carlosfm

Re: Finalised PCB design now on the front page

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:52 pm

I\'ve made this crude attempt at a RasPi PCB desktop, using Microsoft\'s best application (other than Notepad), Paint:

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/29dabk.gif[/IMG]
Do you Pi?

Lakes

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:12 pm

That gives me idea for Liz to keep people happy with a larger version, just cover the maze of tiny traces with the Logo!
Like this...
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ULO3k.png[/IMG]

Nutmeat

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Shrink that raspberry down a little bit to get more of the glitter of the BGA. It looks like sparkles.
:)

jojopi

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:47 pm

[quote]Quote from vladhed on November 15, 2011, 16:16
Looks like there\'s still some free realestate bottom right![/quote]

No, that is definitely where the Ethernet magjack lives. You can trace the signals directly to the TX/RX pins on the 9512.

See hippy\'s picture earlier in the thread, which is almost certainly correct except for the SD footprint not extending far enough into the board.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:52 pm

Its just weeks, I tell you!

Mere weeks.......

At present Raspberry Pi is coming in first/second as you type it into google, and Northcott comes up first. Lots of people are searching for info... 8-)

No, I don\'t know why I posted this here, I just got carried away looking at the circuit board. Please ignore and carry on!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

carlosfm

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:32 pm

[quote]Quote from Lakes on November 15, 2011, 18:12
That gives me idea for Liz to keep people happy with a larger version, just cover the maze of tiny traces with the Logo!
Like this...
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ULO3k.png[/IMG][/quote]

That way you hide the most impressive part of this PCB.
Do you Pi?

Lakes

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Another version...
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NJuPj.png[/IMG]

abishur

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm

[quote]Quote from vladhed on November 15, 2011, 16:16
Here\'s my guess - I\'m guessing the space with 6 blobs is Ethernet, and 8 is for 2 USB, on each side of the audio connector.
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/v ... rbers2.png[/img]

Looks like there\'s still some free realestate bottom right![/quote]

Wow, really great job! I\'m gonna pick on your labeling cause I like it the best :P

My only critique is that you have audio coming off the LAN9512 chip and I think the camera (MIPI DSI or the other... I forget the name of them I2S?) Pins are just to the left to what you have labeled as camera (which is also coming off the LAN9512, so probably not a camera?) Also the JTAG should just be 4 pins so what you\'ve labeled JTAG is probably the mipi dsi or i2s. Maybe the JTAG is the part in the top right corner right above what you have labeled as audio?

I think you\'re right about the USB placement. Especially if we assume red traces going to it are power.

I suppose it\'s possible that the LAN9512 lets you pass signals via unused pins.. or that traces are routed under the chip and it only *looks* like it\'s attached to a pin :P

Ugh, we\'re reaching the part of the project that\'s like the last 10 minutes before you get home from a long car trip. You\'re ready to be home, you know you\'re almost home but it\'s still an agonizing distance away!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Michael

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 pm

[quote]Quote from hippy on November 15, 2011, 12:08
My best guess is ...

[img]http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... BPLACE.gif[/img]

It\'s going to be challenging trying to work out how best to position it in a larger box, what to put up against a front or back panel, but that\'s all part of the fun.
[/quote]

This (hippy\'s) one looks the closest to being on the money.

On the Alpha board, JTAG was a 6-pin header and UART was a 4-pin header; there were 2x 26-pin headers, providing ARM JTAG, GPIOs, I2C, I2S and SPI; a 12-pin header providing DSI and a 12-pin header providing MIPI CSI-2.

I think there is also a connector between HDMI and Ethernet - looks to be a 2x15 pin surface mount connector. Maybe this is the camera interface, combining the 2x12-pin headers from the alpha board, plus some extra signals for good measure?

The only other thing I think that might be incorrect is the purpose of the 15-pin header (or given that it appears to have two pin 1s, a 7 pin and an 8 pin header) you\'ve labeled as JTAG.

jojopi

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 pm

[quote]Quote from abishur on November 15, 2011, 20:44
I think you\'re right about the USB placement. Especially if we assume red traces going to it are power.
[/quote]

It is easy to verify that the red are 9512 downstream USB peripheral 2 data, and the yellow peripheral 3. We can not see the power and ground connections in this screenshot.

I do not understand the pads in the peripheral 3 data lines, however. I would expect the 9512 to be permanently connected, with 0R links to vias used to short to the upstream for the Model A. But that it not what it looks like.

Gert van Loo

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Michael\'s is the best one thus far. Between HDMI and LAN is the CSI connector. On top of the SD-card is the DSI connector.

