timorley
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:46 pm

I've noticed that the A+ is listed as "no longer stocked" at Farnell (http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... p/2447906#) and "Available until stock is exhausted" at cpc (http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/ras ... dp/SC13576) and RS have no stock.

Is the A+ being discontinued?

Tim

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10415
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:02 pm

probably not
however as the real 1st birthday is in 1 month maybe we'll see A2+ instead


[edit]
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8332699/
is on back order
my bet is there is a huge hole in the BCM2835 chain as Pi0's now take up all of them
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:57 pm

RaTTuS wrote:probably not
however as the real 1st birthday is in 1 month maybe we'll see A2+ instead
That would certainly be welcome as would a CM2, or even a 512MB 1GHz A+.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35813
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:06 pm

Hmmm, also showing as out-of-stock at RS. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8332699/

We can't speculate on a 2A until it's announced and available.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:31 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Hmmm, also showing as out-of-stock at RS. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8332699/

We can't speculate on a 2A until it's announced and available.
Actually...pretty much all we can do until such a beastie is released is speculate.

Eben did say, around the time that the Pi2B was released, that there would--probably, eventually--be a Pi2A, but it would have to wait on prices to come down to the point that the price point could be kept. As for my speculation about a 512MB, 1GHz A+, it think that since *all* BCM2835s are now spec'd to run at 1GHz and it's possible to sell the Pi0 at $5 a $20 A+ should certainly be *possible*. The only thing I can see that would hold it back would be supplies of 2835s, which (one would expect) are being gobbled up making Pi0s. The Pi0 may also be why the current A+ are in short supply, since they're competing for the same SoC and production lines. This could affect the B+ as well, but the Pi2B has probably made major inroads into the demand for the B+.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23385
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:31 pm

RaTTuS wrote:probably not
however as the real 1st birthday is in 1 month maybe we'll see A2+ instead


[edit]
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8332699/
is on back order
my bet is there is a huge hole in the BCM2835 chain as Pi0's now take up all of them
Indeed. Zero is so popular compared with the A+, I would certainly be prioritizing the Zero. Shame about the profit margin!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:54 pm

In the US...

MCM "on backorder"
Newark "special order only"
Allied "0 can ship immediately"

In some secondary suppliers...
Adafruit "in stock"
Central Computer: in store inventory shows 1 in one store, none in any other stores.
MicroCenter: checked 3 stores and each said "not carried at <store loclation>"

So...yes. It looks like Model A+ Pi supply has pretty much dried up. Implications are a parts shortage (all available 2835s going to Pi0s), a clearing of inventory in preparation for replacement product (improved A+ or a Pi2A) or some combination of both. Place your bets...

eupton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:10 pm

We've suffered a bit of a success disaster with A+. It's been a steady but unspectacular seller (low hundreds of thousands) since launch, but at the tail end of last year suddenly both vendors got hit with multiple big orders (I believe from digital signage customers). I've just come back from dinner with one of the vendors: one of the topics was getting A+ back in stock. I'd expect us to build some in March for April availability.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:41 pm

eupton wrote:We've suffered a bit of a success disaster with A+. It's been a steady but unspectacular seller (low hundreds of thousands) since launch, but at the tail end of last year suddenly both vendors got hit with multiple big orders (I believe from digital signage customers). I've just come back from dinner with one of the vendors: one of the topics was getting A+ back in stock. I'd expect us to build some in March for April availability.
Thanks a bunch for that insight into both what happened and the good news that the A+ is doing well. I get a certain amount of mileage out of relating Eben's comment that the Model A was a "failure" because it "only" sold 100,000. Most SBC companies would be ecstatic with a "failure" like that.

