emma1997

Re: Pi Zero Availability

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:06 pm

ejolson wrote:A Pi Zero with a built-in USB hub already exists and is called the B+.
Actually at a dollar or two (shipped) adding USB hub is not even close to the cost of B+ or any other Pi. It gets tiresome hearing how many insist a $5 computer is the same as a $35 one. I think only those in developing countries and those here who do not have money to burn appreciate the real difference.

emma1997

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:12 pm

Good comeback Fruit. Very strong argument.

Whoops.... deleted.... You are no fun at all l!!!! :)

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:17 pm

emma1997 wrote:
ejolson wrote:A Pi Zero with a built-in USB hub already exists and is called the B+.
Actually at a dollar or two (shipped) adding USB hub is not even close to the cost of B+ or any other Pi. It gets tiresome hearing how many insist a $5 computer is the same as a $35 one. I think only those in developing countries and those here who do not have money to burn appreciate the real difference.
The speed of Ethernet over GPIO is not great therefore one would need to add either:

LAN9512 to the Single USB BUS to provide 2xUSB & Ethernet
or
USB Ethernet Chipset to the Single USB BUS

..both scenarios would add extra circuitry / board layout change / cost.

Therefore RPT would have to manufacture several models of ZERO to suit everyones taste :shock: :shock:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

emma1997

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:23 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: The speed of Ethernet over GPIO is not great therefore one would need to add either:

or

Therefore RPT would have to manufacture several models of ZERO to suit everyones taste :shock: :shock:
MUCH better.

I have to agree with everything you said. This is why IMO suggested "enhancements" make so little sense. There are at least a couple solutions to the single USB problem now: cheap ethernet on rx/tx and kbd/mouse on USB or tty user on rx/tx and wifi/ethernet on USB.
Last edited by emma1997 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emma1997

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
emma1997 wrote:Good comeback Fruit. Very strong argument.

Whoops.... deleted.... You are no fun at all l!!!! :)
WHATEVER :o :o
LOL that's more like it. :)

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:31 pm

emma1997 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: The speed of Ethernet over GPIO is not great therefore one would need to add either:

or

MUCH better.

I have to agree with everything you said. This is why IMO suggested "enhancements" make so little sense. There are at least a couple solutions to the single USB problem now: cheap ethernet on rx/tx and kbd/mouse on USB or tty user on rx/tx and wifi/ethernet on USB.
Other solutions are 'USB "Gadget" Mode and USBNET' Networking.......

BUT is off-topic for this thread about availibility of RPi0, which I have one and enough for me :shock:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Pithagoros

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:34 pm

DirkS wrote:You can add people to your friends / foes lists. Should be in the user control panel and also from a forum members profile page (click on posters name).
Thank you.

BMS Doug

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:34 pm

DirkS wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:one last point, is there no ignore/block facility on these forums? Maybe on the silver theme?
You can add people to your friends / foes lists. Should be in the user control panel and also from a forum members profile page (click on posters name).
+1, This is how to ignore people.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:27 pm

A couple of pages back, I asked people to keep on topic. They didn't and people have been getting rather fraught for no reason. So this thread is being closed. I considered deleting the whole thing TBH, it's over 50% rubbish, and that's being polite.

If you want a thread on Zero availability start a new one. I will delete anything OT immediately.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”