Heater

Re: Obfuscation thread

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:53 am

W. H. Heydt ,

Thank you. I wanted to say that my little joke was not entirely without point but I was too tired to bother.

If you have some useful code today it can be better to Open Source it. Your name and your skills spread far and wide. You become a hero, and Open Source Rock star! Job offers start rolling in.

Yeah, yeah, usually not, I know.

Keep it closed and you may make some pocket money. Meh.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:40 am

It depends totally on what program you write.

Say it's a SCADA application for industry. There's plenty of money in support for that, theoretically. But would big companies with their own IT departments want to pay you to do what their own people can do? Maybe they would, but would you rather get $100 per seat when they roll it out across their entire factory? If they buy a service contract from you they are going to expect to get their money's worth. So you are effectively throwing out the software as a loss-leader and committing yourself to a lot of boring work that you don't want to do, when what you want to do is work on your next project.

Or say it's a fancy little add-on to a media-centre. The chances that anyone will ever pay you to make changes to it are miniscule. You could sell it for 50 cents and still make more.

I've never been convinced that the service model of FLOSS makes sense. It may work in some cases. I dare say that the GCC, Mozilla and Debian gurus make enough to live on, but there are plenty of cases where there are simply no users who will want to pay.

Where FLOSS does work is when you create it to scratch your own itch -- to allow you to do your job. Then you can cast it out into the world and if there are enough people out there with the same itch then 5% of them join you in making your product the best in class. And then you can do your paying job much easier.

Shoka

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:57 pm

To the original poster, whatever licence you choose, consider how it covers your own liability.

Sadly, even if you give your code away for free, and do your level best to design it to a good standard, that does not absolve you from liability for the code.

Commercial sale opens even more liabilities.

Simply casting something into the public domain does not eliminate your liability either.

Much of the verbiage in licences aims at addressing that problem, aiming to protect code creators from unreasonable liability.

If this is a commercial venture, the advice to seek legal assistance up thread is very wise.

If it does not justify that sort of investment, then I'd advise using one of the community supported licences.

If someone uses your code, claims a significant commercial loss and sues, you do not want to be exploring the intricacies of the legal system on your own.
Cheers Harry

mung

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:46 pm

Not read the thread properly so maybe someone already mentioned this but its not really possible to protect software if you want it to run stand alone, someone can always crack it if they are willing to spend enough time and effort. I suppose the question is, is anyone really interested enough to spend time cracking your protection.

I saw a link a while back about DRM http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... pi-oh-yay/

I was playing with using DMA and VC programming to scramble and reassemble code into memory based on a key and the pi mac address that would change the encrypted code everytime it was run, but as this thread says its just obfuscation not really full protection. Nothing in life is certain, so, why not just give your software away anonymously its much less hassle and responsibility. :lol:

okenido

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:13 pm

I don't quite much agree with all of you.
We know offline softwares are all crackable, but the point of obfuscation and other techniques is to make them LESS EASY to crack.

If you run a business, making your product harder to reverse engineer gives you an advantage over the product which can be duplicated with a copy-paste. Because there a people behind who will spend a lot of time (and money) on your device.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm

okenido wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:13 pm
I don't quite much agree with all of you.
We know offline softwares are all crackable, but the point of obfuscation and other techniques is to make them LESS EASY to crack.

If you run a business, making your product harder to reverse engineer gives you an advantage over the product which can be duplicated with a copy-paste. Because there a people behind who will spend a lot of time (and money) on your device.
Just out of interest, why did you post on a thread that was last posted on almost three years ago?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

okenido

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Found it with a google search.
Better than re-creating the same posts over and again.

okenido

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:44 pm
Some forums (or is that fora) have automatic locking of unloved threads after some months of them sleeping. That would so help to prevent the necroing of ancient crap on here.
You're so wrong.
This topic is about general things, it's never outdated or finished. Like most topics.

I don't know but, you really think having multiple posts talking about the same subject is better ? Answer. Honestly.

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:00 pm

okenido wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 pm
I don't know but, you really think having multiple posts talking about the same subject is better ? Answer. Honestly.
Yes. Because the Wheezy threads are useless. The Jessie threads are borderline useless. This year the Stretch threads will start to be borderline useless as we move to Buster.

Things change, software changes and hardware changes (no new questions on RPi1Bs turn up now). Documentation changes. Above all too many folks come here and say "I've got the same problem" then proceed to describe something that bears little or no relationship to the original. Having one question per thread makes it easier for everyone.

Anyone with a new thread can always post a link to an ancient thread to say, "I found some locked history here".
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

jamesh

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:18 pm

And I think we are done here, cleared thread of some crap, locking.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”