Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Managing knowledge

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Calm down, ladies and gentlemen.

Navyscourge

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Something else posted above... supported and not supported scenarios and configurations.

This attitude belongs to big companies. They have PAID staff doing the supporting, and the more they can limit the support calls the less they spend on that supporting role. They also need to make money on their software sales, so it makes sense and money to 'force' people to spend money on the latest version of their software, which incidentally has a lot of new features and a new UI - isn't it brilliant!!

The design of the Pi means that experimenting, hacking or generally poking around is encouraged; almost anything is 'allowed'. The low cost of the Pi also suggests the reuse of old equipment without spending a lot. Look at the posts wanting help with all sorts of automation projects.

The generally accepted Linux philosophy (by the long-time users) is that a program does one job very well, there is no need for bloat and feature creep. Generally speaking, if the user knows what they are doing, there is no need to keep a system up to date; if they have had their Pi for a long while, perhaps as a present, users who don't know what they are doing might end up with an old system with a lot of their work on the SD card. Do we have an upgrade path that new users can follow?

As long as there are people posting questions about odd or old scenarios, I think they should expect a reasonable answer that is not "upgrade or you are stuffed" (which does not happen here very often). We probably do need a set of questions that can quickly identify the hardware and software involved, but wouldn't that be easy to put together?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 pm

This thread's really very interesting - keep it up!

One thing I don't think anybody's noticed or mentioned. One of the many things we do to keep the price of the Pi low is to make support as inexpensive as possible. We just can't afford to hire a dedicated support team (and to deal with all of the infrastructure around that) if we want to keep to our mission and make computing as accessible as we can to as many people as we can.

If you're buying a computer from, say, Dell, a good part of your purchase price is directly funding support. We'd have to add to the sticker price if we were to have a helpdesk, and I don't think many or any of you would agree that it'd be a good swap to make.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mung

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:21 pm

liz wrote:This thread's really very interesting - keep it up!
Hmmmm?
:lol:

mung

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Actually if this is a user volunteer site then I would have though there should be some automated way to get the users to support themselves?

I assume people feel when they have been helped that they want to try and pay it back (I know I always try to answer at least a few more questions than I have asked).

If there could be an automated way to show users threads that are similar to ones they have previously asked if gives them the chance to show others how they were helped or give an overview of the current knowledge and previous threads.

Of course this would lead to everyone seeing a different version of the forum based upon their previous posting history(should be MAC based as well as login).

I think some form of system to force users to give something back could be helpful, maybe karma based filter on post history allowing better or faster access to posting that highly skilled users or admin will view, I don't know how admin could view every post and give a reasonable in depth answers without some sort of filtering.

paulv

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:22 pm

mung,
Interesting idea, if most users would have a credible understanding and knowledge that is useful for others. Unfortunately, I think we can agree that this is not the case. We'll make the current problem we're having more difficult, due to the increase in contributions, and who will now weed-out the ( I have to do it, so I'll invent something) rubbish?

I still hope that something can be done to make the "self serve" elements, aka searching and finding, easier. That would really be a giant step foreward.

I just happened to look at the bottom on my screen, and wondered again why there are always about half a dozen Users, and never more than 50-70 guests, out of the millions. Is that a sign that the forum is not used for trolling for information and only for a quick question session? Liz, do you have statistics that are relevant to this discussion?

Navyscourge

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:42 pm

The bottom of the screen shows different users and numbers on different boards, so that number could be a lot bigger (maybe not millions)

davidcoton

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Navyscourge wrote:The bottom of the screen shows different users and numbers on different boards, so that number could be a lot bigger (maybe not millions)
Look on the index page.
In total there are 835 users online :: 34 registered, 1 hidden and 800 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1834 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:03 pm
I suspect each page's total is tailored to the particular subforum -- or even page.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

paulv

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:13 am

That makes a lot more sense, thank you 2.

With that explained, let's go back to my take on the original topic.
In order to figure out -IF- guests are really browsing the Forum for information and learning (what the Foundation's goals are) as opposed to just posting a quick question, it would be interesting to see a distribution of the time spent in the Forums by guests.

Because, we either focus on making the Forum a fast answering machine, or we try to make it richer with content, and focus on easier "self serving" so the answers to questions or information in general can be more easily found by Guests (with little patience or Forum searching experience).

A lot of very valuable information from mostly Users and Moderators is "hidden" in the answers to questions from Guests, and is very difficult to find. Hence the duplication of questions, and the repeated answering by "us" to things already solved. Categorizing that information in a new way, which was the original idea I think, will not work, as discussed.

As an alternative, would it help if we (Users and Moderators) start to add certain "Tags" to our posts so it's easier to find by the search mechanism? We can possibly decide on a number of standard "Tags" together? And, maybe, just maybe, the Foundation can tweak the search mechanism to favor these Tags.

Return to “General discussion”