scotty101

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Would one of the other nexdock owners be able to test something for me?

If you press and hold the power button without any HDMI input, do any LEDs illuminate on the nexdock?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

mikerr

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:25 pm

scotty101 wrote:If you press and hold the power button without any HDMI input, do any LEDs illuminate on the nexdock?
Yes, press and hold power button for 2 secs, just the green power led comes on for about a second, then goes off.
It won't stay on unless you have something active on hdmi input

Made a quick chart of the internal connections:

Also just tested and found pi3 successfully boot from both the NexDock's right hand side USB and the NexDock's SD slot (using the new usb boot firmware - no sd in pi)
- that's very convenient and something I'll be making use of.
Last edited by mikerr on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

scotty101

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:36 pm

mikerr wrote: Also just tested and found pi3 successfully boot from both the NexDock's right hand side USB and the NexDock's SD slot (using the new usb boot firmware - no sd in pi)
- that's very convenient and something I'll be making use of.
Did you have to use a special cable to connect the USB socket on the nexdock to a USB socket on the Pi?

mikerr

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Just used a USB A-A cable, nothing special, although they aren't that common.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Aydan

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:10 pm

mikerr wrote:Just used a USB A-A cable, nothing special, although they aren't that common.
Just use a USB3 cable, I used the one from my USB HDD enclosure.

scotty101

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 pm

mikerr wrote:
scotty101 wrote:If you press and hold the power button without any HDMI input, do any LEDs illuminate on the nexdock?
Yes, press and hold power button for 2 secs, just the green power led comes on for about a second, then goes off.
It won't stay on unless you have something active on hdmi input
Thanks. You've confirmed that my NexDock is dead

scotty101

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:25 am

NexDock may have finally admitted that my unit is dead.
I will however have to wait until all of the units have been shipped before they will get in touch with me to organise repair/replacement :x

This is the service you get when you support crowdfunding campaigns..

[PS - if a mod is passing, can you change this topic's name to something more relevant, like "NexDock - New toy for Pi owners"]

Koeshi

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 pm

scotty101 wrote:NexDock may have finally admitted that my unit is dead.
I will however have to wait until all of the units have been shipped before they will get in touch with me to organise repair/replacement :x

[PS - if a mod is passing, can you change this topic's name to something more relevant, like "NexDock - New toy for Pi owners"]
Doesn't really make sense to retroactively change the name. Also why are you surprised about that? They made as many as was ordered. Naturally they are not going to be able to be sending out new ones yet as all the current ones are spoken for.

scotty101

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Koeshi wrote: Also why are you surprised about that? They made as many as was ordered. Naturally they are not going to be able to be sending out new ones yet as all the current ones are spoken for.
Doesn't prevent them from organizing the collection and repair of the unit I already have. If it can't be fixed then I'd accept that I'd have to wait in the queue for a new unit.

Koeshi

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:12 pm

scotty101 wrote:Doesn't prevent them from organizing the collection and repair of the unit I already have. If it can't be fixed then I'd accept that I'd have to wait in the queue for a new unit.
I imagine there will be little in the way of repairs being done and more just having fresh units delivered from China. After all there is international postage that they will be expected to cover followed by the labour, and then if it can't be fixed they will have to issue a new one anyway, so I expect they will just be skipping that stage.

Koeshi

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:15 am

So following on from what scotty101 said, I have had a response back from NexDock saying that they are trying to get the ODM to stump up the replacements for broken ones (which makes sense as they should not leave the factory broken). We shall have to wait and see how that goes.

scotty101

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:57 am

To top it all off, I've just received a Tax and Duty bill for the NexDock.

Aydan

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:03 pm

scotty101 wrote:To top it all off, I've just received a Tax and Duty bill for the NexDock.
That import tax was expected. What was unexpected was the 12.5€ Provision for Fedex.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:45 pm

scotty101 wrote:NexDock may have finally admitted that my unit is dead.

That's not always true, but it IS usually true when you're crowdfunding something that is ridiculously low-priced for what it is.
It also depends how much of a "long-term" outlook the suppliers have.

Considering how much there is in a Nexdock, the price is pretty amazing. The trouble is, to get that kind of price, it turns out that some corners sometimes get cut. One of them is potentially in QC (which is about the WORST place to cut corners). Another problem is that, with thin margins, your profit is gone if something goes wrong. If you're only flying "one mistake high" and you make a mistake, you crash and burn.

