Whereismyisland

Connecting IPad and LAN

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi guys

My first post here and a total Linux/Raspberry Noob.
Here is my idea, no idea if it is possible, would be nice however.
I am tired of always dragging my aging laptop along on overseas travel and thought of using the ipad/Raspberry combination. I would like to use the ipad to control the raspberry via wifi and connect to the internet using the Raspberry's LAN connection.
I thought of setting up a fixed IP address to use for the IPad/wifi access and use whatever IP address the hotel's LAN assigns the raspberry.
I hope you know what I mean and would appreciate any help.

ghans

Re: Connecting IPad and LAN

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:11 am

I would install Avahi on your Pi and hope the hotel
network doesn't mess with it.

You should then be able to

Code: Select all

ssh raspberrypi.local
or VNC without mucking around with IP Addresses. Change your
hostname to something more unique though. I am also
skeptical whether your Pi can realistically replace your laptop.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Higgs

Re: Connecting IPad and LAN

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:59 pm

Curious what the RPi would provide that the iPad wouldn't - you should be able to just ask the hotel for password access to their wireless. If they only have a wired connection, then a small wireless AP (like $20) will give you a wifi hotspot in your room while plugged into their ethernet jack.
As for work applications, cloud apps through the iPad browser would work unless what you do is very intensive.
Of course, you should always be concerned about security - but you are using their network regardless, unless you have a mobile hotspot device.
If you need storage, there are wireless hard drives for sale that the iPad can use.

Return to “General discussion”