danielhickman

Sense Hat and Official Case Not Fitting

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:11 pm

The Pi 2 Model B doesn't fit into the official case with the sense hat. The top of the case bends over the pins. Do you guys have this problem? Suggestions on exchanging or replacing either of the parts?

Sense hat pushed to the bottom of the pin set.

The Pi fitting by itself.

The noticeable bend and opening with the hat.

zeth

Re: Sense Hat and Official Case Not Fitting

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:37 pm

You did better than me, I couldn't even get the red bit on at all, I don't the official case can fit the official sense hat.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:52 am

Didn't somebody work out a 3D printed Astro Pi case?

alphanumeric

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:11 am

I used a dremel to remove some plastic from the underside so the cover with the window in it would close completely. I just used a small sanding drum and shaved a little off at a time. I also cut one of the plastic nubs that go through the Pi's mounting holes down flush. On the side opposite the GPIO header. I took two standoffs and cut the threaded parts off. Then attached them with screws to the sense hat on the side opposite the GPIO header, to hold that side up. The standoffs just rest on the PI without being bolted to it. It holds the sense hat up so I can use the joystick and not have it sink into the case when I press on it with my nubby fingers..

danielhickman

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:00 am

alphanumeric wrote:I used a dremel to remove some plastic from the underside so the cover with the window in it would close completely. I just used a small sanding drum and shaved a little off at a time. I also cut one of the plastic nubs that go through the Pi's mounting holes down flush. On the side opposite the GPIO header. I took two standoffs and cut the threaded parts off. Then attached them with screws to the sense hat on the side opposite the GPIO header, to hold that side up. The standoffs just rest on the PI without being bolted to it. It holds the sense hat up so I can use the joystick and not have it sink into the case when I press on it with my nubby fingers..
I was gonna figure something out like this but I was scared to do it. I'm glad you posted this. This will be very helpful.

darkbibble

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:57 pm

if you look at the official foundation blog you can get the files needed to print the astro pi case, which is designed specifically for the sense hat and pi.

hopefully shops will stock them soon
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

alphanumeric

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:26 pm

danielhickman wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:I used a dremel to remove some plastic from the underside so the cover with the window in it would close completely. I just used a small sanding drum and shaved a little off at a time. I also cut one of the plastic nubs that go through the Pi's mounting holes down flush. On the side opposite the GPIO header. I took two standoffs and cut the threaded parts off. Then attached them with screws to the sense hat on the side opposite the GPIO header, to hold that side up. The standoffs just rest on the PI without being bolted to it. It holds the sense hat up so I can use the joystick and not have it sink into the case when I press on it with my nubby fingers..
I was gonna figure something out like this but I was scared to do it. I'm glad you posted this. This will be very helpful.
If your careful and take your time it's not even noticeable with the cover on. I found using the dremel a lot easier than trying to do it with a file. Plus I already had the dremel.

It would be nice if somebody made an injection molder version of the official Astro Pi case. I'd buy one in the blink of an eye.

One big issue for me, with the Pi foundation case, is the lack of ventilation. Forget about measuring ambient air temps with that case. Especially if you have a Pi3 in there blocked off by the sense hat. It's going to get very hot.

zeth

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:16 pm

alphanumeric wrote: It would be nice if somebody made an injection molder version of the official Astro Pi case. I'd buy one in the blink of an eye.
If they ever get that PiJuice board out, it would be quite cool if the PiJuice and Sense HAT don't happen to want the same GPIO pins.

Astro Pi is quite roomy, would make a quite cool portable solution, with joystick for input and LED grid for display.

alphanumeric

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:23 pm

My Astro Pi weather clock is caseless at the moment. I added a proto board with a stacking header between my Pi and the sense hat. It puts more space between the two and blocks most of the radiant heat, heat transfer from the CPU. I'm actively looking for a case solution. Just haven't found anything yet.

darkbibble

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:34 pm

alphanumeric wrote:My Astro Pi weather clock is caseless at the moment. I added a proto board with a stacking header between my Pi and the sense hat. It puts more space between the two and blocks most of the radiant heat, heat transfer from the CPU. I'm actively looking for a case solution. Just haven't found anything yet.
if you have access to a 3d printer, you can take the astro pi case files and add extra height to make it fit your setup
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

jojopi

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:21 pm

zeth wrote:You did better than me, I couldn't even get the red bit on at all, I don't the official case can fit the official sense hat.
alphanumeric wrote:I used a dremel to remove some plastic from the underside so the cover with the window in it would close completely.
Out of interest, were those with a Pi2 or Pi3 official case?

