work....

(Please don't try this at home)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mikerr

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:50 pm

a "tag" made of tape works better, and can be folded up flush with the case.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

PeterO

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:51 pm

mikerr wrote:a "tag" made of tape works better, and can be folded up flush with the case.
Like this ?
http://www.peteronion.org.uk/PiPics/SdCardTab.png
That is a bit of a sticky label folded back on itself so it sticks to both sides of the card for extra strength.
Great minds etc etc :D

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Arjan

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:02 pm

jdb wrote: The UART on the GPIO header is now the mini-uart - a slight downside is that variations in core frequency change your baudrate. Forcing a fixed core clock works around this issue.
Just to be sure that I am on the same page. Does this change means that the PL011 is not available anymore on external header pins 8/10 ?

Thanks, Arjan
http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/
Open Source DMX/RDM/MIDI/OSC/Art-Net/sACN solutions

PeterO

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 pm

jdb wrote:. The UART on the GPIO header is now the mini-uart - a slight downside is that variations in core frequency change your baudrate. Forcing a fixed core clock works around this issue.
This seems to mean that the default "ondemand" governor is now unusable if you use the serial line ?

PeterO

fourdee4d

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:55 pm

ARMv8? typo? https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 3-model-b/
A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU

[email protected]:~# lscpu
Architecture:          armv7l
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
Model name:            ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
CPU max MHz:           1200.0000
CPU min MHz:           600.0000

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:59 pm

fourdee4d wrote:ARMv8? typo? https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 3-model-b/
A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU

[email protected]:~# lscpu
Architecture:          armv7l
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
Model name:            ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
CPU max MHz:           1200.0000
CPU min MHz:           600.0000
Maybe because it is running in 32 mode ?????

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A53
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

paulhothersall

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:02 pm

CSI lanes?

Is there anyway to expose the extra lanes.... or have these already been on in the Pi3?

Thinking of the replacement camera module, and higher FPS feeds to feed the now faster VC4.

specifically looking at 720p60 (really really this time) 720p120 and maybe like 1080p50 or 1080p60. or even the 480p240 ?

fourdee4d

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:07 pm

bcm43438 18.7x the strength of a FM radio transmitter (80 dBm)? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

[email protected]:~# iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=1496 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
Does bcm43438 currently support hard/soft AP?

fourdee4d

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Maybe because it is running in 32 mode ?????

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A53
Who knows ?????

robert_heinze

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:15 pm

We are operating EnOceanPi's on our RPis.
Could it be possible that this modul generates a conflict with the WiFi modules or BT on the RPi3?

AndyStubbs

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Not so much a question but more of a tip for Pi 3 owners that use a case..

I use the Flirc case and with the new non latching Micro SD card reader implemented on the Pi 3 it's almost impossible to get the SD Card back out without taking the case apart or poking at the SD card with a pin and needle nosed pliers (pretty sure that's not going to be great for the health of the SD card) so you may want to think about buying a micro SD card extension cable.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:27 pm

AndyStubbs wrote:Not so much a question but more of a tip for Pi 3 owners that use a case..

I use the Flirc case and with the new non latching Micro SD card reader implemented on the Pi 3 it's almost impossible to get the SD Card back out without taking the case apart or poking at the SD card with a pin and needle nosed pliers (pretty sure that's not going to be great for the health of the SD card) so you may want to think about buying a micro SD card extension cable.
Another alternative is a bit of paper taped to the card to pull it out. Right now I am using tweezers to get the card out, but will probably switch to the tape... has the advantage of being able to label cards.

Return to “General discussion”