MaxiWaxi

Compiling on the Pi

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:47 am

Hi good folks,

so here's the deal. I'm trying to install the Minecraft Overviewer (https://overviewer.org/) on my 2 B - which is running Raspbian installed from noobz - and since the precompiled packages they provide are 32bit and 64bit and the architecture on the pi isn't either of those(to my best knowledge) I wanted to compile it from source. But already at step one I encountered a problem, there were no make candidate, and since this is not the overviewer forum, my question isn't how to make it compile, but rather if it's worth figuring out how to make compile. You see I'm using my Pi to host a website with the rendered map on it and kinda wanted the overviewer to run on the pi so I wouldn't have to render the map on another comp and transfer it to the Pi, but not know it its actually a good idea, because the rendering of the map takes a bit of resources on my primary comp, so maybe it would just make the Pi really really slow when it rendered and mess with the website?

Also another little question. Does the Raspbian allow compiling out of the box or should I install additional packages?

Thanks
Maxi

fruitoftheloom

Re: Compiling on the Pi

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 am

MaxiWaxi wrote:Hi good folks,

so here's the deal. I'm trying to install the Minecraft Overviewer (https://overviewer.org/) on my 2 B - which is running Raspbian installed from noobz - and since the precompiled packages they provide are 32bit and 64bit and the architecture on the pi isn't either of those(to my best knowledge) I wanted to compile it from source. But already at step one I encountered a problem, there were no make candidate, and since this is not the overviewer forum, my question isn't how to make it compile, but rather if it's worth figuring out how to make compile. You see I'm using my Pi to host a website with the rendered map on it and kinda wanted the overviewer to run on the pi so I wouldn't have to render the map on another comp and transfer it to the Pi, but not know it its actually a good idea, because the rendering of the map takes a bit of resources on my primary comp, so maybe it would just make the Pi really really slow when it rendered and mess with the website?

Also another little question. Does the Raspbian allow compiling out of the box or should I install additional packages?

Thanks
Maxi
Seems like it was compiled for Intel x86-32 & x86-64, the RPi has an ARM-32 CPU :?
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

MaxiWaxi

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:01 am

Seems like it was compiled for Intel x86-32 & x86-64, the RPi has an ARM-32 CPU :?
Excactly, that's why I don't want/can't use the precompiled packages and want to compile it myself.

B.Goode

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:02 am

MaxiWaxi wrote:Does the Raspbian allow compiling out of the box or should I install additional packages?
That rather depends on which language's source code you wish to compile!

For C and C+, the gcc compiler is pre-installed and ready to go.

Depending on the project, you may find that you need to install libraryxxx-dev packages in order to use the facilities provided by any given libraryxxx.

jahboater

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:05 am

Yes, it comes with support included for the common languages and others are easily installed.
The Pi is 32-bit by the way.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:06 am

clone from the git then see if there is a makefile
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:07 am

MaxiWaxi wrote:
Excactly, that's why I don't want/can't use the precompiled packages and want to compile it myself.
Yes but the Developers may not of built the software as multi-arch :?

Ask the Developers :?:
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

Return to “General discussion”