chfakht

How to connect and use ssh without a screen using BUILDROOT

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 pm

i want to build a minimal system for raspberry pi (B+) to improve the performance of my face detection algorithm ...
I have found BuildRoot ... for the configuration i found that it's not necessary to do the configuration myself and instead i have used the provided one :

Code: Select all

make raspberrypi_defconfig
    make
Now i don't have a HDMI Cable to connect the pi ... when connecting it to mu laptop the red led is on and the green led start flashing : that mean that the pi is reading the sd card corectly
It's the first time i'm using buildroot , and i don't know how to enable ssh for the pi or how to display the pi adress.
because in the solution they provided
To enable ssh at startup, backup boot.rc on the boot partition on the
SD image and replace it with boot_enable_ssh.rc
Well i don't have a file called boot.rc

I am able to access the sd card using ubuntu 14.04 , running ls from boot folder show this:

bootcode.bin cmdline.txt config.txt fixup.dat start.elf zImage

i have also tried to use a static ip by adding 10.42.0.5 to cmdline.txt but after that i can't connect to the pi with this adress.
So i have two issue :

1. How to connect to the pi adress when using buildroot

2. How to set up and connect to the pi using ssh using buildroot.

Heater

Re: How to connect and use ssh without a screen using BUILDR

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:22 pm

How do you expect changing to a build_root system will speed up your face detection algorithm?

I would not expect any useful gains in performance there.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

chfakht

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:36 am

it will be of course some gain in term of cpu and ram usage !!!

stderr

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:48 am

chfakht wrote:it will be of course some gain in term of cpu and ram usage !!!
Until you accidentally apt-get yourself back to the bloat you were trying to avoid.

Heater

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:25 am

chfakht,
it will be of course some gain in term of cpu and ram usage !!!
That does not answer my question.

My contention is that after going through all the hassle of getting a build_root system up and running you will not see any significant gains in performance or increase in available RAM.

Not only that you end up with a very non-standard system that is harder to work with and maintain/update into the future.

All in all you may as well use Raspbian Lite.

Be sure to run your process at a higher priority level than everything else, see "nice" command, and it will get all the CPU it can use with no interruption.

Be sure to disable any installed services that you really don't need to save a bit on RAM.

Mind you, don't let me discourage you from exploring build_root it's a wonderful thing that may come in useful for other reasons.

Similarly have a look at "Linux From Scratch" :
http://www.intestinate.com/pilfs/
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rikas

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:03 pm

As Heater said: buildroot is a wonderful tool to build embedded systems - but in the very moment, you need something beyond the buildroot provided packages, your learning curve will go up (maybe untill "stalling").
Furthermore, buildroot does not provide a packaging system as raspbian and others do! The two package managers in buildroot's "Target packages" do NOT provide anything similar to apt- and friends!

"Face recognition" to me does not sound like a simple task (never been close to that), I would assume lots of dependencies ...

To get a minimized version of raspbian, ask google and search the forum - plenty of hints to do that!
Removing unnecessary packages indeed will free resources for your aplication
-- rikas

jahboater

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:47 pm

You are using a B+, seriously, for something like face recognition you really should get a Pi2 - four CPU's, NEON, 1GB ram amongst other things.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

Return to “General discussion”