bugsy_malone 666

So the next batch of Zeros?

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm sure this is a question thats asked about once every 10 minutes on here, but I was wondering how frequently the batches of Zeros are going out?

I have been trying to get once since launch, including to try and get one with MagPi (not 5 like most people seem to have bought) and it seems consistently they have been out of stock.

Are they made at the same speed as other models?

RaTTuS

Re: So the next batch of Zeros?

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:06 pm

so use one other other threads :roll:
every day
see also
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 5861801985
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

bugsy_malone 666

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:13 pm

see despite having a twitter account, I just done use it.

Clearly thats the way forward.

It looks like a lot, but demand is clearly a lot higher that than supply!

I guess I have a curiosity as they why everyone wants millions of the zeros all at once, sure they are small, but so is an A+, its just in the case of a hand held device it needs to be small, which is why I have been after one :)

mikerr

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote:Are they made at the same speed as other models?
Apparently not:
liz wrote:Zero is in continuous volume production. [...] they're not currently being made at the same rate as the "big" Pis. .
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=131605&p=886866#p886866

Not sure where they are all going, UK main suppliers haven't had any for a while.

All gone to the USA, or magpi ?
(can still get a zero for £12.99 with 3 issues of magpi magazine: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/subscribe/)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:28 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote:I'm sure this is a question thats asked about once every 10 minutes on here...
Pretty much. Any parent that has taken small children on a trip by car can relate.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:36 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote:I'm sure this is a question thats asked about once every 10 minutes on here, but I was wondering how frequently the batches of Zeros are going out?

I have been trying to get once since launch, including to try and get one with MagPi (not 5 like most people seem to have bought) and it seems consistently they have been out of stock.

Are they made at the same speed as other models?
Previous response by Liz, bless her, does one need to keep asking ad-infinitum :?: :?: :?: :?:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=131605&p=886866#p886866
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:38 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote: I guess I have a curiosity as they why everyone wants millions of the zeros all at once, sure they are small, but so is an A+, its just in the case of a hand held device it needs to be small, which is why I have been after one :)
I've been wondering exactly that - it may be cheap, but it is much lower powered than the Pi2, which isn't exactly huge.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikronauts

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Simple.

The Pi Zero is both smaller, cheaper and can be treated as a component.

I suspect the vast majority of Pi Zero's will be going to embedded use, not as straight out educational computers, except perhaps to places like Africa, due to how much simpler it is to use a B+/Pi2 to make a full-fledged workstation (no messing with hubs, no hdmi converter needed etc).

What I am hoping for is an A+ rev2.0 with 512MB for ~$10-$15, as that would be competitive with adding all the cables etc to a Zero, and would be useful for schools with extremely limited funds (read africa etc)

Consider:

$5 Pi Zero
$15 Pi A+ (rev2, with 512MB)
$25 Pi B+
$35 Pi2

Now that line up makes sense

If the re-sellers make a $10 Pi Zero kit with just the needed cables, no power supply, that would also fit the above proposed lineup.

To get the distributors on board, I wish there was a "Pi Zero ten pack" for $50 (one sku, same handling as a single zero, more likely to be carried by the distributors)
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

alphanumeric

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:38 pm

I had to buy a budget pack to get one and timing was everything. At only 5 bucks my plan was to just add one to my next online purchase of Pi stuff. It doesn't make sense to just buy it by itself, not for me anyway with shipping costs. They sell out as soon as they go online it seems. Likely a lot of people are just adding one to their order. When I placed my last order with Adafruit they weren't available as a single item. Only in kits. About the only thing I actually needed from the kit was the OTG USB cable. The rest I already have kicking around. I spent the 30 bucks anyway. Now I have one to play with. Well, I will when my order gets delivered. It's on its way.

hippy

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:43 pm

mikronauts wrote:The Pi Zero is both smaller, cheaper and can be treated as a component.
That's what appeals to me. I will cry far less over a Zero I may destroy when experimenting with hardware interfacing than I would over a more expensive Pi, and not having a GPIO header fitted is an added benefit to me while experimenting.

It's cheap so I can get seven Zeroes for the price of a Pi 2B and I really don't need the advantage of speed nor extra cores. I can get a lot more projects deployed with multiple Zeroes than with one or a few 2B's.

It's ideal for adventures into bare metal being little more than a breakout board and the type of things I am planning don't need USB, networking or anything else, not even a display for that matter.

It is also the only Pi which is well suited to being used as a USB Gadget which also makes it appealing.

So when I look at it; the Zero is a lot, lot better than a Pi 2B, far more desirable. I have nothing against the Pi 2B and would use one if that suited what I was doing. But I'm not planning on going in that direction any time soon.

piglet

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:38 pm

mikronauts wrote:Consider:

$5 Pi Zero
$15 Pi A+ (rev2, with 512MB)
$25 Pi B+
$35 Pi2

Now that line up makes sense
I'd add $10 Pi ZeroW (Pi zero with onboard wifi) - I suspect a large proportion of Pi Zero use cases involve wifi.

klricks

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:32 pm

For some reason there appears to be an unlimited supply of RPi Zero on E-bay starting at about $25.00 plus shipping ......
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:35 pm

