step1041

Using VNC to connect to RPi, shows LXDE instead of XFCE4

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:27 am

When I VNC from my Mac to the Raspberry Pi running Raspian with both LXDE and XFCE4 installed it will only show me the LXDE environment instead of the XFCE4 screen that I am using. Is there anyway of changing this? I am using the Thight VNC Server on the RPi and Chicken of the VNC client on the Mac.

linuxgx

Re: Using VNC to connect to RPi, shows LXDE instead of XFCE4

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:54 am

VNC should be logging into your active session. Also OSX has a built in VNC viewer that is much better than chicken. Just click run in finder and then connect to server.

Type in - VNC://RPIs_IP_ADRESS

lewmur

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39 pm

linuxgx wrote:VNC should be logging into your active session. Also OSX has a built in VNC viewer that is much better than chicken. Just click run in finder and then connect to server.

Type in - VNC://RPIs_IP_ADRESS
Nope. TightVNC starts its own session. It will bring up LXDE even if you haven't started an xserver session. I haven't checked the tightVNC's config file but there might be a way to change it there.

step1041

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah I noticed that if a LXDE isn't started it will by default open one for you. If I have an XFCE4 session started, it will still open a LXDE session beside it. I also tried using the built in VNC application in Mac OS X and it doesn't seem to be working. I wonder if it is something that was taken out of Mountain Lion.

Return to “General discussion”