agraco

Help for headless

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:30 am

Hi. I am looking for a current resource on headless setup. I looked through the forums (more than 6200 posts on headless...), YouTube to no avail, and even checked the sticky notes.

Method 1. Install putty and Xming.
Result: partial success. I can connect to the Pi through a command window...and that is it. I can't open the OS.

Method 2: Plug the SD card into the laptop to edit the CMD file (this idea is from videos on YouTube)
Result: I can't even find the CMD file. See screen shot of my folder: https://goo.gl/photos/CfAoW5rDkRqTn47U8

All the resources I have found are old and I wonder if this is part of the problem.

What I am using:
  • laptop OS: Windows
    SD card: SanDisk 32GB
    Raspberry Pi 2
Thanks

AndyD

Re: Help for headless

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:04 am

agraco wrote:Method 1. Install putty and Xming.
Result: partial success. I can connect to the Pi through a command window...and that is it. I can't open the OS.
I assume when you say "I can't open the OS." that you want to display the Desktop on your laptop. Is that correct?

If so there are a number of ways to display the Raspberry Pi/Raspbian Desktop on your laptop.

A number of people have suggested using xrdp. I have never tried it, so I don't know how hard it is to set up.

The other option is to use VNC. There are two ways you can use VNC.

You can use x11vnc. This will connect to an existing Desktop on the Raspberry Pi and display it on your laptop.

or

You can use tightvnc. This will create a new virtual desktop when you log in. There are instruction in the Raspberry Pi documentation VNC (Virtual Network Computing), but these probably need updating. The forum thread VNC server in Jessie (using a systemd service) is probably a better place to start.

or

You can use RealVNC for the Raspberry Pi. Which can be setup to either create a new Dekstop or use an existing one.

agraco

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:45 am

AndyD wrote:I assume when you say "I can't open the OS." that you want to display the Desktop on your laptop. Is that correct?
correct. I am looking for the Raspian windows environment from within Putty (if that is even possible).

thanks for the links, I am starting to look at them

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:25 am

agraco wrote:
AndyD wrote:I assume when you say "I can't open the OS." that you want to display the Desktop on your laptop. Is that correct?
correct. I am looking for the Raspian windows environment from within Putty (if that is even possible).

If you installed Raspbian Jessie without using the NOOBS installer then SSH is enabled by default:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

klricks

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:05 am

agraco wrote:

SSH via PuTTY is CLI only. As mentioned use VNC or RDP to get a GUI session.
I use XRDP

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xrdp
Then on the Windows computer use the built in remote desktop (RDP).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

agraco

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:30 am

klricks wrote:
SSH via PuTTY is CLI only. As mentioned use VNC or RDP to get a GUI session.
I use XRDP
Thank you. I had tried every other link to no avail. Your sentence about putty not being relevant really helped focus my attention.

I think that a Raspberry is like cooking. We need a Ricardo of Raspberry to come up with a list of steps that the beginners can work with. :D Once someone figures out how to talk to beginners, this product will really take off.

stderr

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:12 am

agraco wrote:Hi. I am looking for a current resource on headless setup.
The major problem is that if something gets screwed up and you can't ssh in, you can't see any output on the screen to give you an idea of what is going wrong. So you may be forced to then mount the sdcard in another machine to have a look at logs and whatnot.

If you are under Windows on the machine with the screen, you can run MobaXterm and then run various X programs on the pi but have them show up on your local machine. Like firefox runs on the pi but shows up on your local machine. This is much cleaner if you are just running a unix like OS on the machine with the screen though.

stevech

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:40 am

I run RPI 2 and RPI Zero using vnc. Several how-to's are on the web

leol

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:08 am

agraco wrote:
klricks wrote:
Once someone figures out how to talk to beginners, this product will really take off.
Shame the Pi is not a success! ??? 7 Million and counting I believe

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 pm

agraco wrote: correct. I am looking for the Raspian windows environment from within Putty (if that is even possible).
MobaXterm is what you want.

http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/

That fully integrates with PuTTY and is a very nice way of getting an XWindows server running on Windows with your Raspberry Pi as the XWindows client. (Yes XWindows does have client & server backwards.)
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”