TheGuyUk

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:38 am

It is just a fan boy novelty, cut down crippled Arm Android Tablet/Laptop. If Pi is about using not just consuming then make your own. This project is a blue sky wish project where nothing goes wrong and reality is discarded INMHO.

Want Linux Laptop. http://www.linux-on-laptops.com

Want a Arm Laptop http://recode.net/2015/10/29/why-google ... arquee-os/

Want a Raspberry Pi Laptop? Then build your own.

Aydan

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:23 am

I for one ordered the nexdock not for the Pi or my phone or as a laptop replacement, but as a console for my future server. TFT/Keyboard slideouts for 19" racks are hideously expensive. The nexdock will do very nicely for that.
@TheGuyUK
I have no idea why you bring up fanboyism.

Regards
Aydan

scotty101

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Seems like a great product. I don't have space for a dedicated desk but this lapdock will make it much easier for me to work on Pi projects without having to setup a monitor each time I want to work on something.

I've supported the fundraising, but I doubt they will reach their goal. The sums don't add up. They need thousands of people to buy the most expensive offering.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

buja

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 pm

scotty101 wrote:I've supported the fundraising, but I doubt they will reach their goal. The sums don't add up. They need thousands of people to buy the most expensive offering.
The $300,000 goal should be possible, some 1850 backers to go with a little over 3 weeks left.
The stretch goals are very ambitious.

buja

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:10 pm

The NexDock has reached the $99 perk goal (750 backers). The new perks are $119 for a single NexDock and $219 for a 2-pack.

ghodan

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:47 pm

49% of goal reached, 10 days left.
I do not think this project will achieve the target.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:49 pm

ghodan wrote:49% of goal reached, 10 days left.
I do not think this project will achieve the target.
I'd be inclined to agree, since most crowdfunding projects take more money in the first week than any other.
Most large projects take 3/5 of the money in half the time.
If you're not well over half-way by half-time you're very unlikely to succeed on a large project (barring some magical intervention by some mega-media).
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

buja

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:10 pm

I still keep my hopes up :!:

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:34 pm

buja wrote:I still keep my hopes up :!:
Of the campaigns I've tracked in detail, http://raspi.tv/kicktrack not one has raised more in the second half than in the first half.
Flotilla is tracked there, but HDMIPi, and Slice were no different. (It was based on those two large ones that I came up with the "3/5 in the first half" approximation, which holds true surprisingly often for smaller campaigns too).

buja

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:15 pm

alexeames wrote:
buja wrote:I still keep my hopes up :!:
Of the campaigns I've tracked in detail, http://raspi.tv/kicktrack not one has raised more in the second half than in the first half.
Flotilla is tracked there, but HDMIPi, and Slice were no different. (It was based on those two large ones that I came up with the "3/5 in the first half" approximation, which holds true surprisingly often for smaller campaigns too).
I am sure you are right, I just don't want to admit it ;)
This is the second crowdfunding project I backed. If it fails I might go for the official screen and make something with that.
The first project by the way is your ProHAT, which goes well. Very different thing of course, and much less money involved. I think that's an important success factor.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:51 pm

buja wrote:This is the second crowdfunding project I backed. If it fails I might go for the official screen and make something with that.
The first project by the way is your ProHAT, which goes well. Very different thing of course, and much less money involved. I think that's an important success factor.
Haha. I didn't realise that. Thanks for backing. :D Well it is true that complex products are much harder to get right, but it depends on your experience. It is a sobering thought though that 9% of projects funded on KS fail to deliver. Getting funded is really only the first hurdle.

ghodan

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:27 am

buja wrote: If it fails I might go for the official screen and make something with that.
Lets get ready for failure.
Here are the options i am thinking about:

Option 1:
This case + official pi screen + Pi3 + velctro taped powerbank on the back:
http://thepihut.com/collections/raspber ... creen-case
With keyboard options:
Riitek Model: RII-MWK12-WS-BK (Keyboard + touchpad)
or
Logitech K380

Option 2:
Motorola Lapdock
Ebay reseller in Isreal still got alot of new stock (qwerty layout)

Option 3:
Pi-Top (http://pi-top.com/#/buy/pi-top)

buja

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:48 am

Other options have to wait for a while, the campaign has been extended: 30 days left.

buja

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:51 am

Good news: the NexDock works well with the Pi 3: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nexd ... 2#/updates

Pithagoros

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:27 am

I think the NexDock made some mistakes in the pledge levels. Making two few early bird and single unit pledges available, they have all sold out and people don't want to chuck double the money for two units when they only want one. Making more single units available would have attracted a lot more money.

buja

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Pithagoros wrote:I think the NexDock made some mistakes in the pledge levels. Making two few early bird and single unit pledges available, they have all sold out and people don't want to chuck double the money for two units when they only want one. Making more single units available would have attracted a lot more money.
The whole point of an early bird pledge is that it's for early birds. ;)
You can still order a single unit at a price below the intended retail price.

Pithagoros

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:37 pm

buja wrote: The whole point of an early bird pledge is that it's for early birds. ;)
You can still order a single unit at a price below the intended retail price.
I do understand that, but I'd still find it tough to pay $120 for something that sold for $80.

buja

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Now you are being unfair, the introduction price was a steal. I backed at $99 and still think it's a very good deal.
It's probably more useful to compare the intended retail price of $149 against the price of similar offerings (Pi-Top) or other monitor & keyboard combinations.

liudr

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:38 pm

JRV wrote:
ghodan wrote: Difference? Only build in keyboard/mousepad.
The big difference is the battery.
That is to the point. My smart phone is less than a year old and a popular model. It barely lasts a whole day if I occasionally use it. If I attach a keyboard and mouse and try to do some work on it, it will not last half a day.

If you already have keyboard mouse monitor battery, then why not going the extra mile of putting in an atom processor? No mess, no dock or cables, just an all-in-one system and with USB and SD card. Oh, that is a netbook. Raspberry pi is very slow. I dare anyone to use a raspberry 2 b as a main computer for a week and not swear up and down. 3B might reduce swear/minute but won't solve the whole problem of under-powered computer for basic use. They are excellent systems otherwise.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

buja

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:05 pm

I think there is room for optimism: with 19 days left it's at 77%.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm

buja wrote:I think there is room for optimism: with 19 days left it's at 77%.
I'm happy for the project, but I don't like to see the rules being changed 'on the fly' to extend the project by 30 days.

mjsteelega

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Wow... am I the only one who thinks if this product ever gets produced that there will be a patent lawsuit from Apple? That enclosure appears to be molded from a MacBook Air.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:32 pm

mjsteelega wrote:Wow... am I the only one who thinks if this product ever gets produced that there will be a patent lawsuit from Apple? That enclosure appears to be molded from a MacBook Air.
No you're not. I'd had the same thought.

Koeshi

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:32 pm

mjsteelega wrote:Wow... am I the only one who thinks if this product ever gets produced that there will be a patent lawsuit from Apple? That enclosure appears to be molded from a MacBook Air.
As well as a MacBook it also looks like an Asus e403. I find that there are an awful lot of netbooks that look basically identical with different colouring and labelling, I know in some cases this will be down to white label products, but there is also a limit to how much variation you can put into a slim laptop of a certain size.

In regards to the earlier pricing discussion, I would rather have a Pi-Top as it suits my needs better, but I am not currently willing to chuck out an extra $100 dollars for the difference. Who knows maybe my mind will change before the campaign ends, but I currently doubt it.

darkbibble

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:04 pm

this nexdock is good because as tech changes you will only need to upgrade your sbc and not the whole laptop, and I adds great portability to be able to take these small computers everywhere.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

Return to “General discussion”