cnxsoft

Re: Order limit?

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 am

[quote]Quote from Jessie on November 16, 2011, 01:03
My bet is 48 hours. 10k isn\'t many devices.[/quote]

I guess 12 hours or less, if the ordering system can handle it.

Asmodeus

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 am

[quote]Quote from abishur on November 15, 2011, 22:06
(And one per address seems like the best way to keep to keep us honest :P )[/quote]

I have two addresses, but I will order only one. I guess it takes only 12 minutes to sell out first batch.

Burngate

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:37 am

Hmm ... only one per address to start with. And they\'ll sell so fast I won\'t be able to reach the \"buy\" button before they\'re gone.
I\'ll need at least two to start with.
Tell you what. I volunteer to wait for the second batch. That\'ll probably be the next day. Then I can order two at the same time and save on postage.
You\'re sitting on a plane coming in to land. \"Please remain seated until the plane has stopped moving\". So everyone gets up and starts crowding round the doors. Except me.

liamfraser280

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:58 am

I\'ll be ordering one to start with. Have the raspberry Pi rss feed on my phone, getting excited every time my phone rings. Then I can sprint to a computer and buy mine.

skynet

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 pm

mmmhh, I\'ll have to postpone the install of my zillion network nodes... :(

abishur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:43 pm

[quote]Quote from didit7 on November 16, 2011, 00:42
@kme : or RPi will get angry letters from those kids parents because they kept on bugging them to help them configures RPi :) .. in all seriousness .. kids that bother sending email to RPi is probably more serious about RPi than half the adult in this forum. $25 or $35 is their weekly/monthly/annual allowance, if you think about it.[/quote]

Actually, they\'ve already told they ordered a tiny batch (10, I think was the number?) to test it out before sending it out (and they\'ve already said \"No these units aren\'t for sell :P ). So by the time it gets into our hands, we\'ll actually have a very well test product :D

That said, I do think it\'s still a good thing to get it into geek hands so we can test out the extended functionality of the device (see \"How will you use the r-pi\" thread) and really nail down what the device can and can\'t do for teachers who\'d want to use it as part of a curriculum :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

joukio

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:18 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on November 15, 2011, 23:40
Tamping down demand through limiting how many devices people could buy at once seems to us to be a fairer way of doing things, and is what we\'re planning on *at the moment*.[/quote]

hi Liz,

could you elaborate a bit more on this matter? Is it just one per address or one per creditcard? What would be the parameter where you limit on?

What if I would be ordering for more then one person (35 or so :S)?

Could you put up a small news posting on raspberrypi.org and/or raspberrypi.com so it\'s not only documented in the forum?

regards

Jouk

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Order quantity Limitation will only be in place for the first rush. Once everyone\'s got one and things calm down, which by definition shouldn\'t take long, it\'s a *rush* ^^ the limitation will be lifted.
So unless you\'re really pressed for time, I wouldn\'t worry about it too much. Unlimited orders will be allowed after, at most, a handful of weeks.

TheLaw

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Looking at the number of views on this thread, I am worried about the online shop being able to cope. Why not use ebay?

Sylvain

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:37 pm

[quote]Quote from obarthelemy on November 23, 2011, 12:32
Order quantity Limitation will only be in place for the first rush. Once everyone\'s got one and things calm down, which by definition shouldn\'t take long, it\'s a *rush* ^^ the limitation will be lifted.
So unless you\'re really pressed for time, I wouldn\'t worry about it too much. Unlimited orders will be allowed after, at most, a handful of weeks.[/quote]

Hi,

Are you really sure of that ?

For me, the first batch will sell in a handful of hours (if the online shop handle this). See what have become to the stickers ... There are allready around 4000 registered people in the forum and I think the number of visitors on the website is a lot bigger (I have been just a reader for weeks before I register today).

Seeing the number of people that plans professional/commercial use of the Rpi, added to all the enthusiasts, added to the first target of the Rpi (school children), if the Rpi doesn\'t desapoint, it will sale like hot cakes and the shortage could go on for quite a long period.

Even if the Rpi, is a bit comparable to existing products (arduino, plug computers ...), its price (and its \"price-possibility\" ratio) let it enter in a brand new market with -I think- a lot more potantial buyers...

Sylvain.

PS : Sorry for my english.

Bacan

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Are you aware of how much of a slice/fee eBay takes for the use of their services?

Would you be willing to pay extra for using an eBay service?

An eBay service fee would need to be added on top of the current costs, so that the foundation is able to maintain their revenue per R-Pi unit? [insert bad pie pun here]

Raspberry Pi Foundation is a not-for-profit. They still must earn revenues greater than all the costs incurred in order to exist beyond an initial one time flash in the pan. I do not believe Liz & Eben will be having P&S (packing and shipping) Parties at their place like some start-ups. From what I\'ve learned in messages and talking with them directly, they have their acts together.

Disclaimer: I\'m just me, not a foundation member or part of the R-Pi forum operations; I\'m only a forum user and someday a R-Pi owner.

