Page 4 of 6

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:55 pm
by scotty101
I haven't had any luck. :(

Connected a known working Pi but the screen doesn't turn on even after pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

Tried it with a PlayStation3 too and no joy with that either.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:52 pm
by Aydan
I'm having a problem with the Keybard/Touchpad not autoconnection after boot/reboot :?
This seriously sucks.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:54 pm
by Aydan
scotty101 wrote:I haven't had any luck. :(

Connected a known working Pi but the screen doesn't turn on even after pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

Tried it with a PlayStation3 too and no joy with that either.
Did you try to switch it on when connected to the charger?
If that works and you can't switch it on without the charger, then you have a defective one. You should open a ticket with nexdock support.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 am
by scotty101
Aydan wrote: Did you try to switch it on when connected to the charger?
If that works and you can't switch it on without the charger, then you have a defective one. You should open a ticket with nexdock support.
Yes. Tried turning it on with and without the charger connected. I've raised a ticket and they are suggesting I change the Pi's resolution settings to 1366x768 and to try again. Did you have to do that? I thought HDMI devices could request a resolution from the connected device.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:24 am
by alexeames
scotty101 wrote: I thought HDMI devices could request a resolution from the connected device.
They can as long as there is an EEPROM correctly programmed with the EDID information on the LCD's driver board. Some are temperamental and need to be forced.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 am
by Aydan
scotty101 wrote:
Aydan wrote: Did you try to switch it on when connected to the charger?
If that works and you can't switch it on without the charger, then you have a defective one. You should open a ticket with nexdock support.
Yes. Tried turning it on with and without the charger connected. I've raised a ticket and they are suggesting I change the Pi's resolution settings to 1366x768 and to try again. Did you have to do that? I thought HDMI devices could request a resolution from the connected device.
I didn't have to force resolution, right now I have a Pi3 conneced to it and it boots without problems into the correct resolution.
The HDMI device doesn't request a resolution, it tells the source which resolutions it has available, and which one the preferred one is. The source has to act on this information.
Turning on of the nexdock also works without anything connected. It'll shut off after a few seconds.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:52 am
by Koeshi
I haven't received any e-mail notification. But I have received a text from Fedex regarding a delivery, I don't remember ordering anything that could be coming by courier recently so I assume it is the NexDock. Has this been the same experience for anyone else?

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:04 pm
by scotty101
Koeshi wrote:I haven't received any e-mail notification. But I have received a text from Fedex regarding a delivery, I don't remember ordering anything that could be coming by courier recently so I assume it is the NexDock. Has this been the same experience for anyone else?
Same for me. Fedex notified me before I received the notification from NexDock.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:25 pm
by Koeshi
Well Fedex in all their joyous wonder, do not deliver on weekends and will only accept alternative address directly next to your original address. So I foresee that once again I will be driving for ages to a depot to collect a package that I paid to have delivered to me. Wonderful...

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:50 pm
by scotty101
Changing resolution didn't work. Looks like I've been sent a broken unit.
No lights turn on when I press and hold the button.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:29 pm
by scotty101
:lol: :lol:

NexDock have just asked me to take the cover off the unit to look for any loose connections. Wish they'd just accept it is broken.

Can post the photos if anyone is interested.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:07 am
by blaablaaguy
scotty101 wrote::lol: :lol:

NexDock have just asked me to take the cover off the unit to look for any loose connections. Wish they'd just accept it is broken.

Can post the photos if anyone is interested.
XD LOL ROFL and all that stuff :lol:.
Pics please, id like to know whats in that thing

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:14 pm
by scotty101
Photos are here.

NexDock Inside https://imgur.com/gallery/No4Wi

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:57 pm
by mikerr
Aydan wrote:I'm having a problem with the Keybard/Touchpad not autoconnection after boot/reboot :?
That's pi specific - there's a fix here to add a line into crontab:
http://nexdock.com/support-raspberry-pi/#

Code: Select all

 crontab -e
@reboot echo “connect MACADDRESSOFNEXDOCK” | bluetoothctl
Have mine and working ok with Pi 3, Surface Pro 3 and Pi zero (+ Iot hat for wifi / BT)
ImageImageImage
Iot hat: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... escription
https://redbear.cc/product/iot-phat.html

