Heater

Re: We're recruiting!

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:47 pm

That's a challenging case you have there Jim.

Cooking/baking recipes are often used an an analogy for software. There are the ingredients (Variables, data structures) the preparation (algorithm) and the timing (real-time programming).

Question is: Do you want to be the cook, following the recipe, or the chef, creating the recipe from an understanding of how things go together.

Certainly running a restaurant is an exercise in scheduling with tight time constraints.

Perhaps there is a way to bend some programming examples towards a cooking bias to grab this girls attention.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

davidcoton

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Heater wrote: Perhaps there is a way to bend some programming examples towards a cooking bias to grab this girls attention.
Years ago I was interviewed for a software job with a gas appliance manufacturer. We discussed the role of microprocessors embedded in gas burning equipment. I suggested that a microprocessor could be used as an electronic recipe book on an oven. The interviewer seemed to like the idea, but I didn't get the job and I've never seen the idea implemented. The Pi + touchscreen would be an ideal platform.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Burngate

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:21 pm

liz wrote:Folks - this is partly my fault, but this is WOEFULLY off-topic. Can we get back to the topic in hand please?
Sorry, Liz. Got carried away.

I'd apply myself, IF:
1) I could prove I am as competent as I believe I am.
2) I wasn't lazy.

1) Gödel proved that there are some things that, while true, are unprovable. This is one of those things.
2) is provably untrue.

Return to “General discussion”