Zalkiaent

What do YOU do with your raspi?

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Hello!
I have been wanting to find out what other people have been doing with the RASPI 2-B, PI-ZERO and other stuff!
THIS TEXT IS SO GREEN!!! :mrgreen:
Anyway, please let me know in the comments!
-zalk

anand1

Re: What do YOU do with your raspi?

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Planning to design Voice Mail Server (VMS).....hope so........... :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

Heater

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Speed, thermal and pressure controller on my prototype unicorn mulching machine. Look out for the kickstarter soon.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

GTR2Fan

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Nothing much. Just replacing a power-hungry Intel-based quadcore tower PC with an overclocked Pi2B that consumes around 1/10th of the power. It's also a 24/7 media server to various devices around the home.
Last edited by GTR2Fan on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Heater

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:07 pm

I have been experimenting with remote system deployment using the services of resin.io.https://resin.io Resin is pretty cool. My first trial with resin is a WIFI connected Pi spying on the clock in my kitchen:
https://035cfbc42452d7eeed7d5430e00a048 ... ndevice.io

Kratos

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:53 pm

I have 2 raspberry pi 2's. I use one as a media center with Kodi installed on Raspbian Jessie. The other is used for mostly random stuff, like, slo mo videos (I so spelled that right), time lapse videos, python programming, and normal use.

Kratos

PS: This was posted on a pi
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

TMy

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:59 am

I built a media player in a box for my disabled son. There is no screen, just large colored buttons.

Blue - Internet radio. He can select one of several stations.
Green - Over 1000 of his favorite songs playing randomly.
Yellow - Over 100 old time radio programs playing randomly.
Orange - Audio books playing sequentially.
Red - Pause

It works great.

Akselmo

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:35 am

I made myself a retro PC. Well, still have to make a proper case for it and install few more games, but yeah.

I call it Pi98 because I've made my Raspbian look like Windows 98.

Here's a link to my project page, it has pictures: http://nikita.tnnet.fi/~akselmo/pi98/

My post formatting may be off because I'm typing this on mobile, sorry!

liudr

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:47 am

Trying to build data loggers out of them. The network connectivity and sheer amount of resources on an RPI compared with arduino makes me want to explore. But the more features the more complicated things get. Even rpi 2B is a slow desktop computer even for web browsing. I wonder how many kids are actually using it to learn programming as originally designed.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

rzusman

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:36 am

My first Pi was purchased to make a custom “Digital Photo Frame.”
Unlike the ones you buy in the store, this one has a 50” 3840 x 2160 (4K) monitor, and the images are stored uncompressed on an OS X server. The Pi turns the monitor on in the morning (using lirc), and then grabs a random image every 4 hours and displays it on the monitor. The Pi is connected to my network via WiFi. Everything is hidden - the monitor looks like a picture hanging on the wall. I wrote the program in Python - my first try at using Python (I’m a C programmer).

I am currently designing a new controller for the next-generation product at my company. I am using a Pi Compute Module. I plan on developing all the code on OS X, using Xcode, and having Xcode cross-compile it for the Pi.

raspmypi

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:29 am

I started with an orange pi clone 1.6gig quad core w/1gig ddr3 ram, for US.$30.00 from china w/ubuntu vivid mate but that doesn't have an lvds port, for my 7 inch touch screen
that i got off ebay.com. Now I'm using a raspberry pi 2, w/rasberian jessie 02/2016 release.., and a 128gb sdcard, wifi n dongle, wireless keyboard and mouse combo, and powered 4 port hub...all worked out of the box so to speak...Linux Rocks...
Note Here; didn't get to far with the noobs installer though... Couldn't install Raspberian jessie because the 4gig card i was using didn't have enough space on it.. weird...But I am up and running now...Used windows 7, and win32disk_imager.exe, and 128gig fat32 class 10 sdcard....If you go this route, I.E. Windows7,and know how to work with .img files, it's easy as pi.....
My hope, for a project, is to eventually modify a netbook like platform like the acer aspire netbook to run a ras pi 2, using the battery from the netbook for power to the pi 2, and lcd 7 inch touch screen, and the 4 port powered hub all from the 18 volt battery of the netbook.... I saw a video on youtube , the worlds smallest computer a gba sp modded with a pi board that does amazing things with the right software installed..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSBGk25Vamk
I cant wait for the new iterations of the pi like boards I.E. SBC (single board computers), like the pine64, parallela, and others...I know that the pi was intended for low cost simple computing needs, but I think the possibilities are endless as far as extending or modifying moore's law with the tech being developed now days...and all the people getting into it....It truly is Good to be Living in this time of technical growth...
I am NOT Dyslexic.. I just think in Three Dimensions!!...
Dyslexic's are teople poo!!....2 NOOBS like me READ MORE, POST LESS....

DrWoz

Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:16 am

I am having the most fun using my Pi's to make the lights go to the music! I use the program lightshowpi ( www.lightshowpi.org ), excellent program for the job. It all started with a Christmas light show then went to my bike using rgbw led's. On the bike I have the white lights hooked up to a switch in case i need light.

