DaHai8

Pi Zero No Data through Power Port

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:24 am

First, let me say I think the Pi Zero is an excellent board, the price/performance point is incredible (if I could find one to buy).
But I think the lack of data on the power port is kinda sad. After all, it has only two USB ports on it and only one can do data. If the Power Port also did data, it would make it much more versatile.
For instance, you could plug it into a powered USB hub and over only one cable be able to power and communicate with other peripherals.
Or if used as an intelligent controller, like on the LutzBot Mini 3D Printer, just plugging it into the USB port on that printer and you'd have power and data without needing another power supply and cable.
It would make using the Pi Zero and an embedded IoT intelligent device that much simpler.
Just my opinion.
Maybe the next generation (0+, /0, 0^2 ?) will have this feature...

mikronauts

Re: Pi Zero No Data through Power Port

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 am

Given that the Broadcom SOC's used in Pi's only have one USB interface, your wish is not possible without going to another SOC family, or adding a USB hub on-board.

Basically no way at $5
DaHai8 wrote:First, let me say I think the Pi Zero is an excellent board, the price/performance point is incredible (if I could find one to buy).
But I think the lack of data on the power port is kinda sad. After all, it has only two USB ports on it and only one can do data. If the Power Port also did data, it would make it much more versatile.
For instance, you could plug it into a powered USB hub and over only one cable be able to power and communicate with other peripherals.
Or if used as an intelligent controller, like on the LutzBot Mini 3D Printer, just plugging it into the USB port on that printer and you'd have power and data without needing another power supply and cable.
It would make using the Pi Zero and an embedded IoT intelligent device that much simpler.
Just my opinion.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 am

DaHai8 wrote:First, let me say I think the Pi Zero is an excellent board, the price/performance point is incredible (if I could find one to buy).
Just my opinion.
The Single USB Port can support OTG "Gadget" Mode, though still in testing at present. This seems to answer your want ?

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=130815#p874890
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

rpdom

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:52 am

DaHai8 wrote:Or if used as an intelligent controller, like on the LutzBot Mini 3D Printer, just plugging it into the USB port on that printer and you'd have power and data without needing another power supply and cable.
You can supply power through the data USB port. You don't need to use the power port at all.

DaHai8

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:20 am

rpdom wrote: You can supply power through the data USB port. You don't need to use the power port at all.
That's cool!
Someone should tell this guy. His project is overly complicated then:
http://n-o-d-e.net/post/137087519331/ho ... r-ethernet

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 am

DaHai8 wrote:
rpdom wrote: You can supply power through the data USB port. You don't need to use the power port at all.
That's cool!
Someone should tell this guy. His project is overly complicated then:
http://n-o-d-e.net/post/137087519331/ho ... r-ethernet
It may be over complicated but that is the nature of what the RPi is all about :D

Regards "Gadget" Mode, Adafruit have undertook to write a Tutorial though they do warn it is still experimental ;)

https://learn.adafruit.com/turning-your ... t/overview
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Return to “General discussion”