ghodan

Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:39 pm

This is a nice thing to play with:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nexd ... --2#/story
http://nexdock.com/cool-uses/#raspberry-pi

Would be awesome if we could mod a Pi Zero inside the casing somewhere.

buja

Re: Cool new "toy" for Pi owners

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 pm

A successor to the Lapdock, interesting :!:

Pithagoros

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:15 pm

It's considerably cheaper than this Pi Top. But not quite so well integrated.

http://pi-top.com/#/

ghodan

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Pithagoros wrote:It's considerably cheaper than this Pi Top. But not quite so well integrated.

http://pi-top.com/#/
Yes but it does not only work for the Pi but also for Ubuntu phones, Win10 phones.
You could hookup your Ps4 or XboxOne HDMI output to this thing and connecte the bluetooth keyboard do your console.

I also think the pricing of the Pitop is weird:
PiTop: 270 $
PiTopCeed: 100$
Difference? Only build in keyboard/mousepad.

PiTop guys should drop the PiTop price to the same price as the PiTopCeed: 100$ , that is a nice price.

buja

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm

I have backed this!
I would like to have some sort of Raspberry laptop and I agree with Ghodan that the Pi-top is too expensive.
This might leave some budget for the official 7" display as well ;)

timrowledge

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 pm

ghodan wrote: I also think the pricing of the Pitop is weird:

PiTop guys should drop the PiTop price to the same price as the PiTopCeed: 100$ , that is a nice price.
Whilst a generic keyboard may be very cheap, a custom one for production is likely a bit more expensive. And then there is the battery, charger/controller circuitry, the actual charger etc. It's not free...
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

buja

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:16 pm

timrowledge wrote:
ghodan wrote: I also think the pricing of the Pitop is weird:

Whilst a generic keyboard may be very cheap, a custom one for production is likely a bit more expensive. And then there is the battery, charger/controller circuitry, the actual charger etc. It's not free...
I think the most important factor is that the NexDock aims at a much bigger market than the Pi-top: not only the Pi, but also smartphones, USB stick PC's, etc.

mathboy4life

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:09 am

I can purchase a chromebook and install all of the OS listed, so why buy that?

buja

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:54 am

mathboy4life wrote:I can purchase a chromebook and install all of the OS listed, so why buy that?
Because I want a Pi laptop, a chromebook is useless to me.

By the way, the NexDock on Indiegogo is now $99, but that is excluding any VAT and shipping. NexDock aims at a final retail price of $149.

Pithagoros

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:16 am

I would really like to replace all intel personal computing with ARM Linux devices. Laptop, desktop, servers, all of it.

It looks like small steps are being taken in that direction.

ghodan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:13 am

Pithagoros wrote:I would really like to replace all intel personal computing with ARM Linux devices. Laptop, desktop, servers, all of it.

What is wrong with AMD cpu's? Currently I find my ARM cpu's lacking the raw power that Intel X86 cpu's have.
AMD Hardware + Linux OS = Happiness?

blaablaaguy

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Cool. Could just find a Motorola lapdock from ebay or something instead- someone allreadh stuck a pi zero in there. I dont think I'd ever want one tho since its white. I dont like white electronics.
This signature intentionally left blank.

buja

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:37 pm

ghodan wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:I would really like to replace all intel personal computing with ARM Linux devices. Laptop, desktop, servers, all of it.

What is wrong with AMD cpu's? Currently I find my ARM cpu's lacking the raw power that Intel X86 cpu's have.
Agree. I run Linux on a number of (old) PC's and laptops and I am quite happy with their performance. And it's not Intel or AMD I have problems with, I just don't like Windows very much.
The Raspberry Pi 2B cannot match the Intel/AMD performance, but it's not a problem: I like the Pi for its physical computing possibilities. Turning it into a laptop would make it easier to move things around when I want to.

