karlkiste

Re: Zeros Now Available

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:43 am

RaTTuS wrote:both RS and Farnell manufacture RPi's [A+ B+ B2] on license
A bit off topic... But I thought it was "Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd." who has the hardware manufactured?
RaTTuS wrote:{RS/element14} they will compete with each other... they both have different models and costs in the final distribution chain
That's what I think, too.

RaTTuS

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:47 am

karlkiste wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:both RS and Farnell manufacture RPi's [A+ B+ B2] on license
A bit off topic... But I thought it was "Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd." who has the hardware manufactured? ....
Raspberry Trading make the PI0
the rest are made by Rs , Farnell and egoman [China]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Massi

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:11 am

may i know what's the weight of a pi0 dispatched from pihut or pimoroni?
is it a letter or a small parcel?
i'd like to know why it is impossible for them to dispatch using international tracked (and eventually signed) dispatching to the "third world" (half of europe, more or less)
Because UK postal services offer this kind of service.

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:19 am

Massi wrote:may i know what's the weight of a pi0 dispatched from pihut or pimoroni?
i'd like to know why it is impossible for them to dispatch using international tracked (and eventually signed) dispatching to the "third world" (half of europe, more or less)
Royal Mail letters vs small parcels are not done by weight these days, they are done simply by size.
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help- ... ht-formats

The Zero weight is nine grammes according to Mike Err viewtopic.php?p=850301#p850301
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Massi

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:26 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Massi wrote:may i know what's the weight of a pi0 dispatched from pihut or pimoroni?
Royal Mail letters vs small parcels are not done by weight these days, they are done simply by size.

The Zero weight is nine grammes according to Mike Err viewtopic.php?p=850301#p850301
i don't think a zero can fit a 0.5cm letter, am i wrong?

with this
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/intern ... -confirmed
a 20g letter would be 6 pounds to europe, tracked.

karlkiste

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 am

Massi wrote: i don't think a zero can fit a 0.5cm letter, am i wrong?
You're right. The Zero is described as being 0.5cm thick. It would fit if you stuck the stamp on the Zero without any packaging... But I doubt you would have much fun with it when it arrives ;-)

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:37 am

karlkiste wrote:
Massi wrote: i don't think a zero can fit a 0.5cm letter, am i wrong?
You're right. The Zero is described as being 0.5cm thick. It would fit if you stuck the stamp on the Zero without any packaging... But I doubt you would have much fun with it when it arrives ;-)
The thickest part of a Zero is the SDCard slot. The thing that's going to make your letter into a small parcel is the anti-static bag and the padded packaging (so it doesn't get crushed by Royal Mail).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gregeric

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:03 am

DougieLawson wrote:The thickest part of a Zero is the SDCard slot. The thing that's going to make your letter into a small parcel is the anti-static bag and the padded packaging (so it doesn't get crushed by Royal Mail).
That's true after you have desoldered the mini HDMI, both micro-USBs & the 1210 footprint cap near J1. The mini HDMI alone is 5mm deep inc pins.

blaablaaguy

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Someone needs to make a Pi Zero detector with a raspberry pi that refreshes the Pimonori page every now and again then when it detects the change of the "Out of Stock" to "In Stock" itll sound an alarm. Id make one... If i knew how.
This signature intentionally left blank.

mung

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:19 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:Someone needs to make a Pi Zero detector with a raspberry pi that refreshes the Pimonori page every now and again then when it detects the change of the "Out of Stock" to "In Stock" itll sound an alarm. Id make one... If i knew how.
How does anyone know how to do anything??

I think if you really wanted to make this 'Pi Zero detector' you would go ahead and do it by starting with a google search?

I will offer a little limited help, I don't really know anything about this subject so take it with a pinch of salt.

[*]First google for the term 'web scraping' and read the wikipedia page.

[*]Next decide what language you are going to use (If you don't know a language then pick python and google for some beginners guides)

[*]Write your program

The process should take about 4 or 5 hours for someone with a little programming knowledge, probably a lot longer if you have no computing knowledge.

I think I have heard that there is a library called 'beautifulsoup' that simplifiys web scraping with python try search for that.

Otherwise something as simple as a cron job running a script with wget and grep to find the relevant markup '<div>' maybe easier?

Also it maybe better to use a library if there are more complex protocols involved like if authentication or cookies are used on a site, I seem to remember that mozilla released a project that created a fully scriptable virtual web browser that allowed scripting of things such as mouseovers and flash interactions, I forget what it was called (I'm sure 20 minutes on google would give you the answer).

Go forth and create :lol:

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:42 pm

DougieLawson wrote:

My guess is that it would be possible to get a zero with reasonable packaging into the "large letter" category (which is between "letter" and "small parcel").

C-Nyle

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Well, now all this discussion has gotten me curious. I truly don't know the answer because my local bookseller was sold out of Mag Pis by the time I could get there, but how much was the thickness of each Mag Pi increased by attaching an Pi Zero?
How much padding was there around these Zeros and if the answer is 'not much', how many were damaged before reaching the end user? :?:

Regards, C

blaablaaguy

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:21 pm

mung wrote:
blaablaaguy wrote:Someone needs to make a Pi Zero detector with a raspberry pi that refreshes the Pimonori page every now and again then when it detects the change of the "Out of Stock" to "In Stock" itll sound an alarm. Id make one... If i knew how.
How does anyone know how to do anything??