The pictures in the original post show a Pi2 case nearly fitting without modification. My Pi3 case does not anywhere near fit with a Sense Hat in place. The problem is not the inside height, but the fact that the red lid now has female catches at the west edge that foul the HAT's horizontal footprint.
darkbibble wrote:if you look at the official foundation blog you can get the files needed to print the astro pi case, which is designed specifically for the sense hat and pi.
As far as I can tell, the Sense Hat meets the official HAT mechanical specifications, so it should fit any case that allows HATs?

zeth

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 am

jojopi wrote:Out of interest, were those with a Pi2 or Pi3 official case?
The pictures in the original post show a Pi2 case nearly fitting without modification. My Pi3 case does not anywhere near fit with a Sense Hat in place. The problem is not the inside height, but the fact that the red lid now has female catches at the west edge that foul the HAT's horizontal footprint.
I have the Pi3 case too, like you the sense hat didn't fit in the slightest, wasn't really keen to push it as the Sense HAT is not the cheapest HAT I have. (So I reorganised my HATs and Pis, putting the Sense HAT on my Pi A+, it looks quite cute being a square).

zeth

Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:56 am

Ha, just ran back across this early post from 13th May 2015:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-se ... y-curious/

Note how the case is missing the top red piece :lol:

So maybe that is how it is designed to be?

wibble

Tue May 31, 2016 11:17 am

The whole point of the case lid is that it should allow HATs to be accommodated.

The Sense HAT has 4 stand-offs. The bottom of the case has 4 locating pins for the Pi PCB - that means you have to leave out the bottom screws from the stand-offs (or remove the locating pins?)
Anyway, the locating pins furthest away from the SD card don't fit in the stand-offs, so the whole assembly sits too high at that end.
Finally, the HAT PCB intrudes into the space required for the lid to clip onto the base at the SD card end.

I like the official case, but I now have 2 Pi3 boards with HATs that don't fit in it!
I'd quite like a good copy of the Astro-Pi case, as that showcases the HAT best.

alphanumeric

Tue May 31, 2016 2:03 pm

For some reason I didn't get any notifications of new posts to this thread? My case was one of the originals made for the Pi 2 and it was Pi 2B that I had in it. I have one of the new Pi 3 cases and a Pi 3B but haven't mated the two together. I only have the one 3B and its a bit of work to remove it from its current case. My sense hat is currently mounted to an A+ with a proto hat sandwiched in the middle. At some point it will get a custom case.

The problem with the sense hat and the official case is the sense hat has a SMT low profile female GPIO header on the top side. That's what hits the underside of the case cover. If it was just the soldered pin ends it would fit no problem.

wibble

Tue May 31, 2016 2:06 pm

wibble wrote:The whole point of the case lid is that it should allow HATs to be accommodated.
Just tried the HAT on a 2B board in the earlier official case, and that fits fine. (OK, so access to the joystick is not too good, but that's just being picky!)

alphanumeric

Tue May 31, 2016 2:11 pm

wibble wrote:The whole point of the case lid is that it should allow HATs to be accommodated.

The Sense HAT has 4 stand-offs. The bottom of the case has 4 locating pins for the Pi PCB - that means you have to leave out the bottom screws from the stand-offs (or remove the locating pins?)
Anyway, the locating pins furthest away from the SD card don't fit in the stand-offs, so the whole assembly sits too high at that end.
Finally, the HAT PCB intrudes into the space required for the lid to clip onto the base at the SD card end.

I like the official case, but I now have 2 Pi3 boards with HATs that don't fit in it!
I'd quite like a good copy of the Astro-Pi case, as that showcases the HAT best.
Yeah, I just trimmed the plastic mounting pins so the standoffs sit flush. I just cut the threaded studs off so I could use the screws to attach the standoffs to the sense hat. I only used two anyway. On the side away from the GPIO header. Mounting holes in the bottom would be better than those plastic nubs.

mshock

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:51 am

In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0h-cHxsZ2E) SenseHAT is used with RPi2 and the official case...

CJJ 7909

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 pm

You can maybe buy a pre fitted one online maybe

Return to “General discussion”