Christmas lightshow
https://youtu.be/R02cdb191SU

bike light show
https://youtu.be/Tnc9hrBC_RA

ejolson

Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:49 am

liudr wrote:Even rpi 2B is a slow desktop computer even for web browsing. I wonder how many kids are actually using it to learn programming as originally designed.
Strangely enough, web browsers are pretty heavy weight compared to gcc, Python and even Scratch. In my opinion, the 2B works quite well as a development platform. It would be very interesting to get some numbers about how many are actually being used by kids for programming. As more than 8 million have been sold, it seems likely that many kids have used them at least to write some simple code.

I used my Pi B to create a Pi controlled toy car by mounting it to the top of a remote controlled car. I used the Pi 2B to develop and test my port to ARM architecture of the gcc implementation of the MIT/Intel Cilk parallel processing extensions for the C/C++ programming language.

Heater

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:13 am

Yes, I was about to say, web browsing is about the hardest work our computers do today. A web browser is about one of the most complex pieces of code we run now a days. There is nothing light weight or trivial about web browsing.

Just now I developing some code that take about 10 seconds to build on my PC and about 60 seconds on the Pi 2. This is a royal pain. Strangely enough the running code consumes almost half as much RAM on the Pi as the PC. No idea why.

Formidable Fox

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:37 am

I'm currently working on using my pi as a timelapse camera that's aimed at the mountains where I live. After it takes the photos and stitches them to an mp4 file it will automatically upload to Twitter. So far I don't know what I'm doing but I'm loving the learning process.

liudr

Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:00 am

I avoid developing anything for pi ON pi. Too slow. I used to compile C/C++ project on pi. Don't like to do it anymore, although I taught myself how to daemonize code with that project. With Python, it is much easier to glue different modules together into a project. Fingers crossed. Python code is easily portable between OS. So I'm sticking to it for now. My major pain using a pi is that you have to either have kmv for pi or networked access with it. At home it's fine. At work, I dedicated kmv for one pi (essentially amputated one of my win PCs). I got network access but need to have the kmv to read IP address before I can connect. I imagine that a student will have a very time playing with pi at school. They will be stuck in a computer lab or how else can they find the ip address without kmv?
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

brekee12

Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:25 am

An electronic demonstrating system with DSO, DSS, pattern generator and digital signal scope. I have to think about the circuits to demonstrate with and I have to finetuning the instruments.
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

GTR2Fan

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:09 am

liudr wrote:Even rpi 2B is a slow desktop computer even for web browsing.
That depends on a number of factors...

1/ The speed of your Internet connection. That's a major bottleneck for me no matter what the hardware.

2/ The web browser you're using. Chromium 48 seems to make the most of the Pi2B's 4 CPU cores.

3/ Whether or not you've overclocked your Pi2B. This can make a significant difference in most areas.

4/ And, of course, what you're comparing it to. :)
liudr wrote:I avoid developing anything for pi ON pi. Too slow.
I've never developed anything major from scratch on the Pi2B, although I do occasionally compile other's work for myself. As an example of the potential speed increase of using an overclocked Pi2B versus a stock-clocked original Pi Model B, Quake 3 Arena takes roughly 1 hour to compile on a stock Model B, and exactly 6 minutes 32 seconds to compile on the Pi2B in my sig. Relatively speaking, they're incredibly fast. :P
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Gergmchairy

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 am

At the moment I have 4 PI's doing useful things..

1. DNS, DHCP and file server
2. Weather station in the garden
3. Automated Irrigation & monitoring of our Polytunnel.
4. Data Capture from my Solar Panels (PV)
5. Bird Box Cam for my little lad!

Oh, that's 5 now!! :-)

I also have a Dev machine in my office... Think I might have caught the PI bug!

Greg

karrika

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:02 am

I am just gearing up for this years theater play. Here is a picture from last year.

The Raspberry Pi + DiscoHAT takes care of all light and sound control of the play.

chronek

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:10 pm

my raspi doing firewall, wifi router, dhcp, dns cache, squid, mail, small cacti, hfsc traffic shaping and sometimes heating system, but this not too well

r3d4

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Same thing i do everyday
*muhahah*

alphanumeric

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:50 pm

I have a 2B connected to a Pi foundation 7 inch touch screen, mounted to an aluminum beam frame with a large solderless bread board. I play around with breakout boards and other electronics on it. It's portable enough to move from room to room or take out on my deck to play with.
I have another 2B running OPENELEC KODI as a media Center.
I have an A+ with a sense hat connected, setup as a weather clock. It shows a scrolling message on the LED matrix of the Date, Time, Temperature, Humidity and Barometric Pressure. The text changes color depending on conditions.

kusti8

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:54 pm

One Pi is converting analog audio to HDMI digital for our schools TV studio.

Another was a magazine sorter at a time, complete with app, conveyor belt and webcam.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dimonic

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:06 pm

I have replaced a full sized server tower serving files, printer, scanner, several websites, blog site with a Pi 2.

A 50 fold power consumption saving. At 12 c per KWh (Ontario), that is a saving of about $98 / year, which is close to what I paid for the Pi / Drive combo.

http://blog.lbs.ca/technology/.

Return to “General discussion”