mikey32094

Good/Cheap Game Controller?

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:15 am

Hey all,

I'm thinking of installing a gaming OS to my PI so I can enjoy some sweet sweet retro gaming. Amazon has slim pickins when it comes to USB game controllers, at least in the lower end price range.

I've found some other online, but I'd like to know if the PI community has any sort of consensus on the most fun, functional, and accurate budget controller available. Something with lots of buttons, joypads, finger triggers, and a D pad like the PS4/XBox controllers currently have would be so great.

I also have like 4 old-school xbox controllers (the version before the 360) just sitting in a drawer. If some sort of adapter to usb existed for those, that would be sweet as well.

Ideas? Thanks for your time, peeps!

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Re: Good/Cheap Game Controller?

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:40 am

The F710 from Logitech works good. I don't see new ones listed on Amazon, but they do have the wired version, the F310 at a good price.
Account Inactive

blc

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:11 am

You don't need a new controller, you already have one - you need a cable like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacment-Cont ... box+to+usb

The original Xbox controller actually used a USB bus, but they changed the connector on the end. If you're up for a bit of hacking you can chop off the proprietary connector and wire it up to USB. Or just buy a cheap converter cable first just to make sure it works before you go chopping into things...

Software support should be native; it should work "out of the box" on a Pi. I say should because I've never used the original Xbox controller on a PC, only the Xbox 360 controller. But in theory it should be fine.

mikey32094

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:33 am

Wow thank you for that great tip, BLC! I've been browsing around trying to find one of those for the classic xbox, but the descriptions aren't usually very clear. I think I'm definitely going to buy one of these and forget about cutting cables. Woot.

blc

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:05 am

No worries. Like I said I never tried them on Linux, but they used to work great under Windows XP.

Return to “General discussion”