Sound is a bit quiet, and the touchpad varies from ok to jumpy - but overall a great device.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:27 pm
by scotty101
mikerr wrote:Sound is a bit quiet, and the touchpad varies from ok to jumpy - but overall a great device.
No wonder! Have a look at the images I posted of inside the NexDock, the speakers are tiny and underneath the dock.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:37 am
by Koeshi
Mine arrived yesterday, haven't had a chance to test it yet, but hopefully tonight I will have the chance to at least check that it is functional. At least it is not obviously broken from first impressions.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:06 pm
by KokoMcNeal
My NexDock came today (I'm in Germany) and I have to say I am quite amazed.
Delivery was with FedEx which worked very good. Tracking worked from China to my doorstep. I attached a Pi 3 and it booted directly in the GUI. Resolution was working out of the box.
I paired keyboard and mouse (you need only to pay the keyboard, the touchpad comes automatically with it) and it also worked immediately. The quality of the touchpad is a little quesionable, the mouse acceleration seems to be weird.
Other than that, everything works like a charm.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:00 pm
by Koeshi
Well I just got a chance to give mine a little test. First impressions very good, powered on from battery, successfully powered and displayed Pi. Sound may not be great, but not terrible either. Then I noticed a strange line on the screen. Figured it was the plastic cover at first so removed it. Nope, my screen has a crack in it, just can't see it when powered off. Anyone else had something similar and if so have you had any luck contacting the NexDock team? Part of me says to leave it as it doesn't affect main functionality and they are a new company that had a bit of a struggle getting this off the ground. A larger part of me is pissed off because my new item that I paid for is broken.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:28 pm
by davidcoton
Koeshi wrote: Part of me says to leave it as it doesn't affect main functionality and they are a new company that had a bit of a struggle getting this off the ground. A larger part of me is pissed off because my new item that I paid for is broken.
Go with the larger part. There is no excuse even for a new, small company to deliver broken kit. At the very least they need to learn to package their product better (if it was damaged in transit). If it was damaged before dispatch, they may need better QA. With luck they have planned for some level of problems and will accept responsibility and put things right ASAP. If they "get away" with it, they won't learn, and there will be more disappointed customers down the line.

And finally, if they cannot (lack of resources/budget) or will not put things right, they need to be put out of business before they hurt lots more people.

Let us know how you get on, whether its good news or bad.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:28 am
by scotty101
Koeshi wrote: Anyone else had something similar and if so have you had any luck contacting the NexDock team?
I've had success contacting the team through their "Helpdesk" page on their website. They usually got back to me within 4 hours.

(although they haven't contacted me to organise replacement of my broken dock.)

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 am
by robin48gx
Just got a nexdock and last night began to connect it to a pi.
At first I thought it was broken, but then finally realised you had to turn the nexdock on just before turning the pi
on or the HDMI did not work. Bluetooth (just choose the nexdock device from the top menu bar)
was easy, keyboard and mouse coming off nexdock.

It all seemed to go OK for a few hours and I was apt-get ing things like texlive-science.
Left it on overnight, in the morning it was off.
Turned it back on and it was all shakey. The HDMI sometimes came on sometimes did not.
Not sure if PI HDMI buring out/HDMI cable/or Nexdock screen dropping out.
Will try a different pi3 tonight and post back ....

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:41 am
by robin48gx
Aydan wrote:I'm having a problem with the Keybard/Touchpad not autoconnection after boot/reboot :?
This seriously sucks.

Click the Bluetooth icon at the top and connect to the nexdock

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:54 am
by Koeshi
Well I got a response back saying to send a picture of the crack to their support e-mail address, so will be doing that when I get home. It is a strange one as there is not a crack in the glass surface but underneath it, so you can only see it when the screen is powered on or the light catches it at just the right angle.

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:59 pm
by Aydan
robin48gx wrote:Click the Bluetooth icon at the top and connect to the nexdock
Very funny, with what am I supposed to click if i only have the Pi and the Nexdock?

I solved it by putting

Code: Select all

echo "connect <MACADDRESS>" | bluetoothctl
into rc.local

Regards Aydan

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:00 pm
by Aydan
robin48gx wrote:Turned it back on and it was all shakey. The HDMI sometimes came on sometimes did not.
Not sure if PI HDMI buring out/HDMI cable/or Nexdock screen dropping out.
Will try a different pi3 tonight and post back ....
This is probably due to low battery. I've had it happen as well. Charging fixes it.

Regards
Aydan