BruceJohnJennerLawso

Re: New Open GL Driver, Bug report thread

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 pm

C-Fu wrote:Device: Raspberry Pi 2
Monitor: 1366 x 768
Problem: rainbow screen (like during boot) from start towards finish loading the desktop, but goes away if I move the mouse, and comes back after no mouse movement.

Problem goes away if
- I disable the AA GL driver and reboot
- I use a 1080p monitor
Can confirm same issue on multiple monitors. The rainbow screen disappears when moving the mouse, but ignores mouse movement while the mouse focus is inside of an application.

A temporary fix for the problem is described here:

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... dmi-output

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:20 pm

A question regarding the new Driver, is there any way to get it working with a custom kernel (specifically the one from adafruit)?

I find that glxgears reverts to its previous flickering behaviour after I install the adafruit raspberrypi-bootloader for a project Im working on.

Code: Select all

curl -SLs https://apt.adafruit.com/add-pin | sudo bash
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-bootloader
I can reenable the OpenGL driver in raspi-config after installing the new kernel (no failure warnings when I enable and reboot), but it doesnt seem to work anymore. What exactly does enabling the option in raspi-config do? (Is it executing some shell command that I could modify?)

r3d4

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 pm

BruceJohnJennerLawso wrote:What exactly does enabling the option in raspi-config do? (Is it executing some shell command that I could modify?)
It appears it is executing some shell !
I guess you should look at the set_gldriver() && do_gldriver() function's hear : https://github.com/RPi-Distro/raspi-con ... nfig#L1037 .

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

BruceJohnJennerLawso wrote: A temporary fix for the problem is described here:

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... dmi-output
If that is your problem, then you need to fix your power supply. The under-voltage warning from GPU is interfering with ARM side GPU driver.
Get a sufficient power supply and that will stop occurring.

Micha1982

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:51 am

Can someone say when it possibly will be possible to use other resolutions?
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

chene

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:57 pm

hi all,

I have an RPi3 but could not get the OpenGL driver to work at all, either with the official 7" touchscreen or with an external monitor. I seek your help.

First of, I understand from (https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/) that the 7" touchscreen is not supported by the new driver; I would appreciate if a solution can be found and posted here.

Second, after disconnecting RPi3 from the touch screen, and with only a keyboard and an external monitor attached (Asus 24" VN248H-P), whenever I enable the OpenGL driver, upon reboot, I get a "rainbow" square, followed by no video signal to the monitor. I seek your help.

The steps I took:

1) I am using the official PSU (2.5A)
2) I tried multiple HDMI cables,
3) on a Samsung 32GB Evo+ sdcard, I
- installed the Jessie image (2016-03-18)
- on 1st boot, expanded the file system, reboot
- issued the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install raspi-gpio
sudo apt-get install xcompmgr libgl1-mesa-dri

- at one time, updated the firmware as well (but no change in result)
sudo rpi-update
4) use the commandline version of raspi-config, enabled the OpenGL driver,
5) rebooted

but the result is always the same, I get a rainbow-square at boot, followed by no video signal to monitor.

Things I've tried,

1) different HDMI cables,
2) various hdmi modes in /boot/config.sys
3) custom resolution in /boot/cmdline.txt

If anyone is having any success with OpenGL on Raspberry Pi 3, please share how you manage it.

thanks,

smidoid

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:47 am

On the plus side, I've got the driver (cough) working (cough) on my PI3 both in Mate and KDE on a Raspbain Lite base.

Both cases the display comes in what I assume is true colour because KDE looks baaaaad when due to the effects and the background screen isn't dithered in either.

Mate 1.8 is my system of choice as it feels the more professional but neither compositor seems able to manage. I'm using lightDM on Mate and KDE's own on KDE.

In both cases, the system is barely able to get but a few moments of actual drawing operations (Windows and menus opening etc.) before it falls flat on its face. I ran a KDE via a remote shell for a while and I noticed some kernel errors popping up but I didn't pay them enough heed.

