mammyori

Re: Complete novice - blind leading blind

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi I\'ve got a 9 y/o daughter who I mentioned the R-Pi to & she seemed really exicted at the idea of being able to program. Now I am quite techie (work in sofware support) but my programming experience began and ended with basic on my ZX Spectrum when I was a kid. Am I being unrealistic about the prospect of us learning together - and what would be a really easy programming language to start with?

TIA Mammyori

kme

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:27 pm

No, that shouldn\'t be any problem. On the contrary you will support and push each other. And it really helps you are old enough to have the patience to read some docs and will learn yourself when explaining to your daughter. There is no better way to learn than to teach.

R-Pi will come with Python and that\'s as good a start as anything. Look forward to many enjoyable hours with your daughter.

Asmodeus

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:30 pm

... and zx spectrum emulators like FUSE could work. (bonus)
http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:46 pm

You will be fine Mammyori. Both of you together is a really great way to go about learning it.

aeiah

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

python would be good not only because it\'s fairly elegant, but because it\'s nicely integrated into the linux ecosystem. it\'s no trouble at all to tell python to open an image in an image viewer, or for it to read/write to files etc. you could create things like a photo slideshow for the tv or a program that chooses who should make the tea fairly early on, and have the scope to do far more complex things on the rasppi, other linux OSs, or windows, mac etc.

Bacan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:42 pm

I will offer the following:

Keep a log / journal / blog of what you do and your experience in learning with your daughter.
Have her keep the same from her point of view.

At some point start sharing with the public. Maybe just with your fellow school parents as a way to start.

I expect many R-Pi parents will follow what you do and share also.

It could be a really new and wonderful career, if you care to make it so.
( It will take a few years in the making, I believe you will have something amazing, both between you and your daughter, and what happens in the R-Pi community.)

Keep in touch. Ever need a spot of help, ask. The forum will be here.

mammyori

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:16 pm

OMG thank you so much, everyone - this is such a supportive community. I\'m now really looking forward to my journey into programming with my daughter! I found a book on amazon that is well recommended, \"Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner\" by Mike Dawson. I think it\'ll be good to share with Jess as it teaches by creating little games - which is seriously going to appeal to a 9 y/o! Has anyone come across this book?

:) Mammyori

Return to “General discussion”