The NexDock is really a modern laptop version of the dumb terminal, like the old VT330 terminal I have here (and that I should hook up to a PC or a Pi some day). I guess it won't be long before a high-performance Pi-like computer or compute stick will be available that you can just plug into a NexDock and work on comfortably.

ghodan

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:52 am

Intel Gen2 compusticks are on their way, there are verry powerful sticks in this new lineup.
But the high end ones going to cost more then 200 euro/dollar.
For 250 euro I can get a nice used Dell laptop with i7 cpu and 4gb ram onboard at a secondhand laptop reseller shops.

ghodan

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:14 am

How to build a Pi Zero inside a Motorola Lapdock:
http://www.h-i-r.net/2015/12/raspberry- ... k-100.html

Pithagoros

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:48 am

ghodan wrote:

I should have written "I would really like to replace all my x86/x64 personal computing with ARM Linux devices.

I want ARM, AMD don't do ARM.
As for raw power, the only stuff I do that needs more power is GUI display, for everything else the ARM is faster than I need it already. If the PI had an IO subsystem I would be there already.

Aydan

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:27 pm

I backed nexdock. :D
Even if it's only a HDMI screen and a BT keyboard/touchpad the price is OK.
Will do perfectly as a terminal for my future server rack.

Regards
Aydan

buja

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Aydan wrote:I backed nexdock. :D
Even if it's only a HDMI screen and a BT keyboard/touchpad the price is OK.
Will do perfectly as a terminal for my future server rack.

Regards
Aydan
OK :!: Current score is 23% with 23 days left.

ghodan

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Its also a powerbank.

So its a hdmi screen + bluetooth keyboard&touchpad + usb powerbank.

liudr

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 pm

I forgot Motorola had a dock like that if it weren't mentioned here. Interesting idea but I thought a more clear winner is to have a processor in the lapdock, i.e. a netbook, so nothing needs to be tethered to the dock if all you need is basic processing. Plus, most android and ios apps are extremely lame compared with even open source programs like openoffice so why running lame apps on a 14" screen when you can run openoffice on a netbook? Unless the screen is very good quality and keyboard is very good for typing, this gadget will not get much use.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

ghodan

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:16 pm

liudr wrote:I forgot Motorola had a dock like that if it weren't mentioned here. Interesting idea but I thought a more clear winner is to have a processor in the lapdock, i.e. a netbook, so nothing needs to be tethered to the dock if all you need is basic processing. Plus, most android and ios apps are extremely lame compared with even open source programs like openoffice so why running lame apps on a 14" screen when you can run openoffice on a netbook? Unless the screen is very good quality and keyboard is very good for typing, this gadget will not get much use.
The "processor" is in your pocket: smartphone.
Windows 10 phones will have desktop mode.
Ubuntu phones will have desktop mode.

liudr

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:22 pm

But those processors are so slow compared with entry level atom processors with 2GB RAM 32/64GB SSD. They don't run any full-featured programs like atom processors do either so what's the point of giving them arms and legs that they don't need?
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

ghodan

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:39 pm

liudr wrote:But those processors are so slow compared with entry level atom processors with 2GB RAM 32/64GB SSD. They don't run any full-featured programs like atom processors do either so what's the point of giving them arms and legs that they don't need?
They run your mentioned openoffice/libreoffice with ease.
They run webbrowsers. ( so web apps like google docs or the nice kiwirc)
They run email clients.
They run chat apps (nice on full hw keyboard instead of sucky touch keyboard.
Use cloudbased ide?
Use atom.io or sublimetext?
Run kali linux full or in the form of nethunter?
Ssh to stuff. Vnc to stuff?
Run docker client. Use docker containers?
Etc etc

They should not run progs like photoshop or a heavy vid edit prog. Neither should that be used with a atom cpu.

buja

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:42 am

liudr wrote:I forgot Motorola had a dock like that if it weren't mentioned here. Interesting idea but I thought a more clear winner is to have a processor in the lapdock, i.e. a netbook, so nothing needs to be tethered to the dock if all you need is basic processing. Plus, most android and ios apps are extremely lame compared with even open source programs like openoffice so why running lame apps on a 14" screen when you can run openoffice on a netbook? Unless the screen is very good quality and keyboard is very good for typing, this gadget will not get much use.
I see a lot of smartphones and tablets equipped with an extra keyboard. People don't need another netbook, just a better keyboard and/or a bigger screen. That's what the NexDock (and the Lapdock) is aiming for: better input and output for existing "processors". Which is exactly why I find it interesting for my Pi.

JRV

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:00 pm

ghodan wrote: Difference? Only build in keyboard/mousepad.
The big difference is the battery.

Return to “General discussion”