windhero

Farnell and Visa Electron

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:59 am

Is it possible to order and pay for a Raspberry Pi Model B with a Visa Electron? I put my card info with the order and recently received and email like such:

"Dear customer,

We would like to inform you that your order has been cancelled today because when we attempted to process your payment, your credit/debit card transaction was declined.

Don't worry, this could be due to a number of reasons;

• The credit/debit card you provided has expired since you placed the order*
• The credit limit has been reached on your card at the time we attempted to process
your order
• There has been a change in your billing address details

*We only take payment upon despatch of your order.

Please note, that if you are still interested in purchasing a Raspberry Pi, you can place a new order now for immediate dispatch from allocated stock."

So I made a new order, and got this email AGAIN:

" Dear Customer,

Thank you for ordering via the Farnell web site.
Your order has been given the following Farnell reference number: ORP066658. Please refer to this number if you contact Farnell regarding your order.

When stock is allocated to your order, we will send you a full order confirmation including prices, availability and expected delivery date."

So basically I was just sent back in the cue for a very vague reason that was not explained to me at all. I've sent 2 emails for [email protected] and all I've received in return have been the same automated email that didnt actually answer to anything in my email.

Halp?

jdbennet

Re: Farnell and Visa Electron

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 am

Order it with a "real" card? - Lots of people dont accept electron, only Visa Debit.

windhero

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm

jdbennet wrote:Order it with a "real" card? - Lots of people dont accept electron, only Visa Debit.
I dont have any other card, and getting a credit card just for this would be retarded. This is the first time in 8 years I've encountered this problem when shopping online. Any actually helpful advice/shared experience is appreciated.

jdbennet

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 pm

windhero wrote:
jdbennet wrote:Order it with a "real" card? - Lots of people dont accept electron, only Visa Debit.
I dont have any other card, and getting a credit card just for this would be retarded. This is the first time in 8 years I've encountered this problem when shopping online. Any actually helpful advice/shared experience is appreciated.
You don’t need a credit card, use a visa debit card, the electron is for kids... many retailers don’t accept them as the electron requires that you have funds available (you cant be overdrawn), which requires more leg-work on their end in terms of processing, as they have to be online and charge you at the time - hence why i.e. you cant pay by electron on trains and planes.

hrgdavid

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't think its related to being an Electron card. I got exactly the same email yesterday and I paid by Visa Debit.

Rebooked it and haven't heard back yet....

Regards,
David L.

jdbennet

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:57 pm

I ordered mine from them about 6 or 8 weeks ago, came about a month ago just fine.

windhero

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for explaining and I did some research on Visa Debit on my banks website and immediately ordered one. Though it seems the electron is not the problem here, but something on Farnell's side. I suppose I'll wait for a real email from Farnell or something.

If you've encountered the same problem and got it solved somehow, please keep on posting.

Thanks in advance!

esilviu

Thu May 09, 2013 2:23 pm

I have the same problem now. At various time intervals, Farnell refuses to process payment with Visa Electron (card from ING). No other payment problem with no other merchant except Farnell.

Return to “General discussion”