Michael

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:49 pm

[quote]Quote from Gert van Loo on November 15, 2011, 22:28
Michael\'s is the best one thus far. Between HDMI and LAN is the CSI connector. On top of the SD-card is the DSI connector.
[/quote]

Well now you are just teasing us!

But I\'ll play along.

Okay, so my refined guess is that the DSI connector is a 15-pin surface mount connector - probably for a flat flex cable. Similarly the CSI connector is also 15-pin surface mount.

vladhed

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:28 am

Should be good for a laugh when we find out we\'re all wrong :-D :-D

johnbeetem

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:51 am

[quote]Quote from jojopi on November 15, 2011, 22:07
It is easy to verify that the red are 9512 downstream USB peripheral 2 data, and the yellow peripheral 3. We can not see the power and ground connections in this screenshot.

I do not understand the pads in the peripheral 3 data lines, however. I would expect the 9512 to be permanently connected, with 0R links to vias used to short to the upstream for the Model A. But that it not what it looks like.
[/quote]

My guesses:
1. Stubs are a bad idea at 480 Mb/s. You really want direct point-to-point.
2. For development, it\'s nice to convert between Model A and Model B by just moving a few 0R links. I\'m guessing that the Model A USB wires to the SOC have 0R links on the bottom of the board.

jojopi

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:43 am

[quote]Quote from johnbeetem on November 16, 2011, 00:51
1. Stubs are a bad idea at 480 Mb/s. You really want direct point-to-point.
2. For development, it\'s nice to convert between Model A and Model B by just moving a few 0R links. I\'m guessing that the Model A USB wires to the SOC have 0R links on the bottom of the board.
[/quote]

1. Yes, I totally missed that.
2. That indeed fits with the nearby vias, and two track colours seemingly running to the same pads. Model B had the 0R links on the top of the board, and Model A on the bottom, in exactly the same position.

abishur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Okay, I couldn\'t resist throwing my guess in the mix. It\'s mainly hippy\'s guess with some slight tweaking and modification based on what gert said.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7mXY ... layout.png[/img]

Edit: You can click on the picture for a larger version /Edit

If this is correct, it\'s interesting that the JTAG appears to go through the LAN9512. I mean, one way or the other there are clearly three items that appear to be connected to the LAN9512. USB and Ethernet were expected, but if the third isn\'t the JTAG, what is it?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

NoSuchNick

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:01 pm

I think you mislabeled the DSI.

I would guess, that the DSI connector is in the same area as the SD Card, just on the other side. (SD Card back, CSI front) What you have as DSI i would guess is GPIO and your GPIO i would say is JTAG and debug.

Bacan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:20 pm

What does CSI & DSI mean?

( In language a Software/Firmware/Business Geek can understand. ) :-|

Josh

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Wait a minute... looking through these designs I saw none with USB out. Is this going to be included, or did I miss something?
Actually, coming to think of it, I\'m sure that you said the R-Pi wasn\'t going to have one due to power issues or something...

Josh

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:23 pm

[quote]Quote from Bacan on November 16, 2011, 16:20
What does CSI & DSI mean?

( In language a Software/Firmware/Business Geek can understand. ) :-| [/quote]

Camera Serial Interface (CSI) and Display Serial Interface (DSI) - you usually find them on phone MoBo\'s.
Basically, CSI is for a camera. DSI is for a direct connection to a display (instead of hooking it up via HDMI).

Josh

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 pm

[quote]Quote from abishur on November 16, 2011, 15:39
Okay, I couldn\'t resist throwing my guess in the mix. It\'s mainly hippy\'s guess with some slight tweaking and modification based on what gert said.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7mXY ... layout.png[/img]

Edit: You can click on the picture for a larger version /Edit

If this is correct, it\'s interesting that the JTAG appears to go through the LAN9512. I mean, one way or the other there are clearly three items that appear to be connected to the LAN9512. USB and Ethernet were expected, but if the third isn\'t the JTAG, what is it?[/quote]

Where you said the DSI was going to be, I\'m sure it was confirmed to be a GPIO. But, I suppose you could get it working with some sort of display.

Montekuri

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Oh, I was thinking that CSI was Crime Scene Investigation, that american TV serie.
(Just a joke :) )

Josh

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:30 pm

[quote]Quote from Montekuri on November 16, 2011, 16:29
Oh, I was thinking that CSI was Crime Scene Investigation, that american TV serie.
(Just a joke :) )[/quote]

[img]http://blastmagazine.com/wp-content/upl ... cepalm.jpg[/img]

Bacan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Thank you for the rapid response and answers to my lack of TLA understanding. :-)

Return to “General discussion”