I'm still waiting for the other boot to drop in respect of the very striking similarity to the MacBook Pro in "look and feel". Knowing how litigious Apple can be, I'm surprised they haven't pounced on this.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Aydan

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:24 pm

alexeames wrote:I'm still waiting for the other boot to drop in respect of the very striking similarity to the MacBook Pro in "look and feel". Knowing how litigious Apple can be, I'm surprised they haven't pounced on this.
AFAIK they used a laptop shell the ODM was producing anyway and only modified the innards to keep the cost low. Maybe it is a shell that only gets used for the Asian market, but many thin notebooks nowadays look alike.

mikerr

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Aydan wrote:
alexeames wrote:I'm still waiting for the other boot to drop in respect of the very striking similarity to the MacBook Pro in "look and feel". Knowing how litigious Apple can be, I'm surprised they haven't pounced on this.
AFAIK they used a laptop shell the ODM was producing anyway and only modified the innards to keep the cost low. Maybe it is a shell that only gets used for the Asian market, but many thin notebooks nowadays look alike.
According to pimoroni its this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 95143.html

Not 100% getting the MacBookPro vibe myself (I have both) as its matt white, not silver / metal
less like a MBP than the Asus on the right for example:
NexDock, Macbook Pro, Asus Vivobook

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:00 am

mikerr wrote:Not 100% getting the MacBookPro vibe myself (I have both) as its matt white, not silver / metal
less like a MBP than the Asus on the right for example:
NexDock, Macbook Pro, Asus Vivobook
They look very similar to me, except for the colour. But I suppose they're not big enough to appeal to Apple's lawyers yet. (They went after other phone manufacturers for using "rounded rectangle" shaped phones.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Koeshi

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 pm

scotty101 wrote:To top it all off, I've just received a Tax and Duty bill for the NexDock.
Ah, so that was what that letter was about. Think I need to re-read it rather than discarding it. Is that something that has been billed or needs to be paid?

scotty101

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Koeshi wrote:
Ah, so that was what that letter was about. Think I need to re-read it rather than discarding it. Is that something that has been billed or needs to be paid?
It is something that you need to pay. You'll need to pay the import tax for your country AND the admin charge for FedEx which in my case is more than the tax. :evil:

Koeshi

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:18 pm

scotty101 wrote:It is something that you need to pay. You'll need to pay the import tax for your country AND the admin charge for FedEx which in my case is more than the tax. :evil:
Oh joy, more unplanned expenses, just what I wanted this month.

Dowz

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi all, I have just received a Nex dock but I am also having problems. I have no screen when connected to a Pi2 or also a Pi B. I've contacted Nex and been told to change screen size to 1366x768 but it hasn't worked. They now suggest that the Pi screen saver is coming on but I am hot swapping HDMI between the nex dock and a monitor and the monitor displays fine.
I have checked the nex dock works and it does when connected to a laptop.
Does anyone have a screen shot of their working config.txt showing what setting's they are using? I'm running the latest Jessie image.
Thanks

mikerr

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Make sure its connected to the hdmi before the pi boots up - otherwise the pi may default to composite

Or put this in config.txt to force HDMI on all the time:

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2

Dowz

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks Mike, I had previously tried this but have just worked through changing every HDMI parameter one at a time before rebooting and plugging into the dock, even forcing a screen size.
Put all settings back and swapped the SD card into a model B and the screen came on! I think the first time I tried the Pi B it was with another SD and didnt boot up!

So it works which is great and my Pi2 must be at fault which is a good excuse to buy a Pi3.

My only other niggle with the dock is the power button, have to unplug the charge cable to get it back on. Ready for winter lounge programming now instead of a cold study on my own. success!

buja

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 pm

After several failed attempts to deliver the NexDock at my home address and a phone call, FedEx delivered my NexDock to my work address, where I picked it up last Friday (the last few weeks I have been working abroad). I took it out of the box, saw it is awfully white and put it back in the box again. I will take another look in three weeks or so, after my holiday.
In the mean time I received and paid a bill from FedEx for the VAT (14,70 euro), but no handling charges (yet).

Koeshi

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Well I have now been informed that they will be sending me a replacement unit for the one with the damaged screen. I haven't been told anything about having to return the original one, but we will see if that happens. Either way cannot fault the service.

Return to “General discussion”