I think if you really wanted to make this 'Pi Zero detector' you would go ahead and do it by starting with a google search?

I will offer a little limited help, I don't really know anything about this subject so take it with a pinch of salt.

[*]First google for the term 'web scraping' and read the wikipedia page.

[*]Next decide what language you are going to use (If you don't know a language then pick python and google for some beginners guides)

[*]Write your program

The process should take about 4 or 5 hours for someone with a little programming knowledge, probably a lot longer if you have no computing knowledge.

I think I have heard that there is a library called 'beautifulsoup' that simplifiys web scraping with python try search for that.

Otherwise something as simple as a cron job running a script with wget and grep to find the relevant markup '<div>' maybe easier?

Also it maybe better to use a library if there are more complex protocols involved like if authentication or cookies are used on a site, I seem to remember that mozilla released a project that created a fully scriptable virtual web browser that allowed scripting of things such as mouseovers and flash interactions, I forget what it was called (I'm sure 20 minutes on google would give you the answer).

Go forth and create :lol:
Well... I wasnt actually planning on actually making it, it was just an idea, but why not? I suppose it cant be impossible...
This signature intentionally left blank.

RaTTuS

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:25 pm

mung wrote:....
[*]Write your program
you can make it order it for you also if you do it right - remember 1 only or it will get cancelled ;-p
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Pithagoros

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:44 pm

C-Nyle wrote:Well, now all this discussion has gotten me curious. I truly don't know the answer because my local bookseller was sold out of Mag Pis by the time I could get there, but how much was the thickness of each Mag Pi increased by attaching an Pi Zero?
How much padding was there around these Zeros and if the answer is 'not much', how many were damaged before reaching the end user? :?:

Regards, C
The MagPi Zeros in the newsvendors were in a blister pack with a cardboard backing. I will be getting hold of one of these tomorrow so I could measure it then. The blister pack was quite stiff, but it would be quite easy to crush it.
I think I read that some of the subscription ones were just in an anti-static bag.

karrika

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
C-Nyle wrote:Well, now all this discussion has gotten me curious. I truly don't know the answer because my local bookseller was sold out of Mag Pis by the time I could get there, but how much was the thickness of each Mag Pi increased by attaching an Pi Zero?

Regards, C
The MagPi Zeros in the newsvendors were in a blister pack with a cardboard backing. I will be getting hold of one of these tomorrow so I could measure it then. The blister pack was quite stiff, but it would be quite easy to crush it.
I think I read that some of the subscription ones were just in an anti-static bag.
The PiZero was 7mm thick. The magazine is 5mm.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:12 pm

You noted in your previous post the problem of people claiming that the receiving signature wasn't theirs, so that doesn't solve the problem.

karlkiste

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:25 pm

43.6 grams from pimoroni
Massi wrote:is it a letter or a small parcel?
small packet by air mail

Greets,
Kiste

skspurling

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Somehow make it only run on the pi zero!
be like those plastic package openers that come in a plastic package...

TheGuyUk

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Pi stalker

Someone who spends their time fixated on Pis

weissjd

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 pm

I wrote a bash script that sends me a text (via email) when Zeros become available at my local Microcenter.

Code: Select all

NOTCARRIED=1

while [ $NOTCARRIED -eq 1 ]
do
	if wget -qO- --post-data "storeID=121" http://www.microcenter.com/product/457746/Zero_Development_Board | grep -q 'in stock'
	then
		let NOTCARRIED=0
	else
		echo 'nope'
		sleep 1800
	fi
done

sendEmail -f "[email protected]" -t "[email protected]" -u "PiZero in Cambridge!" -m "!" -o tls=no -s "mail.myisp.com":587 -xu "myusername" -xp "mypassword"
For Microcenter you have to do an http POST with the store ID in order to get the store you want. For other sites you can most likely change it to an http GET and remove the --post-data. I use the very handy sendEmail program to send the e-mail to AT&T's email to SMS gateway so I get a text when it finds the string "in stock" on the page. Details here: https://jeffskinnerbox.wordpress.com/20 ... pberry-pi/

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:57 pm

The Royal mail is indeed excellent. I've used them to handle a couple of thousand small packages in the last 12 months. What isn't quite so excellent is the reliability of some of the corresponding (pun intended) services in certain other countries. For example Spain is notorious for missing packages. International tracked and signed is possible, but it is expensive and is not available to all destinations. Also it's a 'bloody nuisance' to do because of the extra paperwork/stickers etc. It takes minutes to sort out. If your company's profit on an item relies on it being handled within a minute or less, this kind of shipping is not economically viable.

It is not impossible, but they have decided (not because of Pi Zero - but throughout their businesses) not to offer these shipping options. That's their commercial decision.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “General discussion”