scotty101

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:42 am

The 'fun' of supporting NexDock continues
We'd like to give you a brief update on the status of the corrective action pertaining to the defective unit you have received.

As we can only extend to our backers the same warranty package that our ODM provides to us, all defective units must be shipped back to Hong Kong for warranty service. For this reason, we are offering the following options:

1.) We can ship to you a completely new and tested PCBA, which you can replace on your own or at a local computer shop of your choosing - both at your own risk. To help you with this process, we are working a video clip to provide instructions on how to replace a PCBA. With this option, we would cover the costs of the new PCBA and its shipment to your address. Once you replace (or get replaced) the PCBA, we would need you to ship your defective PCBA back to our office in California at your cost.

2.) You can ship the defective unit back to Hong Kong at your cost. After you provide the tracking number of the shipment, we can ship back to you a completely new NexDock without waiting for the defective unit to arrive to Hong Kong. With this option, we would cover the costs of the new NexDock and its shipment from Hong Kong to your address.

While neither of the above options represent an ideal solution, we simply don’t have funds to offer a better one at this moment.

Upon receipt of your email advising which option you prefer, we will proceed accordingly.
My options are.. receive some parts that probably won't fix the dock or have to pay a small fortune to send this one back (with the risk of having to pay import duty again). Anyone got any suggestions for other reasonable options that I could ask them for? Koeshi, have you heard anything about your replacement?

Last time I support an international crowdfunded campaign.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Koeshi

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Well they have told me that a replacement is on the way. They have also asked me to send them the PCBA from the damaged to somewhere in California, but it doesn't seem like I have to do it in order to get the new one. Currently debating what to do.

scotty101

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Interesting that you are being treated differently to me.

scotty101

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 am

Received a new PCB last night for the NexDock. After about 45 minutes of fiddling to make sure I did everything correctly. I thankfully got it working.

Doesn't make their QA process look good if devices can leave the factory with broken PCBs.

buja

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:48 am

This morning I took some time to try my Nexdock. After a few attempts (Nexdock on first, then connect the Pi within 3 seconds or so or the Nexdock will switch off) I got a yellow screen. Changing my angle of view I could see the Pi login screen. After connecting a keyboard and a mouse I could sort of work with the Pi.
By folding the screen up and down I can make the image on the screen disappear and reappear again, so I think there must be something wrong with the wiring. Charging the battery does not make any difference.
So I guess it's time to contact Nexdock.

Koeshi

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:09 pm

I really hope these guys learn from the mistakes they have made and produce a new, improved version, the idea is great and from the limited testing I have had the chance to do works really well when everything comes together correctly.

scotty101

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:16 pm

I'd have a few ideas for them!

It really needs a way to disable the touch pad when typing.
Power doesn't shut off when the HDMI signal is lost (Pi is shutdown)
Some QA before the units leave the factory would be good.

scotty101

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:52 am

I'll kindly tell them where they can dock their shoddy products.

Koeshi

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 pm

I really like the look of the new one and it solves some of the problems that I had with the original. Not sure that is enough for me to give them another chance. Hopefully there will be a way to purchase them after people have had a chance to review them and see whether it is worth another shot.

Return to “General discussion”