Netstar
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:44 pm

It seams to me, that with no old supplies of A+, now it is a perfect time to introduce A2. Foundation could make a new model with no engineering work. Upgrade the A+ to 1GHz processor and 512MB of ram. Essentially a Pi Zero, with all the normal connectors. If I remember correctly the 1GHz processor is 40% faster than the old one, with no noticeable power draw increase.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23385
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Netstar wrote:It seams to me, that with no old supplies of A+, now it is a perfect time to introduce A2. Foundation could make a new model with no engineering work. Upgrade the A+ to 1GHz processor and 512MB of ram. Essentially a Pi Zero, with all the normal connectors. If I remember correctly the 1GHz processor is 40% faster than the old one, with no noticeable power draw increase.
Going to 1Ghz is actually just a SW change - the SoC is exactly the same. Going to 1GB, not so much!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:15 pm

jamesh wrote:
Netstar wrote:It seams to me, that with no old supplies of A+, now it is a perfect time to introduce A2. Foundation could make a new model with no engineering work. Upgrade the A+ to 1GHz processor and 512MB of ram. Essentially a Pi Zero, with all the normal connectors. If I remember correctly the 1GHz processor is 40% faster than the old one, with no noticeable power draw increase.
Going to 1Ghz is actually just a SW change - the SoC is exactly the same. Going to 1GB, not so much!
Yes...there is no way there is going to be a 1GB A+ for reasons that have been explained many times. The 1GHz...the issue there would be: are *all* the older A+ SoCs out there capable of running at 1GHz? If so, then, sure, just change the software to do it. If not, the software would need to know which A+ boards can run at 1GHz and which can't be relied on to do so and that strikes me as calling for an internal model number change going forward (though such a modification could have been done starting a few months ago and just needs software support).

Pi2A...contrary to Netstar...that would take engineering work. Mayne not a *lot* of engineering work, but some. I wouldn't be surprised if that work has long since been done, since the eventual production of a Pi2A has been obvious for nearly a year to everyone.

Citing Eben's talk at the San Mateo Maker Faire last year (release early and often), either an improved (512MB, 1GHz) A+ or a Pi2A would be an appropriate "anniversary" announcement for the upcoming 4th/1st anniversary of the original launch.

fanoush
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:13 pm

jamesh wrote:
Netstar wrote:It seams to me, that with no old supplies of A+, now it is a perfect time to introduce A2. Foundation could make a new model with no engineering work. Upgrade the A+ to 1GHz processor and 512MB of ram. Essentially a Pi Zero, with all the normal connectors. If I remember correctly the 1GHz processor is 40% faster than the old one, with no noticeable power draw increase.
Going to 1Ghz is actually just a SW change - the SoC is exactly the same. Going to 1GB, not so much!
?

The post you quoted talks about 512MB, not 1GB.

BTW I wonder how much the A+ is "success disaster" as eben says due to "high" price or due to 256MB ram. Personally I am avoiding it due to 256MB RAM but it may be the price too. Pi Zero is of course perfect in this regard, anything that runs on B+ runs on Zero too! And the size - no soldered gpio header finally - another reason for a+ low sales maybe? I hate the header due to size and fear breaking it by heat when soldering it off. What about giving a+ second life by adding 512MB, removing pin header and possibly lowering the price a tiny bit?

mikerr
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:38 pm

An A2 would need a fresh board design (ok just a chopped Pi-B2) and I doubt that's a priority with it being the lowest selling current model.
- how long before the zero outsells combined A/A+ sales - not long !

Given even the "take everything off to save cost" Pi Zero has 512MB,
it can't be long before the A+ has 512MB, no change to PCB required there

( the 256MB might have been to differentiate it more from the B+, not just cost)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Raspberry Paul
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:11 pm

I was building a recent project that required 5 Pi's attached to cameras. After much searching and comparing the best prices there was something like £1 between the A+ and B+. Given it was easier to troubleshoot with a B+ I just went with them.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen sales stats beyond the initial 100k of the A's.

Given the Zero and B+ I'd say there is no longer a strong need for an A+.

I have about 20 Pi's now in use, of which 7 are A or A+. A zero is sitting in it's bag.
http://www.raspberrypaul.co.uk

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10415
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:19 pm

I'll taker the Pi0 off you
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Raspberry Paul wrote: I have about 20 Pi's now in use, of which 7 are A or A+. A zero is sitting in it's bag.
I'd take a Model A off your hands. I'd even buy your choice of B+ or Pi2B to replace it.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:32 pm

mikerr wrote: ( the 256MB might have been to differentiate it more from the B+, not just cost)
I don't think so... Bear in mind that, as originally announced, the B had 256MB (and I have some of those...all the way back to having USB polyfuses) and the Model A was supposed to have 128MB. That never happened. By the time the A got launched, the B had 512MB.

mattmiller
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:02 pm

I'd take a Model A off your hands. I'd even buy your choice of B+ or Pi2B to replace it.
Scrabbles around in box looking for old Model A!!!!!

