NotAllama

Best High Capacity Battery?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:59 pm

First post, be nice please :P

I'm looking for a high capacity battery to power the pi, but don't have the chops to hack my own laptop battery power thing together. I've used a mobile phone USB battery charger which worked perfectly, but it was only 5,000mah which is too small.

I was looking at a ravpower that's 26,000mah which is a great size, but it auto-detects current draw to turn on, and doesn't have an on button, so I don't know whether it'll detect the pi and automatically supply power (I strongly suspect it won't).

SO, does anyone have experience with high capacity batteries (15,000mah+), which ones work?

Aydan

Re: Best High Capacity Battery?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Does it need to be (easily) portable? If not you can use a lead acid (e.g. this) battery with a 12V to 5V DCDC converter.
It will help us to help you if you describe what you want to do with the setup.

Regards
Aydan

jahboater

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:50 pm

I have a ravpower 16,000mah that works fine with a Pi2.
Edit: that was a modestly overclocked 1GHz pi2, I just tried the ravpower with a standard Pi Zero (with a USB ethernet adapter)and its booted fine.
Edit2: that was the 2,4A socket, I have now tried the 2.1A "smart" usb socket and that works OK too.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

NotAllama

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:34 am

Aydan wrote:Does it need to be (easily) portable? If not you can use a lead acid (e.g. this) battery with a 12V to 5V DCDC converter.
It will help us to help you if you describe what you want to do with the setup.

Regards
Aydan
Hey Aydan, I want to make a little portable computer with a touchscreen, so something that I can carry around. Any of the mobile phone chargers (even the big 20,000+mah ones) are probably small/big enough. One of the problem I have is that I don't know whether you can turn the pi on or off with the chargers that don't have on buttons. I've also seen people complain on the internet that you can only get a few charges out of some of the batteries before they die, so I'm looking for personal recommendations :D

NotAllama

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:36 am

jahboater wrote:I have a ravpower 16,000mah that works fine with a Pi2.
Edit: that was a modestly overclocked 1GHz pi2, I just tried the ravpower with a standard Pi Zero (with a USB ethernet adapter)and its booted fine.
Edit2: that was the 2,4A socket, I have now tried the 2.1A "smart" usb socket and that works OK too.
This might sound like a weird question, but does it have a power button that signals for it to start dishing out juice, or does it start whenever any USB device is plugged in?

jahboater

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:56 am

This might sound like a weird question, but does it have a power button that signals for it to start dishing out juice, or does it start whenever any USB device is plugged in?
The answer is both! Just plug the Pi in and it powers up. But there is a button on top as well.
- Greta Thunberg

NotAllama

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:57 am

jahboater wrote:
The answer is both! Just plug the Pi in and it powers up. But there is a button on top as well.
When you turn off the pi with a system shutdown, can you just press the button to start it up again? Or do you need to unplug it and plug it back in?

jahboater

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 am

When you turn off the pi with a system shutdown, can you just press the button to start it up again? Or do you need to unplug it and plug it back in?
You need to unplug and plug it back in.
I tried "sudo poweroff" as well as "sudo halt" and both sockets on the battery.
Running Jessie, so its systemd's idea of poweroff whatever that is.
Pressing the button turns on all the battery lights for a few seconds, but nothing else. (Pressing twice gets an led torch).
- Greta Thunberg

NotAllama

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 am

jahboater wrote:
You need to unplug and plug it back in.
I tried "sudo poweroff" as well as "sudo halt" and both sockets on the battery.
Running Jessie, so its systemd's idea of poweroff whatever that is.
Pressing the button turns on all the battery lights for a few seconds, but nothing else. (Pressing twice gets an led torch).

That's really good to know, thanks for your help! I appreciate it :D

Return to “General discussion”