sangan1161

Keep time: leap second?

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:51 am

Hi guys, I have a little question: how can en RTC system manage leap seconds?

In this case I could have system time set to 00:00:00 while correct time would be 23:59:60.
I've read GPS correctly manages this, but when working with ntp?
Does it support leap second? I haven't found any library about this......
At same time never heard before about RTC supporting leap second.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited by sangan1161 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
:D

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Re: Keep time: leap second?

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:16 am

As you surmised, RTCs don't know anything about leap seconds, so, it comes down to the OS. I'm guessing that Linus Torvalds' reference Linux kernel, Debian, and hence Raspbian and Ubuntu (which both derive from Debian) both implement the following via the Network Time Protocol, and occasional access to NTP servers over a network is available to detect the change:
http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo-real.htm#AEN2499
The theory of leap seconds in explained in Q: 2.4.. In reality there are two cases to consider:

If the operating system implements the kernel discipline described in Section 5.2, ntpd will announce insertion and deletion of leap seconds to the kernel. The kernel will handle the leap seconds without further action necessary.

If the operating system does not implement the kernel discipline, the clock will show an error of one second relative to NTP's time immediate after the leap second. The situation will be handled just like an unexpected change of time: The operating system will continue with the wrong time for some time, but eventually ntpd will step the time. Effectively this will cause the correction for leap seconds to be applied too late.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

jojopi

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:19 am

RTC chips do not handle leap seconds. GPS time does not even have leap seconds, but the difference to UTC is broadcast, so the presence of leap seconds in UTC can be inferred.

Linux and NTP have limited support for leap seconds. The system time will never be 23:59:60, but the clock will warp so that some second around that time is repeated. Some time after that, any RTC should be updated.

Correct handling of leap seconds in POSIX is hampered by the assumption that you can divide the number of seconds since 1970-01-01 by 86400 to get the number of days.

Future systems may stretch time around the leap second, instead of inserting a discontinuity.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:23 pm

It may not matter. The leap second on 30th June 2015 may be the last one ever although we've got to wait until 2023 for the science wonks to make their minds up.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015 ... k-science/
http://www.nature.com/news/leap-second- ... rs-1.18855

Mainframes have code in their OS to spin the processor doing nothing productive for a second when a leap second is added.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm inclined to think that a leap second correction in an RTC would be an exercise in frustration since I don't know of an RTC that is practical for individual use (i.e. cost is affordable by Mere Mortals) that would be accurate enough to tell if it were only off by one second after a year of running without correction.

jackokring

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:15 pm

I'm for losing leap seconds and moving the meridian ... :D

Long live UTC
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

allfox

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:14 pm

I didn't know those seconds! :shock:

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:19 pm

allfox wrote:I didn't know those seconds! :shock:
The reason for them is that we can now make clocks that are more consistent than the rotation of the Earth. This is a comparatively modern problem.

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:59 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
The reason for them is that we can now make clocks that are more consistent than the rotation of the Earth. This is a comparatively modern problem.
Compared to the invention of clocks yes.
Nuclear clocks have been around for a good while now.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

gordon77

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:24 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Depends what you call modern, atomic clocks came in 1950s, started adding leap seconds in 1972.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:32 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
That's why I said "comparatively modern". First Cesium transition clock was made in 1955, and I'm older than that. Granted...the idea was first proposed by Lord Kelvin in 1879, which is--essentially--when my grandparents were born, but actual attempts to build atomic transition clocks only really got going in the 1930s.

I suppose what constitutes "modern" depends on the speaker's age...

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:59 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: The reason for them is that we can now make clocks that are more consistent than the rotation of the Earth. This is a comparatively modern problem.
That's why I said "comparatively modern". First Cesium transition clock was made in 1955, and I'm older than that. Granted...the idea was first proposed by Lord Kelvin in 1879, which is--essentially--when my grandparents were born, but actual attempts to build atomic transition clocks only really got going in the 1930s.

I suppose what constitutes "modern" depends on the speaker's age...
It depends what you are comparing to, which was why I gave a comparison point.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “General discussion”