I'm happy to help with this as it's the only thing really spoiling Mate (I expect KDE and even XFE too) on the PI as the software composting is stealing time for other jobs.

This is a very exciting time for super-micro computing though. It's like being back in the days of th Sinclair Mk. 14 which I almost had but could never quite afford.

acrox999

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:42 am

smidoid wrote:On the plus side, I've got the driver (cough) working (cough) on my PI3 both in Mate and KDE on a Raspbain Lite base.

Both cases the display comes in what I assume is true colour because KDE looks baaaaad when due to the effects and the background screen isn't dithered in either.

Mate 1.8 is my system of choice as it feels the more professional but neither compositor seems able to manage. I'm using lightDM on Mate and KDE's own on KDE.

In both cases, the system is barely able to get but a few moments of actual drawing operations (Windows and menus opening etc.) before it falls flat on its face. I ran a KDE via a remote shell for a while and I noticed some kernel errors popping up but I didn't pay them enough heed.

I'm happy to help with this as it's the only thing really spoiling Mate (I expect KDE and even XFE too) on the PI as the software composting is stealing time for other jobs.

This is a very exciting time for super-micro computing though. It's like being back in the days of th Sinclair Mk. 14 which I almost had but could never quite afford.
On Arch Linux ARM running the latest mainline kernel I was able to run LXQt with compton on my Pi 3 just nice. Fading animation is smooth, transparency also works fine. Desktop is still very usable. It's like running on an old C2D laptop.

jamesh

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 am

acrox999 wrote:
smidoid wrote:On the plus side, I've got the driver (cough) working (cough) on my PI3 both in Mate and KDE on a Raspbain Lite base.

On Arch Linux ARM running the latest mainline kernel I was able to run LXQt with compton on my Pi 3 just nice. Fading animation is smooth, transparency also works fine. Desktop is still very usable. It's like running on an old C2D laptop.
Nice job. I tried to get LXQt running and failed abysmally. Might be worth documenting how you did it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

acrox999

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
acrox999 wrote:

Nice job. I tried to get LXQt running and failed abysmally. Might be worth documenting how you did it.
I don't want to go off-topic but I'll clear this here anyway:
Nothing, actually. It's already there in the repo of Arch Linux ARM (ALARM), ready to be installed. Since I did not see any of the LXQt's PKGBUILDs in ALARM's GitHub, so there's probably no modifications to make it work on the Pi. You can still view the PKGBUILD and see if there's any patches or dependencies that you might've missed.

But putting it back on topic, the new driver if I'm not mistaken was implemented in the kernel itself, but only a portion of it is broken. I got 150FPS+ too on glxgears (100+ with compton enabled). So maybe that's something to look at.

smidoid

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:43 pm

Perhaps a silly question, but how do we know when there is a new version to kick the tyres on? I'm happy to try because it's really bumming my experience with software rendering under Raspbian Mate. I hope this is still sufficiently OnT but if not, can someone point me in the right direction?

DirkS

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:31 pm

smidoid wrote:Perhaps a silly question, but how do we know when there is a new version to kick the tyres on? I'm happy to try because it's really bumming my experience with software rendering under Raspbian Mate. I hope this is still sufficiently OnT but if not, can someone point me in the right direction?
Keep an eye on the linux and firmware repos at https://github.com/raspberrypi
See e.g. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/1419
There's also the RPF Dev twitter feed: https://twitter.com/RPF_Dev_Updates

smidoid

Thu May 05, 2016 11:23 pm

Twitter is about my limit unless there is an announcement. I don't get anywhere near as much time as I would like on my PI. :cry:

leiptrstormr

Sun May 29, 2016 6:33 pm

I can't find this issue doing a forum search so I figured I would put it out there. I'm experiencing problems with the mouse cursor pausing while dragging it around on screen. This only happens with the OpenGL driver enabled. I'm using a 5V 2.4A adapter with my Raspberry Pi 2 so I don't think it's a power issue. Its an extremely minor, but it bothers me so much that I must disable it for the time being. I don't know where to file a bug report or if this even qualifies as bug.

