Raspberry Pi Zero Cluster

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi,
Today I saw a video about Raspberry Pi 1 Cluster (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0UgIgcb5g) and I want to replace my PC with Cluster made of 16 Raspberry Pi Zero, small, cheap (less than 100$), and powerful (16 x Single core 1Ghz processor, 8GB RAM). I did a little research and found that Pi Zero has ARMv7 with RISC architecture processor, and I think that CISC architecture is faster and better. Please let me know which is better and should I replace my PC with cluster.
Inspire

ghellquist

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero Cluster

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Short answer: no.

Longer answer:
Each Pi Zero is a slow computer. Very nice for learning programming and such. Extremely slow for most normal PC usage. Having several in a cluster does not help with normal PC usage at all. So, if you want to learn about clustering and dividing software algorithms onto several machines -- go ahead.
If you want to surf on the web, run the occasional game, listen to music and so on -- better keep your PC.

Douglas6

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:49 pm

Computers are not like piles of sand. You cannot put two close together and end up with one computer, twice as big.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:49 pm

3721 wrote:Hi,
Today I saw a video about Raspberry Pi 1 Cluster (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0UgIgcb5g) and I want to replace my PC with Cluster made of 16 Raspberry Pi Zero, small, cheap (less than 100$), and powerful (16 x Single core 1Ghz processor, 8GB RAM). I did a little research and found that Pi Zero has ARMv7 with RISC architecture processor, and I think that CISC architecture is faster and better. Please let me know which is better and should I replace my PC with cluster.
If you search you will find many Cluster Posts and Blogs, this recent posts list a few:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=130364&hilit=+cluster

Obviously you have not undertaken research as the RPi0 has an ARMv6 ARM1176JZF-S Single Core CPU in the BCM2835 SoC....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM11
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks
Inspire

ejolson

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:31 pm

3721 wrote:Thanks
As already mentioned, a PC is rather different than a cluster of Pi Zeros. Which is better for the task at hand depends on the task at hand. The Pi Zero definitely lends itself to experimenting with clusters because of the price and the ability to run the USB port in device mode with the Linux gadget driver. Ideas about building a cluster using the Pi Zero were discussed in this forum last month. The main impediment to building such a cluster is a lack of Pi Zero availability.

It is worth noting that Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya entered a cluster of 135 ARM processors into the ISC 2015 student cluster competition. That competition has a 3 kilowatt power limit, so using ARM chips makes sense. Note, however, that UPC didn't win the competition.

Rod Young

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:26 am

'' Selection of a problem that parallel GPUs could operate on could result in some interesting results, but these cases are left to the reader to discover.''

I have lost the thread where I copied this quote from and the name of the person also.

He was saying the GPU on the Pi zero has some interesting opertinuties.

Rod

ejolson

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Rod Young wrote:'' Selection of a problem that parallel GPUs could operate on could result in some interesting results, but these cases are left to the reader to discover.''

I have lost the thread where I copied this quote from and the name of the person also.

He was saying the GPU on the Pi zero has some interesting opertinuties.

Rod
It is a nice quote even if unattributed. Given the use of the Pi in toy robotics projects, harnessing the GPU in the zero for image processing and to run neural networks would be interesting.
Last edited by ejolson on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:33 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “General discussion”