I think that reason is that sensibly, nobody's buying them at that price. Please don't buy from scalpers: we're doing everything we can to fill channels so supply and demand evens out.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

andy_a

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:57 pm

liz wrote:I think that reason is that sensibly, nobody's buying them at that price.
Unfortunately .. people are buying Zeros at £10 to £18 on ebay. :(

46 sold on the first listing alone. :roll:

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:29 am

AM I the only one, who seems a little perturbed, as the original price for the Zero, was $5.00 (USD? Or other?) and yet, I see them for sale as much as $30-$50 a piece? Strikes me as we here in the states call "Scalping" (buying a ticket to an event at the bargain price, But trying to resell it at a drastic mark-up (say 2-7x profit.) they do the same with Video game consoles on the day after our 'Thanksgiving' (also called Black Friday, where stores want buyers in as soon as possible following the day of the feast, and buying future christmas presents for bargain prices), Only to turn around, and post them for sale on sites like EBay, Amazon, etc.. for hundreds more than they originally paid.)

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:42 am

gelfling6 wrote:AM I the only one, who seems a little perturbed, as the original price for the Zero, was $5.00 (USD? Or other?) and yet, I see them for sale as much as $30-$50 a piece? Strikes me as we here in the states call "Scalping" (buying a ticket to an event at the bargain price, But trying to resell it at a drastic mark-up (say 2-7x profit.) they do the same with Video game consoles on the day after our 'Thanksgiving' (also called Black Friday, where stores want buyers in as soon as possible following the day of the feast, and buying future christmas presents for bargain prices), Only to turn around, and post them for sale on sites like EBay, Amazon, etc.. for hundreds more than they originally paid.)
If you object to reselling at an inflated price...don't buy. (Let me note that I don't buy off eBay, so I'm *definitely* not buying overpriced, resold Pi0s.)

RaTTuS

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am

gelfling6 wrote:AM I the only one, who seems a little perturbed, as the original price for the Zero, was $5.00 (USD? Or other?) and yet, I see them for sale as much as $30-$50 a piece? Strikes me as we here in the states call "Scalping" (buying a ticket to an event at the bargain price, But trying to resell it at a drastic mark-up (say 2-7x profit.) they do the same with Video game consoles on the day after our 'Thanksgiving' (also called Black Friday, where stores want buyers in as soon as possible following the day of the feast, and buying future christmas presents for bargain prices), Only to turn around, and post them for sale on sites like EBay, Amazon, etc.. for hundreds more than they originally paid.)
see
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=133357&sid=2b2209c ... 1e#p888618
2 posts above you :roll:
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

hippy

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 am

andy_a wrote:Unfortunately .. people are buying Zeros at £10 to £18 on ebay. :(
I would consider a Zero at £10 with free postage pretty good value anyway so would not be adverse to buying at that price. That would only be a couple of quid over RRP plus postage the official suppliers are selling at and a small premium to pay to get it now rather than wait months or having to continually keep a close eye on official supply availability; it is effectively paying them to save oneself time and effort and that's just how contracted service arrangements work. I would consider paying more if I had a burning desire to get one sooner rather than later. I also don't see it as much different as paying over the odds in buying a Zero plus cables I don't want or need in order to get a Zero.

If people want to pay a lot more than RRP for their Pi I do not see why they should not be allowed to. It simply shows the RRP is below current market valuation of the worth of a Zero and scalpers are seizing upon that. The scalpers will mostly disappear as soon as there is no shortage; their only real opportunity to add a premium mark-up will be in delivering to countries the official sellers will not ship to.

DirkS

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:09 pm

Email announcement from Pimoroni:
We'll have a new stock of Pi Zero available on Tuesday 26th of January which will be made available to buy at 12:00 GMT! We expect them to go quickly so make sure you're ready! It will remain one Pi Zero per order just as we have done in previous batches.

hippy

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:32 pm

We'll have a new stock of Pi Zero available on Tuesday 26th of January which will be made available to buy at 12:00 GMT! We expect them to go quickly so make sure you're ready!
I do wish they, and other sellers, would give some indication of how many they have so people can assess if it's worth the fight to get one, and that they would sell in batches throughout the day so those who cannot get to place an order at a particular time have some chance of getting one.

Heater

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Clearly with such an imbalance of supply and demand the Pi Zero's should be auctioned so as to arrive at a balance between buyers and sellers and settle on the market price.

The Foundation should put all Pi Zeros up on ebay.

Runs and hides...
Last edited by Heater on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Heater wrote:Clearly with such an imbalance of supply and demand the Pi Zero's should be auctioned so as to arrive at a balance between buyers and sellers and settle on the market price.

The Foundation should all Pi Zeros up on ebay.

Runs and hides...
LOL - I know that was a joke, so I'm not even going to call you a troll bite. :D

Don't forget though that one of the RPFs goals is to make computing as accessible as possible and as near to "FREE" as possible, rather than to gouge as much wonga out of the market as possible.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:00 pm

alexeames wrote:wonga
Is that the technical term? ;)
Account Inactive

Heater

Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:12 pm

SonOfAMotherlessGoat,
Is that the technical term?
As it happens it pretty much is:

https://www.wonga.com/

Probably was for the Aboriginals from where the word originates. Or the English gypsies, depending on whom you believe.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Well I be... Learned something new!
Account Inactive

Return to “General discussion”