blc

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero stocking?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 am

EDIT: Sorry, lost my draft, one moment...

BMS Doug

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 am

LightEmittingDude wrote:There seems to be zero information in the Channel about expected availability of this product, and I'm disappointed to see there is zero real information being provided here either. At least we understand its name better now.

I do find it rather strange that this thread is over 99.9% speculation by well-meaning users. To the extent that the OP's question has been answered on behalf of the Foundation, we've really been left none the wiser. Many of the arguments for the lack of product seem specious to me.

However, ignoring that - why can't you just tell us the basics: exactly how many are being made per week and where are they going? Is the production in fact being increased, and if so, on what schedule? Is the supply of Broadcom chips a limiting factor ... or isn't it? It is hard not to be skeptical that 'thousands' are rolling off the lines 'as I write this' since it has not been in stock at the Pi Hut (one of only four distributors) since I registered there over a month ago.

Ever hopeful for some real communication ...

Cheers,

LED

(Further Speculation):

Perhaps the foundation are trying to combat the e-bayers by building up enough of a stockpile that they can release enough in one go to satisfy the market requirements (and so many at once that the e-bay horde won't be able to buy all the stock).
If my speculation is correct then I wouldn't expect to see official notification of it before the mass release (why warn the e-bayers that you are going to cripple their plan) and I'd expect that the first few days would be limited to one Pi0 per transaction.
I'd further expect simultaneous release in the US and UK, so maybe there is a slow boat to America that is loaded with Pi0's.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

blc

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:42 am

I read the entire thread and NOT ONCE has someone mentioned Raspberry Pi Zero boards in conjunction with stockings. I am disappoint.

Although to be fair it looks like the thread title has changed recently...
LightEmittingDude wrote:However, ignoring that - why can't you just tell us the basics: exactly how many are being made per week and where are they going? Is the production in fact being increased, and if so, on what schedule? Is the supply of Broadcom chips a limiting factor ... or isn't it? It is hard not to be skeptical that 'thousands' are rolling off the lines 'as I write this' since it has not been in stock at the Pi Hut (one of only four distributors) since I registered there over a month ago.
If you'll forgive further speculation/supposition from a well-meaning user: because that's perfect market reasarch data for competitors.

Indulge me in a thought experiment for a moment. Let's say you want to start building Zero-like SBCs, and you think you might be able to turn a decent profit on it. The market leader in educational/hobbyist SBCs then starts releasing all their data on: how many they're making, how frequently they can make a specific quantity, where they're being sold/distributed, what their limiting factors are, etc,. You are now in a perfect position to start putting together your business plan: you can estimate how much capital you'll need to invest, you'll know how many you'll need to sell in order to start turning a profit (aka: ROI rate), you know the size of the market, you know what potential supply problems you will face, etc.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a charitable foundation, but Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd does exist to make a profit. (Of course the difference is that all profit made goes towards the Foundation's charity goals instead of the pockets of Eben et al)

Pithagoros

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:49 am

We know that Pimoroni had some, ands they sold them in several batches, and on each occasion pre-announced that they were on their way.
We know the PiHut have some because they have given the information on twitter that they are being prepared for sale.

So I presume that some of these were the batch that we were told via Liz were being produced.

The only speculation that I will make for the unexplained current scarcity is that because demand for Zero is higher than expected, RP have decided to re-evaluate distribution.

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 am

Pithagoros wrote:We know that Pimoroni had some, ands they sold them in several batches, and on each occasion pre-announced that they were on their way.
We know the PiHut have some because they have given the information on twitter that they are being prepared for sale.

So I presume that some of these were the batch that we were told via Liz were being produced.

The only speculation that I will make for the unexplained current scarcity is that because demand for Zero is higher than expected, RP have decided to re-evaluate distribution.
liz has said there are PI0 being built every day
Pimoroni and pi-hut will get notice from the shipping agent that some are on the way so will be able to say there will be more in for sale @ blah blah etc..
the RPI-A+ is out of stock because of a large order from some industrial manufacturer - this and the Pi0 have limited the the BCM2835 - this has a 3mth lead time so from Nov - excpect a new batch of BCM23835 to arrive in the chain i.e. Feb some time - then you can ramp up production of PI0 and model A

[more speculation]

the foundation build the PI0 in wales in the same factory that makes the B2 so both E14 and RS will be asking for shed loads of B2 A+ etc from the same factory the Pi0 has to fill in in the gaps of production for those

etc... they'll come when Pretty Polly has the chain fish net worked out IYSWIM

ok?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Pithagoros

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:We know that Pimoroni .... blah blah

ok?
Is that OK addressed to me?

I'm OK, I already have my Pi Zeros and I don't need any more.
Just joining in the thread.

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:40 am

not specifically - just in general .
adding more speculation and some gained knowledge :)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:25 am

I've checked with the Foundation, and there is no further information to impart, over and above what has already been published. The Zero is being made as fast as possible, and is selling out almost instantly, which is why it is still in short supply. It really is as simple as 'cannot make them fast enough for the current demand', and there is currently no way to make them any faster. If I was in the market to buy one, I would assume that things are not changing in the next couple of months at least.

What's difficult to know (for anyone) is when that demand will slack off, hence meaning easier availability. It quite possible that demand will suddenly drop off as everyone who wants one has one. It's quite possible demand will slowly tail off. It's quite possible demand will stay where it is. It's quite possible demand will increase as more people figure out what they can use them for.

I'd not want to be the one guessing which one of those it is!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

morphy_richards

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:48 am

I wonder if the foundation could ever see a way to somehow negotiate allowances for multiple orders for hub centres, jam leaders, schools, colleges and universities... :?:
(dives under table, puts on flak jacket, covers ears and squeezes shut eyes)

jamesh

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 pm

morphy_richards wrote:I wonder if the foundation could ever see a way to somehow negotiate allowances for multiple orders for hub centres, jam leaders, schools, colleges and universities... :?:
(dives under table, puts on flak jacket, covers ears and squeezes shut eyes)
I'm sure that will come about at some point, once demand levels out.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

TheGuyUk

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Why does it keep being commented that Pi A+ is out of stock when they are not ? A quick internet search shows there are hundreds in stock and for sale from suppliers!

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:51 pm

TheGuyUk wrote:Why does it keep being commented that Pi A+ is out of stock when they are not ? A quick internet search shows there are hundreds in stock and for sale from suppliers!
Yep CPC UK 350+ RPi A+ £14.03 plus taxes etc....

Though this post is regards the ZERO :?
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Pithagoros

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:52 pm

TheGuyUk wrote:Why does it keep being commented that Pi A+ is out of stock when they are not ? A quick internet search shows there are hundreds in stock and for sale from suppliers!
377 At CPC/Farnell and out of stock at RS.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Speculation and OT do not a happy thread make. Closing.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”