pingpong2012

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:11 am

The latest driver had a sort-of regression for me: Before the resolution would be wrong on a 1024x768 monitor, but the monitor would continue working (it was 1024x768, but the screen buffer was messed up). After an update, the monitor now detects an invalid signal even though it's showing the same mis-shaped buffer, and turns itself into standby in 30 or 60 seconds.

One of the biggest bugs I've seen for the driver is something related to the z-depth. A lot of stuff works, which surprises me, but in every application, stuff after a certain distance has serious z-issues. A good suite to look through is the irrlicht demos. Most of them work, but when you start getting into larger geometry, the graphics just aren't drawn or are popping in and out of existence or are z-fighting. The same is true when running Sauerbraten. In Tux Racer, some graphics are missing I think, and the program will just lock up for multiple seconds, but it will update icon-sized squares of the screen sometimes. Then it usually returns, and the program was running for 10-20 seconds as told by the timer.

MasterBuilder121

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:06 am

Whenever I enable OpenGL on my Raspberry Pi 2, it shows a pink/purple bar on the left side of my screen and doesn't boot. This is with an HDMI display attached.
Nope, I refuse to use those "signatures" that everybody... oh.

jakky567

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:45 am

I'm having issues booting with the open gl driver enabled. It will sometimes boot completely other times it will just display no video output on my pi 3.

cjan

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:34 am

how about update mesa?
jessie: 10.3.2
raspbian: 11.1.0
last: 11.1.4 (11.2.2)

found some updates by Eric Anholt
vc4: Warn instead of abort()ing on exec ioctl failures.
vc4: Keep sample mask writes from being reordered after TLB writes
vc4: Don't record the seqno of a failed job submit.
vc4: Throttle outstanding rendering after submission.
vc4: Fix subimage accesses to LT textures.
vc4: Add support for rendering to cube map surfaces.
vc4: Fix tests for format supported with nr_samples == 1.
vc4: Make sure we recompile when sample_mask changes.

drich

Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Any news about OpenGL support on official 7" display ?

Kordon

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:09 am

Hi,

I'm a new Raspberry user, and have a RPi3B model, which i try to run. I'm running Gentoo, and try using the new vc4 driver. I have successfully installed Mesa 12.0.1, and to use the new driver, i put in /boot/config.txt :

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
With this, i can run Wayland with Weston compositor. However, Weston is quite slow, screen is black at boot until the login prompt, and framebuffer is much slower than without the new driver. Is this a bug or i fail to configure correctly ?

3EGaming

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:03 pm

When I tried to enable the GL driver, it said:
Driver and kernel not present on your system. Please update

How do I fix it?

owen_soo

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 pm

I have got the gl driver to work on a Pi2 running Raspbian Jessie.
I use a VGA monitor and HDMI to VGA adapter but the screen is off center and the particular monitor displays a warning
saying that I need to fix the computers resolution. I tried to force the HDMI group and HDMI mode to the right resolution
but it didn't do a thing(other then messing up the screen when I turned the driver off). Full post >viewtopic.php?p=1043244#p1043244

alexs2412

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:24 pm

I am Using the Pi3 with Raspbian jessie and im getting a strange side effect with the new driver. depending on what my ram is set to, i have a small black bar on the top or bottom of my screen. does anyone know how to fix it?

ufa

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Installed the GL driver to play oolite. It runs fine, but if I move some screen (oolite or lxterminal) i get a frozen pi (even ssh does not work, so it is a complete freeze)

Pi3 with up-to-date Pixel OS

dramabeats

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:09 am

Has there been a fix for the Open GL driver not allowing the device to run headless?

Return to “General discussion”