shadowofdarkness
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:11 am

What would I put in my config.txt so I can get default video output of 23.98 which for the tvservice command would need --ntsc

So far I can get it close but not right at 24hz but that still causes annoying mode changes using
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=32


A fully working tvservice command would be
tvservice --ntsc -e "CEA 32 HDMI"

beta-tester
Posts: 1247
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:55 pm

NTSC anf HDMI?! i thought NTSC is only an analog standard like PAL or SECAM.

i can not find any standard HDMI TV frequency in the config.txt description, that serves your frequency.
for what is it so important to you, to have the exact matching frequency of 23.89Hz ???
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (rev1, 256MB), B (rev2, 512MB), B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, ZeroW, RPi4, ...

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21040
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:02 pm

shadowofdarkness wrote:What would I put in my config.txt so I can get default video output of 23.98 which for the tvservice command would need --ntsc

So far I can get it close but not right at 24hz but that still causes annoying mode changes using
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=32


A fully working tvservice command would be
tvservice --ntsc -e "CEA 32 HDMI"
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

shadowofdarkness
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:53 pm

beta-tester wrote:NTSC anf HDMI?! i thought NTSC is only an analog standard like PAL or SECAM.

i can not find any standard HDMI TV frequency in the config.txt description, that serves your frequency.
for what is it so important to you, to have the exact matching frequency of 23.89Hz ???
I want this frequency because this Pi is a media centre and 97% of the media I watch is @23.98Hz so Kodi automatically changes the TV mode to match it. Which causes a annoying short blackout and then my TV to show a banner (which input I'm on, the frequency, and the time) on every mode change which is the start and end of video.

If I set that exactly I don't have that issue and it is a smooth transition for 97% of my media and just the 3%

I used to set it in Kodi settings but I'm using a testing version right now and it seems to have a bug where I can't change it in the UI. Plus even when it worked it seemed to be the first setting lost on any problem. I wanted to figure this out then but was to lazy and now I just got the extra initiative.

Also meant to mention I didn't find any info in the provided lnks

beta-tester
Posts: 1247
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:12 pm

shadowofdarkness wrote:I want this frequency because this Pi is a media centre and 97% of the media I watch is @23.98Hz so Kodi automatically changes the TV mode to match it. Which causes a annoying short blackout and then my TV to show a banner (which input I'm on, the frequency, and the time) on every mode change which is the start and end of video.

If I set that exactly I don't have that issue and it is a smooth transition for 97% of my media and just the 3%

I used to set it in Kodi settings but I'm using a testing version right now and it seems to have a bug where I can't change it in the UI. Plus even when it worked it seemed to be the first setting lost on any problem. I wanted to figure this out then but was to lazy and now I just got the extra initiative.

Also meant to mention I didn't find any info in the provided lnks
i use Kodi 15.2 under OpenELEC 6.0.1, and there Kodi has an option to do not adjust the frequency automatically. try that option would be easier i think.
System -> Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Adjust display refresh rate = Off
System -> Settings -> System -> Video output -> Resolution = DESKTOP (1920x1080); Refresh rate = 60Hz
for me, that works very well without any frequency changes for videos of 60Hz, 50Hz, 30Hz, 25Hz, 24Hz...
Last edited by beta-tester on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (rev1, 256MB), B (rev2, 512MB), B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, ZeroW, RPi4, ...

shadowofdarkness
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:15 pm

beta-tester wrote:
shadowofdarkness wrote:I want this frequency because this Pi is a media centre and 97% of the media I watch is @23.98Hz so Kodi automatically changes the TV mode to match it. Which causes a annoying short blackout and then my TV to show a banner (which input I'm on, the frequency, and the time) on every mode change which is the start and end of video.

If I set that exactly I don't have that issue and it is a smooth transition for 97% of my media and just the 3%

I used to set it in Kodi settings but I'm using a testing version right now and it seems to have a bug where I can't change it in the UI. Plus even when it worked it seemed to be the first setting lost on any problem. I wanted to figure this out then but was to lazy and now I just got the extra initiative.

Also meant to mention I didn't find any info in the provided lnks
i use Kodi under OpenELEC, and there Kodi has an option to do not adjust the frequency automatically. try that option would be easier i think.
System -> Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Adjust display refresh rate = Off
System -> Settings -> System -> Video output -> Resolution DESKTOP (1920x1080); Refresh rate = 60Hz
that works for me very well without any frequency changes for videos of 60Hz, 50Hz, 30Hz, 25Hz, 24Hz...
I actually want it to adjust. I do find it has smoother video and my 3D content even requires being at 23.98Hz

beta-tester
Posts: 1247
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:23 pm

shadowofdarkness wrote:I actually want it to adjust. I do find it has smoother video and my 3D content even requires being at 23.98Hz
and if you setup to 24Hz fix...
how is the performance then?

it is only 0.0834% off, compared to 23.98Hz...
or each 50 seconds one frame skipped (or is it each 50 s one frame shown twice?).
or you 90 minutes movie is shown in 83 minutes...
similar things happen in germany when 24Hz content is shown on 25Hz or in the opposit. not a big deal.

anyhow, i can't help you then. :?
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (rev1, 256MB), B (rev2, 512MB), B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, ZeroW, RPi4, ...

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6089
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:53 am

I'm somewhat confused ...
First off, isn't NTSC frame-rate 30/1.001, so ~29.97 - nothing like 23.98?

And 24 v 23.98 changes a 90 minute film to 89 mins 55 secs unless my calculator's wrong.

If we're talking about film versus TV, then it's 24 fps versus 25 in Pinewood, or (almost) 30 in Holywood.
Here, I believe, the difference was ignored, and the running time was padded with an extra advert.
Over there, the difference was such that, there being 5 TV frames for every 4 film frames, they had a bigger problem
There being twice as many TV fields as frames, they showed some film frames as odd field followed by even, some as even followed by odd, and some as three fields, so a judder 12 times a second.

beta-tester
Posts: 1247
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: config.txt entry for NTSC frequency HDMI

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Burngate wrote:I'm somewhat confused ...
And 24 v 23.98 changes a 90 minute film to 89 mins 55 secs unless my calculator's wrong.
yeah, oopsy... i am a noob in math... :oops:
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (rev1, 256MB), B (rev2, 512MB), B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, ZeroW, RPi4, ...

Return to “General discussion”