User avatar
alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2848
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi A+ availability

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:21 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
mikerr wrote: ( the 256MB might have been to differentiate it more from the B+, not just cost)
I don't think so... Bear in mind that, as originally announced, the B had 256MB (and I have some of those...all the way back to having USB polyfuses) and the Model A was supposed to have 128MB. That never happened. By the time the A got launched, the B had 512MB.
The 256 Mb model A was announced on Pi launch day, but the news was eclipsed by the feeding frenzy. I can remember a frustrated tweet or comment by Liz that nobody had mentioned it.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi A+ availability

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 am

alexeames wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: I don't think so... Bear in mind that, as originally announced, the B had 256MB (and I have some of those...all the way back to having USB polyfuses) and the Model A was supposed to have 128MB. That never happened. By the time the A got launched, the B had 512MB.
The 256 Mb model A was announced on Pi launch day, but the news was eclipsed by the feeding frenzy. I can remember a frustrated tweet or comment by Liz that nobody had mentioned it.
That would explain why I didn't recall seeing that announcement...I make almost no use of twitter, only resorting to reading it (I don't have an account, so I *never* post anything to twitter) when all other news sources fail, and then usually only for clues as to why the site I really want to read is down and when it will likely be back up.

skspurling
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: US. Right in the middle...

Re: Pi A+ availability

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:35 am

I like the A+. I would like to buy a couple more for some planned projets. Would have already ordered some, except the production parteners charge so much for shipping and handeling. $9 to ship a $20 board smaller than a deck of cards is crazy. I have a hard time getting in the right frame of mind to pull the trigger on that kind of an order.

The zero can't replace the A+ due to the camera connector. The Pi 2 and B+ pull more power and will drain batteries quicker. Still, people are nuts. They will buy the Pi 2 and say it's not that much more in order to get the quad core processor. Then they will put it in an application running a single threaded python script with a camera and a wifi dongle powered by a battery. Might use GPIO, but that's not a big issue. Never mind the fact that the A+ could do all of this as good as a pi 2, you could get a lot longer runtime from the same battery pack. People see quad core and loose their minds. Poor litte A+. It's a good little board. Thank you for bringing it to us Eben.

mattmiller
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:26 am

Agreed
A+ is excellent VFM for a single project - its much easier/quicker to develop on a 2B but if you don't need wired ethernet - then using an A+ for the working project makes a lot of sense - especially for small robots

But if an A2+ came out for $20 .... :)

mung
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Pi A+ availability

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:48 pm

mikerr wrote:An A2 would need a fresh board design (ok just a chopped Pi-B2) and I doubt that's a priority with it being the lowest selling current model.
- how long before the zero outsells combined A/A+ sales - not long !

Given even the "take everything off to save cost" Pi Zero has 512MB,
it can't be long before the A+ has 512MB, no change to PCB required there

( the 256MB might have been to differentiate it more from the B+, not just cost)
I am guessing a A2 will not happen until POP memory is sorted for the 2836 SOC?

I bet with enough engineer hours the A2 could be similar size to the zero and still keep a CSI and DSI port for camera/display though probably need components both sides of the board so price would be quite a bit higher than the zero.

rpi foundation have some crazy ideas about EOL products (I think they said no EOL if there are components available and people still want them???)

I think the zero is also crazy pricing that makes the rest of the pi pricing skewed in price/value, the should have sold the zero at $6 max one per order and allowed bulk pre purchase bidding so they could schedule purchasing better.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3439
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Pi A+ availability

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:05 pm

mung wrote: I am guessing a A2 will not happen until POP memory is sorted for the 2836 SOC?
I can't see any reason why that would be the case. The A+ sized board has plenty of space to accomodate a 2836 on the front and ram on the back.

The impression I got was that 2A and CM2 were being held up by supply issues of 2836 SoCs due to high demand for the 2B. CM2 is probablly higher margin than 2A so I expect we will see that first.

Return to “General discussion”