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:32 pm

@Sylvain: Salut ! (on va parler anglais)
I\'ve had that discussion with Liz, and she\'s adamant than any backlog can\'t possibly last more than a very few weeks. Don\'t forget supply is not constrained, all parts are standard and even wild Pi sales won\'t be more than a drop in the bucket for the suppliers. Manufacturing is pretty much the same, and fulfillment is subcontracted (unlike for the stickers ^^).

meltwater

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:02 pm

That\'s good to know.

We are all so very keen to get them, but obviously it\'ll take time for production to ramp up to ensure they aren\'t making 1000s of paper weights (I suppose that\'ll be the manufacturers issue as long as the design is good - which obviously it is!). As it is, the speed at which they say they will ramp up is very impressive. Its clear that they have to balance the risks etc of that, while I am sure they will get as many as they can out the door when it is possible.

Hopefully we won\'t have to wait too long, and it\'ll be amazing to see how many they can get out and how many of the devices get into the wild, and what the demand actually turns out to be.

Of course once they are out, I hope the dev community can produce some software tailored for beginners so everyone can get the most from them. I think that would help its success with mainstream consumers.

...again, I\'m just another forum member.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

chacham

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 pm

I\'m glad i saw this. I was planning on buying a few for myself, and then for friends. Probably a total of 10. The idea would be to save on shipping to the US.

But, even with one per person, will there be a way to combine shipping? I mean we can each give a separate credit card, with different names, but to the same address.

Or maybe, we can pre-order for the second batch? That way, you\'ll know how much to order.

Skygod

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:54 pm

From what i\'ve read over the past few weeks, there should not be any issue on supply. Every company on the supply chain is able to supply components almost instantly and as long as board fabrication can do the same, then it will not be a 10,000 units and wait for the next batch, but a continual process.

I hope that the first 10,000 sell as fast as the stickers, but I also hope that the next batch will not incur delays.

Let\'s not forget the foundation is not just a bunch of enthusiasts, but professionals that have access to the workings of logistics.

Maybe they have have been surpised by the interest, but I\'m sure that they are factoring this in to their business model. (It\'s still a business; just a not for profit business)

When the RPi is announced as \'available\', I\'ll order one and then \'play with it\'.

I\'ve reconfigured my whole system in readiness. I\'m now running Fedora 16 as a host OS, with Win7 as a \'guest;. I\'ve also got QEMU running so that I also have an ARM VM

I\'ve now got a very steep learning curve to understand how to use a new OS. Do I keep apps in the VM such as mail or do I use the Boot OS? Should I simply run a LAMP server on the host or continue with an XAMPP server in the guest?

I\'ve got the ARM QEMU VM installed (haven\'t get host networking working yet ) and will see what I can get running on 256Mb.

Wooloomooloo

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:27 am

My bet is on the \"within 24 hours\" too. I WAS going to buy one of both models and another for a friend (to cut shipping costs), but I guess that will have to wait - just a \"model B\" for now... :)

chris evans

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Sending orders out singly isn\'t very efficient for customers or the foundation, I\'ll probably wait for the second batch so I can get two together.
n.b. Apart from availability I doubt there will be many takers for Model As!
http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/rpi/

Metz

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 am

As my interest is in neworking/clustering these little fellas, I\'ll be looking for two initially, but probably 5 after the rush has been and gone.

willlim

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:10 am

I intend buy , if possible in the first batch, 1 of each model

Virtureal

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:24 pm

[quote]Quote from chacham on November 23, 2011, 15:07
I\'m glad i saw this. I was planning on buying a few for myself, and then for friends. Probably a total of 10. The idea would be to save on shipping to the US.

But, even with one per person, will there be a way to combine shipping? I mean we can each give a separate credit card, with different names, but to the same address.

Or maybe, we can pre-order for the second batch? That way, you\'ll know how much to order.[/quote]

I am in the same situation but with shipping to Denmark, any word on this Liz, should I just buy one for myself and wait for the next batch when ordering the larger quantities for my friends and me?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:25 pm

I think you guys will probably be better off waiting until the order restriction is lifted, I\'m afraid. Sorry; I know that\'s not the reply you were hoping for!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

aatti

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:13 am

Hi all,

I must agree with Liz - 1/person should be fine for the beginning as few of us are likely ordering the board to hand it over as gift for technically skilled kids who really appreciate such a small "toy" to play with...

I'd also buy 2 to have one for myself, but I'd rather wait for the 2nd batch and make those happy who would use it for learning and experiencing new things without the fear that dad's PC crashed by mistake

lukegarratt

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 am

1 per person makes perfect sense - you want to spread the initial batch as far and wide as possible to a) facilitate word of mouth exposure b) ensure the maximum possible number of minds working on ideas for the boards.

Having said that, I would buy 4 if I could!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:42 am

1 slice of Pi is enough for anyone, asking for more is greedy.

And Oliver!

I'm watching you......  
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

parkour86

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 pm

My idea for releasing the first batch is to release model A first. Then a week or two later release model B to people who didn't order model A.

Return to “General discussion”