tim.ingram

Raspberry Pi 2 B lifetime or duration before discontinuation

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:20 pm

I have searched a lot for information about the lifetime before the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B will be discontinued but to no avail! I am designing in this unit into a new product and committing many thousands of GBP into tooling and development and don't want the unit's FF&F to change for at least 2 to 3 years!!!

Can someone please let me know where I can download a document that certifies the lifetime or duration before discontinuation of the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?

Thanks in advance, Tim..

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 B lifetime or duration before discontinua

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:09 pm

There's no official 'end date', but the Foundation has said in the past they will continue to build models that people are still interested in buying. Some have stopped, original A for example, as no-one was wanting them. I suspect the B2 will last for some time (years), even if replaced by a newer model eventually. Even if a new model does come out in the next 2-3 years, I suspect the form factor will remain the same or similar, and the software support will also continue as is (ie software that runs on current models will run on future models, just as software developed on the original Pi will still run on the current ones. You might need to recompile for best performance)

That said, I am not privy to the Foundation specific plans in any of this, and am extrapolating from the current situation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

stderr

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

tim.ingram wrote:I have searched a lot for information about the lifetime before the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B will be discontinued but to no avail! I am designing in this unit into a new product and committing many thousands of GBP into tooling and development and don't want the unit's FF&F to change for at least 2 to 3 years!!!

Can someone please let me know where I can download a document that certifies the lifetime or duration before discontinuation of the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?
Industry would usually have some sort of availability dates so you could plan but the pi seems to operate outside those ideas. Think about how you'd integreate a Pi Zero into something when you can't even be sure you'll be able to buy any of them.

You could do what aircraft manufacturers do, since their time scales are rather longer than there's any hope of product being still made, they just buy up enough of the parts that can't change or are certified at the start to last them for 25 years.

gordon77

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Some manufacturers / suppliers don't give end of life date but when they decide it's coming to an end they tell you and offer a last chance to buy so you can provision for spares etc.

Douglas6

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:10 pm

That didn't happen with the Pi A, however.

gordon77

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Douglas6 wrote:That didn't happen with the Pi A, however.
I said some :)

jbeale

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:54 pm

FWIW- in my experience, in the electronic component and consumer electronics fields, it is unusual to have any real guarantee of future availability beyond current inventory. If you are a big customer you often get more insight into end-of-life plans, but that's usually a year at most.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:06 pm

IMO only one Model the RPi 1A not available is pretty good after 4 years, did they actually manufacture many ?

Though back to original question the RPi Compute Module was released specifically for the purpose of developing products, and recently the Element14 Customization Service was offered.
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:51 pm

stderr wrote:Industry would usually have some sort of availability dates so you could plan but the pi seems to operate outside those ideas. Think about how you'd integreate a Pi Zero into something when you can't even be sure you'll be able to buy any of them.
That's becoming less frequent. Try buying a PC motherboard. Even with PCI SBCs ten years ago we were having to move to new products faster than we were comfortable with. It used to be that industrial products were available for five years but many are now changing faster than that and even doing stuff like keeping the same model number but changing the chipset.

@jamesh, it isn't just the form-factor and the software that's important. The cabling and enclosure requirements have changed often.

Having said that, the Raspberry Pi has been very consistent and is likely to continue to be so. The target market -- schools -- demands that all Pi's can run the same code and behave similarly. You might have to migrate to newer products every five years or so, but it will probably be easy to do so.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:59 pm

The Model A was upgraded as the improved A+ (more GPIO pins and lower power consumption), albeit with a gap in availability of the A until the A+ could be produced. However, that was in response to slow(ing?) A sales and increasing huge demand for other models, IIRC. If one is accustomed to typical industrial controller unit prices, buying enough Pi 2B boards for the lifetime of the project, and then some, should be a no-brainer, given its incredible value for the price.

You need to understand that the availability of Pii for the industrial market is a very happy side-effect of an effort to provide a low-cost device to the education market. Even that turned out to be a delightful artifact that grew out of an initial intention to only produce enough for a single university's computer science recruitment pool numbering in the low thousands over a period of at least five years, IIRC.

Think of the Pii as light bulbs, i.e., commodity units at commodity prices, although very, very bright (in the intellectual sense) light bulbs ;)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”